Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska/Parnter--International conncections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I just had a chat with an AS agent who advised me that the only way to book Air Canada with an originating flight on AS was to book them separately, because AC is not a "partner". When I asked if they did any international connecting flights she said only if the original flight is AS and the pax is using member miles. We would like to book connecting luggage from an AS originating flight to an AC and we cannot do that in SEA without going to baggage claim and re-entering through security. I have been told that even though we have a 1:25 min connecting time they will not guarantee luggage getting to Canada on our flight. My agent didn't seem to be too sure of the implications of what she was saying, I am hoping someone here can clarify this:
1. if I wish to book an international flight using AS as my originating carrier--how do I book the international connection?
2. who are the current partners with Alaska. Now that Air France is no longer a partner and they have taken over Virgin--I would like a complete
updated list, which is not available on their website--least not that I could find.

Thank you,
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
1) try an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia

2) Partners: Just know that AF/KLM ends in a couple months and AeroMexico ended 12/31. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...dID:MPPartners
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alpenrose
I just had a chat with an AS agent who advised me that the only way to book Air Canada with an originating flight on AS was to book them separately, because AC is not a "partner". When I asked if they did any international connecting flights she said only if the original flight is AS and the pax is using member miles. We would like to book connecting luggage from an AS originating flight to an AC and we cannot do that in SEA without going to baggage claim and re-entering through security. I have been told that even though we have a 1:25 min connecting time they will not guarantee luggage getting to Canada on our flight. My agent didn't seem to be too sure of the implications of what she was saying, I am hoping someone here can clarify this:
1. if I wish to book an international flight using AS as my originating carrier--how do I book the international connection?
2. who are the current partners with Alaska. Now that Air France is no longer a partner and they have taken over Virgin--I would like a complete
updated list, which is not available on their website--least not that I could find.

Thank you,
For starters, AS does maintain a list of partners, and it's about two clicks from their homepage. AF is still on it because the partnership doesn't actually end for a few more months.

Some carriers, like UA, are more than willing to sell an itinerary that has segments from other random airlines, but AS only tickets paid flights that are AS-marketed (i.e., including AS codeshares on other carriers' metal) and award flights on partners. If AS and AC have an interline agreement--which I think they do, but don't quote me--you can either piece together your desired itinerary using an OTA and get the bags checked through or book separate reservations and see if the AS check-in agent is willing to interline your bag. But you're not going to be able to buy that ticket from Alaska.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by alpenrose
We would like to book connecting luggage from an AS originating flight to an AC and we cannot do that in SEA without going to baggage claim and re-entering through security. I have been told that even though we have a 1:25 min connecting time they will not guarantee luggage getting to Canada on our flight.
Is part of the problem also that your connection time is too short for AS to interline the luggage to AC? I have had luggage interlined multiple times from AS to another carrier, both as part of the same ticket (ie, a mileage redemption), and as two separate tickets. In both cases, I believe I had more that ninety minutes as I tend to prefer a connection of two hours or greater if I have two separate tickets. If you absolutely have to fly AS, would it be possible to take an earlier flight to SEA to allow for a longer connection time? I'm not sure exactly what your routing is but perhaps UA to AC might just make this easier since both are in Star Alliance.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Is part of the problem also that your connection time is too short for AS to interline the luggage to AC? I have had luggage interlined multiple times from AS to another carrier, both as part of the same ticket (ie, a mileage redemption), and as two separate tickets. In both cases, I believe I had more that ninety minutes as I tend to prefer a connection of two hours or greater if I have two separate tickets. If you absolutely have to fly AS, would it be possible to take an earlier flight to SEA to allow for a longer connection time? I'm not sure exactly what your routing is but perhaps UA to AC might just make this easier since both are in Star Alliance.
Alliances and partnerships really don't have much to do with this. AS has interline ticketing/baggage agreements with most carriers, whether not they are at "war". Although AS won't sell you the ticket directly, most travel agencies can and will, and you'll benefit from being on one ticket for irrops, baggage transfer, etc (as long as you're not sold an illegal connection due to minimum connect times, etc.) Alliances and partnerships don't mean squat with baggage transfers these days - you're at the mercy of a nice agent willing to break the rules if you're on separate tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Alliances and partnerships really don't have much to do with this. AS has interline ticketing/baggage agreements with most carriers, whether not they are at "war". Although AS won't sell you the ticket directly, most travel agencies can and will, and you'll benefit from being on one ticket for irrops, baggage transfer, etc (as long as you're not sold an illegal connection due to minimum connect times, etc.) Alliances and partnerships don't mean squat with baggage transfers these days - you're at the mercy of a nice agent willing to break the rules if you're on separate tickets.
I didn't make it clear since I was talking about the interlining of luggage but I meant that it may be easier for OP to purchase a UA/AC ticket than it would be to trawl through Orbitz/Expedia/whatever to find an AS/AC ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
AC and AS do have an inter line agreement. I have an itinerary booked by my corporate travel agent connecting from AC to AS. As others have said, an online travel agent should be able to do the same, though it may be expensive.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Can anybody cite the 'typical' MCT for AS domestic to AC transborder? If it's greater than 1:25, strategies to book on AC/UA or through other online travel agencies won't work.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:04 pm

After my experience transiting BA --> AS at SEA a few weeks ago, I'd say don't bother with the interline and just exit, take the train to the main area and check your bag again there. The AS transfer desk was staffed with only 1 person, and there were at least 30 people in line trying to get their bag re-checked. Once you did that, there were probably at least another 100 people in the 1 open security line. It may have just been bad timing, but there were 3 DL international flights, a Hainan flight and a BA flight that all landed within 20 minutes of each other causing chaos. I just gave up and exited and went to the AS check-in desk in the main terminal. I probably would have missed my flight had I not done that.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
After my experience transiting BA --> AS at SEA a few weeks ago, I'd say don't bother with the interline and just exit, take the train to the main area and check your bag again there. The AS transfer desk was staffed with only 1 person, and there were at least 30 people in line trying to get their bag re-checked. Once you did that, there were probably at least another 100 people in the 1 open security line. It may have just been bad timing, but there were 3 DL international flights, a Hainan flight and a BA flight that all landed within 20 minutes of each other causing chaos. I just gave up and exited and went to the AS check-in desk in the main terminal. I probably would have missed my flight had I not done that.
That can be a good option (and also lets you use precheck, if applicable), but I don't think it's a reason not to interline. It's still useful to have your bag tagged to your final destination, first in case the recheck line after Customs is short and second to expedite dropping the bag off at the regular AS ticket counter.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Can anybody cite the 'typical' MCT for AS domestic to AC transborder? If it's greater than 1:25, strategies to book on AC/UA or through other online travel agencies won't work.
AS-AC DI MCT is 90 minutes at SEA, according to ExpertFlyer, so you're right.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Buster
Last time I had an int'l CXN at SEA I did a similar thing. Dropped off my bag with AS [Already tagged thru from KL and DL] and looked at the TSA line... yup. Forgetaboutit! They need a staffed pre-check lane there. Went thru the A gates Pre Check lane there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.