Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connections, baggage, confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Question Connections, baggage, confusion

Hello! Apologies in advance for the eye rolling as I don't know where to put these questions and stressing out!

I'm trying to get from Flint, MI (FNT) to Cordova, AK (CDV) in the same day, end of March. Just purchased a (1?) ticket with 4 separate flights involving ORD, SEA and ANC in between, am traveling alone and plan to have 1 checked bag along with my backpack and personal item. Only have been to ORD and FNT.

Very concerned about the risky connection times, "terminal changes" and what I'm supposed to do with my 1 checked bag. Have been scarred from a missed flight nightmare last year...

I attached a screenshot of my itinerary. Not allowed to post links? All Economy seats

United 6:10AM (FNT) >> 6:29AM (ORD)
1h 31m layover
Alaska 8:00AM (ORD) >> 10:41AM (SEA)
1h 19m layover
Alaska 12:00PM (SEA) >> 2:36PM (ANC)
44m layover
Alaska 3:20PM (ANC) >> 4:07PM (CDV)

Step 1, check my bag in Flint before United flight- do they send it to Cordova? Do I have to claim the bag in Chicago and re-check with Alaska Airlines? Pay the fee again? Is that possible for a 1h 31m connection at ORD?
Arriving at SEA, 1h 19m connection mid-day, headed to Anchorage- probably reason to panic? Afterwards the 44m connection to Cordova?

Thank you for any input. I have bad and minimal experience with flying and everyone on this board seems extremely knowledgeable.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by asdf2
Hello! Apologies in advance for the eye rolling as I don't know where to put these questions and stressing out!

I'm trying to get from Flint, MI (FNT) to Cordova, AK (CDV) in the same day, end of March. Just purchased a (1?) ticket with 4 separate flights involving ORD, SEA and ANC in between, am traveling alone and plan to have 1 checked bag along with my backpack and personal item. Only have been to ORD and FNT.

Very concerned about the risky connection times, "terminal changes" and what I'm supposed to do with my 1 checked bag. Have been scarred from a missed flight nightmare last year...

I attached a screenshot of my itinerary. Not allowed to post links? All Economy seats

United 6:10AM (FNT) >> 6:29AM (ORD)
1h 31m layover
Alaska 8:00AM (ORD) >> 10:41AM (SEA)
1h 19m layover
Alaska 12:00PM (SEA) >> 2:36PM (ANC)
44m layover
Alaska 3:20PM (ANC) >> 4:07PM (CDV)

Step 1, check my bag in Flint before United flight- do they send it to Cordova? Do I have to claim the bag in Chicago and re-check with Alaska Airlines? Pay the fee again? Is that possible for a 1h 31m connection at ORD?
Arriving at SEA, 1h 19m connection mid-day, headed to Anchorage- probably reason to panic? Afterwards the 44m connection to Cordova?

Thank you for any input. I have bad and minimal experience with flying and everyone on this board seems extremely knowledgeable.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags

Travel may be solely on Alaska Airlines but can still be subject to another airline's bag charges. Refer to your travel confirmation to determine which airline's baggage policy applies.
Where did you buy the ticket? United? Alaska? A third party like Priceline or Orbitz? The baggage rules are part of the ticket.

Also:

Travel that includes multiple airlines or tickets

If your travel includes multiple tickets, and/or travel on more than one airline, your baggage fees and rules may be determined by the other airline. Please check your ticket, or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 to help determine which airline rules and fees apply to your journey.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I don't see much of an issue as long as you bought a ticket on either AS or UA and the entire trip is ticketed on a single reservation. All the baggage should transfer after you check it in Flint, and the connections look fine (the ANC connection is tighter then I like but still doable).

Last edited by jsguyrus; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
You will not change terminals on this set of flights, at least not in a way you will materially notice. You will go through TSA security in FNT and won't have to do it again anywhere else. If you bought your ticket as a single fare, you'll most likely pay UA's checked bag fee in FNT ($25 unless oversize) then you'll see your bag again in CDV on the bag claim. Your connection times are not that bad, the ANC one is the most concerning, but should be fine.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the reassurance, the three of you. I bought the ticket through UA. Good to know TSA once, picturing the connections now, and the bag will manage. Will make sure to know where everything is. Think I was looking up posts where people had multiple tickets and such. Thanks again
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
You could have a bit of a hike in ORD if you arrive on the C gates, otherwise just stay inside security and high-tail it over to the L concourse, where Alaska operates. Should take about 20 or so minutes to walk it.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
And don't be too worried if one of your arrivals is late and you miss the connection. Since it's all on one ticket, you'll be protected and placed on either a later flight or different routing to CDV.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This one was over-complicated by some posters.

OP is on a single ticket FNT-CDV. Under US law the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments. I presume that to be UA for FNT-ORD. Thus, the allowance is zero and the fee is $25 payable to UA at FNT. Bags are checked through to CDV and that is the end of the issue.

OP can verify all of this by looking at his e-ticket receipt. It will show the charges, if any, for the first and second bags for each segment.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by jinglish
And don't be too worried if one of your arrivals is late and you miss the connection. Since it's all on one ticket, you'll be protected and placed on either a later flight or different routing to CDV.
Which is one of 2 flights a day, mind you :P One thru ANC, one thru JNU.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
You could have a bit of a hike in ORD if you arrive on the C gates, otherwise just stay inside security and high-tail it over to the L concourse, where Alaska operates. Should take about 20 or so minutes to walk it.
They moved to H4 a while ago, so even closer.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...Guides-Chicago
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's a healthy hike, but there will be lots of shops and eating spots along the way, if you're interested. In the main terminal, stay along the windows facing the planes as you walk to the H/K concourse.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Q

Which is one of 2 flights a day, mind you :P One thru ANC, one thru JNU.
If the OP misconnects somewhere, maybe they'd be put on 7H? At least they give out a free cookie on the 200'
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Definitely hoping, needing and going to be in Cordova on the same day, no missed flights or even cookies! On the UA website now with the e-ticket receipt and seeing "bag to CDV" more clearly. Also read about the apparent ease of connecting domestic flights between three terminals at ORD on their website. Didn't expect ANC to seem/be so large. Thanks again, feeling way more confident
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Definitely hoping, needing and going to be in Cordova on the same day, no missed flights or even cookies! On the UA website now with the e-ticket receipt and seeing "bag to CDV" more clearly. Also read about the apparent ease of connecting domestic flights between three terminals at ORD on their website. Didn't expect ANC to seem/be so large. Thanks again, feeling way more confident
Should work out ok.

Be sure to check out the taco bus in CDV

And welcome to Flyertalk asdf2, and the Alaska Airlines forum.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Greetings from Anchorage. It isn't large.
Alaska operates out of one linear concourse, that being concourse C.
Nine gates.
44 minutes is enough time to make the connection AND use the restroom!
We do have one of the nicest lil' airports in the nation. But it is not "big."
asdf2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.