West Coast Crowded w/ Elites

Old Jan 23, 18, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

West Coast Crowded w/ Elites

Just curious if anyone else is noticing the west coast getting much more crowded with elite fliers lately. I've been flying Alaska a while now out of SFO/SJC/OAK to Alaska, the PnW, SoCal, and the east coast. I don't quite remember ever seeing 30+ people on an upgrade list as I have been seeing lately with SFO flights to SEA.

Maybe I'm going crazy, or just noticing for the first time, but curious if anyone else has gotten the same feeling. Perhaps Alaska's targeted marketing all around CA is working? Hopefully the quality of travel doesn't deteriorate down to the same level as American Airlines or UAL.
Old Jan 23, 18, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Well one would figure all their elites ARE based on the West Coast, as they have no East Coast network.
milypan, zeer0, innerspace and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
From personal experience, assume there are many others like me: As an AA lifetime platinum elite, I enjoyed reciprocal elite benefits on AS, but rarely had reason to fly the Eskimo. As AS developed its focus city in SAN, to all Hawaiian islands, transcon nonstops to BOS, EWR and MCO, then intra-California to FAT, SJC and SMF, it became the carrier of choice for much of my travel. As the AA-AS partnership dissolved, it made sense to fly AS enough to earn MPV / MVPG status.
The FT AS forum has a fair share of whiners, but as a long-term elite who suffered through the downfall of AA, devaluation of the Aadvantage program and elite benefits, I am quite pleased to be a loyal AS customer.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by strider4216 View Post
Just curious if anyone else is noticing the west coast getting much more crowded with elite fliers lately. I've been flying Alaska a while now out of SFO/SJC/OAK to Alaska, the PnW, SoCal, and the east coast. I don't quite remember ever seeing 30+ people on an upgrade list as I have been seeing lately with SFO flights to SEA.

Maybe I'm going crazy, or just noticing for the first time, but curious if anyone else has gotten the same feeling. Perhaps Alaska's targeted marketing all around CA is working? Hopefully the quality of travel doesn't deteriorate down to the same level as American Airlines or UAL.
30 isnít that bad. Iíve seen it on the wrong side of 50 on SEA-ANC, JNU-ANC, and SEA-DCA (and reverse).
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
We're still dealing with all the status matches from the last year or two, plus everyone who had Elevate status got comped into status on AS this year. I think 2019 will be more then new normal in terms of elite ranks. As evidenced on this forum, we have a few frequent flyers who aren't seeing as much value from AS as their primary program anymore, so they'll be dropping off, along with any comped/matched status that aren't actually putting in the BIS miles in 2018.
ptownca likes this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Remember we've lost DL and AA (for the most part) as domestic partners. Anyone remaining on AS and flying domestically (pretty much) has to fly AS.

At the same time, some won't be able to deal and will move on.
mczlaw likes this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 4:28 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
At first, I thought you were complaining about there being a lot of elites on the west coast.
To which, my response would be, "Duh."
But after reading it, I realize your observation is that there has been, in your experience, an INCREASE in the number of elites on your flights.

I think this could be very true, and due to a couple of reasons:
1. The merger. Elite passengers from Virgin are now elite passengers on Alaska. They have more travel options on the combined carrier, so it stands to reason that sometimes you'd see more of them. And vice-versa.
2. The value of Mileage Plan. Even lay-people are able to figure out that Mileage Plan is a FAR BETTER program than ANYTHING ELSE offered in the USA. Granted, it has some severe drawbacks, particularly with the loss of Delta and American as realistic earning options. But it's still tremendous in its potential.

So I think the elite ranks have swelled.
And Alaska is generous with status matches; that's how I got here, myself! But I foresee no difficulty in actually earning my status, too. I just wanted the match so that I didn't spend a year of flying without it!
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:01 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I've noticed the lists are 35+ on flights that typically had 10-15 this time last year. *shrugs*
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Plat.
I have not confirmed this, but was told that all Amazon employees were given Gold status. So, if true, that could be why.
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
I've noticed the lists are 35+ on flights that typically had 10-15 this time last year. *shrugs*
especially true if youíve already bought up to F, or youíre #1 or #2 on the list anyway, or youíre anywhere below maybe #6
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY View Post
I have not confirmed this, but was told that all Amazon employees were given Gold status. So, if true, that could be why.
There were promos given out to Microsoft and Amazon employees. Fly 2 round trips between March-ish and June, and you got 20,000 EQM.
Old Jan 23, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
There were promos given out to Microsoft and Amazon employees. Fly 2 round trips between March-ish and June, and you got 20,000 EQM.

*Starts looking for job at Microsoft or Amazon...*
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:08 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
My neighbor has gotten this 2 years in a row now. Has to fly 2 round trips by the end of March. 3rd round trip constitutes 5,000 bonus miles (redeemable).
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:09 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?

nope.
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
It's not Gold, but they do have an offer for faster redeemable miles and for MVP, making it much easier for them to reach Gold. Offer details here: https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS16...-offers:amazon

Search this Thread
Search Engine: