Community
Wiki Posts
Search

West Coast Crowded w/ Elites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ctporter
True, but still there ARE routes where upgrades happen more often than not regardless of fare bucket, I think in this case they might have been asking if the 75k was using a Y, S, B, M, H or Z fare vs something like an R fare and getting 100% upgraded.
thats really what I was getting at
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by ctporter
True, but still there ARE routes where upgrades happen more often than not regardless of fare bucket, I think in this case they might have been asking if the 75k was using a Y, S, B, M, H or Z fare vs something like an R fare and getting 100% upgraded.
I almost always use r or cheap bucket list. Almost always upgraded on pdx to ord, LAX , San , den via sea, mco , dca and bos
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Saturday morning JFK-SEA, everyone upgraded...no waitlist!
bbinchi and UAPremierExec like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
I started flying AS five years ago when I moved to PDX. Made MVP at the end of the first year. Second year as MVP out of PDX I was upgraded close to 75% flying mostly SJC, SAN amd SFO. Three years ago I only got 2 upgrades over about 20 segments. Two years ago and I got one. This year made MVPG in June and 75K in November. Occasionally notice the waitlists in SJC hitting 50+ and being in 20th spot when I don't get upgraded but those are exceptions. As a Gold I hit 50% on Cali upgrades. No Cali trips as 75k yet but expect better results this year.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I have seen flights out of ANC where over half of the plane filled up when they called for elite boarding.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:29 am

Hi -

Today is the first time I did not get AS F this year. Now 12/13 -- 8/9 transcons, 2/2 mid-cons, 2/2 PDX-SEA (on E175). All flights either leaving or arriving from/to PDX.

And the miss today is not bad -- the back of the plane is 1/3 full. A whole row to myself to take a stretched out nap.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:50 pm

Even last spring I saw 60+ people on the upgrade list for SEA-SJC on Monday morning. A friend that travels SEA-DFW on a semi-regular basis saw 37 people on the SEA-DFW upgrade list last Sunday afternoon!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:08 pm

That wold not surprise me -- there are probably a lot of people needing to be in DFW Monday AM and not wanting a red-eye.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA 2.3 mil, AS MVP
AA lifetime Platinum with son flying AA not earning AS miles any more :(

Originally Posted by diver858
From personal experience, assume there are many others like me: As an AA lifetime platinum elite, I enjoyed reciprocal elite benefits on AS, but rarely had reason to fly the Eskimo. As AS developed its focus city in SAN, to all Hawaiian islands, transcon nonstops to BOS, EWR and MCO, then intra-California to FAT, SJC and SMF, it became the carrier of choice for much of my travel. As the AA-AS partnership dissolved, it made sense to fly AS enough to earn MPV / MVPG status.
The FT AS forum has a fair share of whiners, but as a long-term elite who suffered through the downfall of AA, devaluation of the Aadvantage program and elite benefits, I am quite pleased to be a loyal AS customer.
Yes, I am also an AA lifetime Platinum with 2.4 mil, based in SAN, and have always placed my AS miles into AA. Having reached that level in 2009, I then put most of my miles into AS while flying AS and BA and Qantas, but now I am running into terrible trouble with having built up my son's miles on AA to the 600,000 mile level already hoping to go permanent Gold before he is 18 (he is 11, flying 50,000+ miles a year, mostly internationally with me), and our booking AA for him (with me) will not get me AS miles, but I really want to requalify for AS Gold again. He is a minor, so I cannot book BA for me and AA for him on the same flights. I would rather fly and earn AS all the time now with the fantastic service and attitude and food I get on AS, but I need to get my miles from flights to Europe (where I used to get my AA and BA miles) and NZ and AU (Qantas miles).

(On the original topic, based in SAN, I have been superlucky to get tons of free upgrades on AS even when I paid very little for my fares, but then, I also buy first class tickets outright in between, when I am late in the game, and the difference between full fare economy and First Class is not that big).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Bavaria
(On the original topic, based in SAN, I have been superlucky to get tons of free upgrades on AS even when I paid very little for my fares, but then, I also buy first class tickets outright in between, when I am late in the game, and the difference between full fare economy and First Class is not that big).
Flew AS SAN-SJC, then SMF-SAN this past week, on CHEAP coach fares, EASILY ended up in first on both legs @ T-48 hrs.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Just as with any airline, if you are flying to or from a hub, there is going to be huge competition for upgrades. I get upgraded every time, as a Gold, flying to/from LAX or SAN transcon. I know that if I am going to/from ANC, SEA, PDX, my chance is going to be less and I accept that. My U/G % for the last three years was 75%, 95%, and 80%, but this year only 66% so far. I blame the lack of a fourth row of F for the reduced %, much more than the fact there are more elites.
captobie likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
52 on the upgrade waitlist for this morning’s ANC-JNU flight.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Major G
I blame the lack of a fourth row of F for the reduced %, much more than the fact there are more elites.
^^^
This is generally the case for me as well, but only accounts for 4 seats; little difference to those in the double-digits on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by diver858
Flew AS SAN-SJC, then SMF-SAN this past week, on CHEAP coach fares, EASILY ended up in first on both legs @ T-48 hrs.
I'm worried about the SAN-SJC route. As a regular flyer (1-2 roundtrips/mo on this route), I routinely see F go out with empty seats and the back less than half full. They must be getting killed, but hopefully they keep it to connect their new focus cities, as I certainly enjoy the E175 F seat to the WN cattle cars otherwise plying the route.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Major G
Just as with any airline, if you are flying to or from a hub, there is going to be huge competition for upgrades. I get upgraded every time, as a Gold, flying to/from LAX or SAN transcon. I know that if I am going to/from ANC, SEA, PDX, my chance is going to be less and I accept that. My U/G % for the last three years was 75%, 95%, and 80%, but this year only 66% so far. I blame the lack of a fourth row of F for the reduced %, much more than the fact there are more elites.
Add Juneau to that list. While there isn't a HUGE MVP Gold / 75K population here, the inbound elite traffic is significant. As a 75K I've been #10 or more on the UG list. Gold, don't even get me started. As a Gold, I've said goodbye to First Class in and out of Juneau, unless its the 7AM SEA-JNU flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.