Partner Award on AS

Old Jan 21, 18, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Partner Award on AS

I've regularly been using the BA ans Qantas sites to successfully find award availability that I'd then book by calling Alaska - as recently as 3 weeks ago. For some reason - it's not working quite as well now. I found the same 3 seats in J on both BA and Qantas, but called AS to book and they had 0. I then tried another date in which BA had none and AS had more. Is BA and Qantas not the site to use? Is there something better to find AS partner award space (specifically on CX routes)
Old Jan 21, 18, 7:55 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post
I've regularly been using the BA ans Qantas sites to successfully find award availability that I'd then book by calling Alaska - as recently as 3 weeks ago. For some reason - it's not working quite as well now. I found the same 3 seats in J on both BA and Qantas, but called AS to book and they had 0. I then tried another date in which BA had none and AS had more. Is BA and Qantas not the site to use? Is there something better to find AS partner award space (specifically on CX routes)
I've also seen space that JAL will release to AS that isn't available to oneworld partners, and space available to oneworld partners that isn't available to AS. While JAL availability actually shows on the AS website, for CX I think you have to call and ask.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
I've also seen space that JAL will release to AS that isn't available to oneworld partners, and space available to oneworld partners that isn't available to AS. While JAL availability actually shows on the AS website, for CX I think you have to call and ask.
Thanks, interesting. I've always thought that checking BA and Qantas were solid options. I had been checking for CX routes almost daily for weeks on end and when I'd call - it would match. I think I'm going to have to just wait until a week before, they'll typically release lots of J (and F) then.
Old Jan 23, 18, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS is the best source for booking other carriers. AS' access to inventory may mirror that of other carriers, but this is not guaranteed. And AS tends to have a delay in accessing said inventory [based on my experience].

<Mod Hat on>

We'll move this thread to the Alaska Airlines forum, as the OP is requesting information about using AS miles. Previous discussions have occurred on these matters, so additional mergers may occur.

This thread has also been cleaned up, in accordance with Rule 12 of Flyertalk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread by Pookynubbers that this all started from:- U.S. to BKK, REP, DPS (in J)
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
There is a loose but not exact correlation between Alaska award inventory and inventory bookable by partners. Alaska usually has access to more limited Cathay Pacific inventory than British Airways. However, it's exceedingly rare that Alaska will have availability when British Airways doesn't.

Detailed thread with information and strategies: Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability 2017 and Later

Search this Thread
Search Engine: