Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condé Nast: The 'New' Alaska Airlines Looks a Lot Like Virgin America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condé Nast: The 'New' Alaska Airlines Looks a Lot Like Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I don't need PTV's, I don't need mood lighting, I don't need dance videos. What I do need however is a decent route network on the East Coast. AS can't provide that so they aren't an option. For those of you who say "Alaska isn't required to serve the entire US", they are at a HUGE competitive disadvantage and are not poised for long term success ignoring half the country.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I flew out of T7 earlier this week. I found the seats in the boarding area some of the best at any airport (but without power). The restroom were clean and uncrowded. Its not the best but it is getting better once all the construction is done. Reminds me of LAX terminal 6. It was a mess during construction but is great now.
If you think any facet of T7 is acceptable I'd encourage you to visit neighboring T5.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I don't need PTV's, I don't need mood lighting, I don't need dance videos. What I do need however is a decent route network on the East Coast. AS can't provide that so they aren't an option. For those of you who say "Alaska isn't required to serve the entire US", they are at a HUGE competitive disadvantage and are not poised for long term success ignoring half the country.
​​​​​​This is a huge problem as an east coast flier. The loss of AA benefits and earning is a huge, whopping blow as an MVP Gold elite.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:03 pm

They have grown for years in the Pacific Northwest and are now trying to create the "Premier West Coast Airline". They might get a more national presence in time, but they cant just unleash service for the whole country at once. There has been a lot of people complaining about AS lately and their network esp from people on the east coast with the loss of DL and AA. I feel like a lot of this complaining is because Mileage Plan is so great and people dont like that the program is no longer viable for them. But AS is not going to bend over backwards to accommodate people who just use MP to bank miles, and maybe fly on AS metal a couple times a year. All of the complaining to me shows how much of an Asset their Loyalty Program is. Just my opinion and AS is far from perfect right now, but AS has some major things for it.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
For those of you who say "Alaska isn't required to serve the entire US", they are at a HUGE competitive disadvantage and are not poised for long term success ignoring half the country.
I guess LH is at a huge competitive disadvantage because they're only hubbed at FRA and MUC. They'll be nobodies until they offer SIN-MEL and MAD-EZE.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by gobeavs8
They have grown for years in the Pacific Northwest and are now trying to create the "Premier West Coast Airline". They might get a more national presence in time, but they cant just unleash service for the whole country at once. There has been a lot of people complaining about AS lately and their network esp from people on the east coast with the loss of DL and AA. I feel like a lot of this complaining is because Mileage Plan is so great and people dont like that the program is no longer viable for them. But AS is not going to bend over backwards to accommodate people who just use MP to bank miles, and maybe fly on AS metal a couple times a year. All of the complaining to me shows how much of an Asset their Loyalty Program is. Just my opinion and AS is far from perfect right now, but AS has some major things for it.
exactly, it doesn't make sense for AS to give attention on East Coast fliers who did most of their miles accumulation on AA/DL. Their attention should be on their own metal on west coast. The East coast MVPs would be much better off finding new airline.

And there really isn't anywhere in East Coast (outside of maybe IAD) that AS could reasonable set up a base.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jinglish
I guess LH is at a huge competitive disadvantage because they're only hubbed at FRA and MUC. They'll be nobodies until they offer SIN-MEL and MAD-EZE.
Not the same thing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Not the same thing.
How is it not? You claimed that AS's major flaw is that they don't have the route network to be viable in the entire US. I don't see any logical reason why you couldn't say the same about LH or BA or or AY--that they'll never be real players unless they hub beyond their home countries and bases throughout the EU--so, please do explain.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:23 am

They can't be everything to everyone, nor should they. They are the dominant carrier in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. They've got their hands full with the California expansion/acquisition. Expand elsewhere? Ridiculous.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Southwest obviously wasn't poised for long term success in the 1970's, what with being an airline that only served Texas...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wont miss those armrest cut outs for the remote and the safety video
I concur, mind you anything over 1,000 NM and I would prefer any IFE, but the TV feed is much less reliable and has way less availability than B6; lack of LNBs I assume.

The armrest does not work for me at all and the safety video is very annoying.

I would much rather have a premium seat on AS with a basic snack and free drinks vs.any plus VX could offer for my travel.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tphuang
And there really isn't anywhere in East Coast (outside of maybe IAD) that AS could reasonable set up a base.
PIT? Especially if chosen to be HQ2.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
PIT? Especially if chosen to be HQ2.
Just not large enough market, HQ2 stuff gets a little overrated in my opinion. Very few flights to west coast to kick start an initial build up.

IAD, you could make a reasonable case that AS can strengthen the transcon network to there and then maybe expand from there. But pretty much anywhere in North East will be a struggle.

I guess if you were to include PIT in the discussions, there are other secondary airports like MEM that have space too, but just not enough demand to west coast or wealth.

The best place for AS to build up a mini-hub would obviously be JFK or EWR, but there is just no space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.