Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As changed flight- options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

As changed flight- options

I just logged into my account and noticed that AS has changed our flight completely from and afternoon departure at 12:30pm to an earlier in the morning flight at 7:50am. The afternoon flight does not even exist now. I have not clicked to confirm the changes yet but wondering what my options are. This particular flight is one that is getting us from Dallas to LA the day before, because we are flying out of LAX early the next morning on HA to Hawaii. I just really am not excited about having to fly out so early, and we had only planned to shuttle to the hotel in LA and eat/sleep, where as now we would have an entire day in LA (not really wanting to spend the extra money to drive around and find stuff to fill the day with). Obviously we will most likely have to take the super early flight now, but since there is so much of a time change is there anything else to know before I call and confirm the changes? It also does not appear there are as many seats available on the new flight so how does that work if we were wanting to still get seated together? Just wondering if anyone has had an experience with this and what I should know before I automatically accept the changes.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you can request a full refund (miles and fees if it’s an award ticket, original form of payment or My Wallet if it’s a revenue ticket) and then purchase tix on another airline
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
you can request a full refund (miles and fees if it’s an award ticket, original form of payment or My Wallet if it’s a revenue ticket) and then purchase tix on another airline
Unfortunately AS is the best option for us getting to LA in this situation, so realistically we will need to just take the super early morning flight on the same day, or take the super late flight. We had chosen the one right in the middle as it was the best one at the time (a happy medium). At the time of booking our middle flight was also the most expensive (points and money wise) compared to the other two, so I just feel like now we are stuck with choosing a less desirable flight with less desirable seats available. They have also, since our original booking, raised the price and points for the other two flights that day, so it doesn't look as if we are getting a downgrade, but I just kind of feel that way. I would almost choose the evening flight as it would solve our "what do we do all day in LA" issue with the morning one, but I always have a fear of if you take the last flight of the day and something happens with your flight to keep you from getting there, and since we are flying out early the next morning on a separate carrier I just think that is risky, if that makes sense.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Unfortunately AS is the best option for us getting to LA in this situation, so realistically we will need to just take the super early morning flight on the same day, or take the super late flight. We had chosen the one right in the middle as it was the best one at the time (a happy medium). At the time of booking our middle flight was also the most expensive (points and money wise) compared to the other two, so I just feel like now we are stuck with choosing a less desirable flight with less desirable seats available. They have also, since our original booking, raised the price and points for the other two flights that day, so it doesn't look as if we are getting a downgrade, but I just kind of feel that way. I would almost choose the evening flight as it would solve our "what do we do all day in LA" issue with the morning one, but I always have a fear of if you take the last flight of the day and something happens with your flight to keep you from getting there, and since we are flying out early the next morning on a separate carrier I just think that is risky, if that makes sense.
Just curious...why is AS the best at getting you to LA in this situation? I’m not doubting you...but if you’re flying from Dallas you’ve got plenty of options. Even if you want to fly from Love and not DFW, WN is always an option on top of the 4 other airlines flying nonstop from DFW to LAX
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:29 pm

If you weren’t elite they would basically waive the per person change fee of $125, so that should be the minimum they offer you in terms of a future use discount code. I have had good luck getting this level of compensation in the past.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jk88usa

Just curious...why is AS the best at getting you to LA in this situation? I’m not doubting you...but if you’re flying from Dallas you’ve got plenty of options. Even if you want to fly from Love and not DFW, WN is always an option on top of the 4 other airlines flying nonstop from DFW to LAX
No worries, that's a legitimate question. We used a combination of miles and cash for the 4 total tickets to keep the price for this leg of our trip at a min. And the cash price we paid for some of the tickets was still lower than even WN has for the same date.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
If you weren’t elite they would basically waive the per person change fee of $125, so that should be the minimum they offer you in terms of a future use discount code. I have had good luck getting this level of compensation in the past.
We are AS cardholders currently but do not have any sort of status with them currently. I guess bottom line is we will need to stick with the morning or try and change to the evening, but I just feel both flights are not at the value in terms of the cash and points paid, and also the seats selection is not as great, but maybe I'm just putting too much into the whole situation. Just bummed.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Even though the prices on the two remaining are higher now, might as well ask for the difference in points/money at your original booking and/or ask for waived premium class seats for the inconvenience.

ETA: Also, take a look at other flights such as AA (or UA & DL that Alaska also interlines with) and ask if they'll reaccomadate you on one of those if it fits closer to your schedule. AS is unlikely to move you, but you'll never know for sure if you don't ask. Then follow up with a request for the difference and PC seats instead.
Jenn0625 likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS
We had the same thing happen to us. the replacement flight put in place of our original flight was not acceptable. I went to AS site and searched for days and flights that would better suit us. Found a VX flight and checked seat map to make sure there were good seats. Called AS listed on My Trips page and had AS Reservations CS take care of it. Always ask nicely, "we really appreciate all you at AS do for us" etc. No change fees and no up fare , as they were the ones to cancel flight. worked out for us. Good Luck.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
They have also, since our original booking, raised the price and points for the other two flights that day ...
since AS cancelled the flight you originally booked, they are obligated to either (1) reaccommodate you on one of their other flights at no additional cost or (2) give you a full refund

I’d suggest you do a bit of homework first: look on the AS website for acceptable options (such as a connection via SFO/SJC, or award space on AA) for both revenue and award space between DAL/DFW and LAX on the date you want to travel ... if you find something that works, request AS Customer Service to assist with rebooking
dayone and Jenn0625 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What airport were you originally flying from DAL or DFW? Was it an AS flight or a VX flight? Don't know what day you are flying but picking a random day this week there is a 12:16 PM VX flight from DAL-LAX. And there are a lot of connecting flights, some to LAX some to BUR. all mid day. Look at what is available on the day you are flying and call AS. VX is definitely on option to ask for as is part of AS.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
We had the same thing happen to us. the replacement flight put in place of our original flight was not acceptable. I went to AS site and searched for days and flights that would better suit us. Found a VX flight and checked seat map to make sure there were good seats. Called AS listed on My Trips page and had AS Reservations CS take care of it. Always ask nicely, "we really appreciate all you at AS do for us" etc. No change fees and no up fare , as they were the ones to cancel flight. worked out for us. Good Luck.
Thank you for sharing you experience and glad it worked out for you guys! I have been looking all morning at lots of different scenarios, airports, and other carriers, and honestly the flight they moved us to, compared to everything else I have been able to find, is still the best option given the situation. Obviously not the end of the world just a less than convenient hiccup that will have us reevaluate our plans and what to do with the new ones. I think I will still call in and speak with them first just to see what they say. I don't have any experiences with AS at all (good or bad), but I do believe if the right approach is taken, most companies are willing to work with you and try to make things right, within reason.

Last edited by Jenn0625; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
What airport were you originally flying from DAL or DFW? Was it an AS flight or a VX flight? Don't know what day you are flying but picking a random day this week there is a 12:16 PM VX flight from DAL-LAX. And there are a lot of connecting flights, some to LAX some to BUR. all mid day. Look at what is available on the day you are flying and call AS. VX is definitely on option to ask for as is part of AS.
flying out of DAL. I searched all surrounding airports before booking the original to make sure I picked the best one (at the time)
I believe it's a VX plane and not a AS plane, purely speculating because it's listed as an airbus plane and has the seating setup identical to the VX airbuses.
The flight is not until June (which I realize is a minute from now and obviously the chances of having flights changed 5-6 months out is quite great)
Trying to keep it as a non stop, which again is why the flight they moved us to is still better than anything else I have been able to find, just bummed my flight is gone
The weird thing is the normal flight schedule for DAL-LAX non stop lists 3 flights daily ( 7:50am- 9:04am, 12:30pm- 1:49pm, and 6:55pm-8:15pm) but for some reason, the one day we picked the 12:30 flight, it's now gone, but all of the other days it's still listed as a one of the 3 normal daily flights except for Saturdays now (which is the day we are flying on). Seems odd that they would take that one flight out of their schedule since it's a good time and not some odd ball flight on a weekday. But who knows lol?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flying out of DAL. I searched all surrounding airports before booking the original to make sure I picked the best one (at the time)
I believe it's a VX plane and not a AS plane, purely speculating because it's listed as an airbus plane and has the seating setup identical to the VX airbuses.
The flight is not until June (which I realize is a minute from now and obviously the chances of having flights changed 5-6 months out is quite great)
Trying to keep it as a non stop, which again is why the flight they moved us to is still better than anything else I have been able to find, just bummed my flight is gone
The weird thing is the normal flight schedule for DAL-LAX non stop lists 3 flights daily ( 7:50am- 9:04am, 12:30pm- 1:49pm, and 6:55pm-8:15pm) but for some reason, the one day we picked the 12:30 flight, it's now gone, but all of the other days it's still listed as a one of the 3 normal daily flights except for Saturdays now (which is the day we are flying on). Seems odd that they would take that one flight out of their schedule since it's a good time and not some odd ball flight on a weekday. But who knows lol?
Thanks for the extra info. All I can say is good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The weird thing is the normal flight schedule for DAL-LAX non stop lists 3 flights daily ( 7:50am- 9:04am, 12:30pm- 1:49pm, and 6:55pm-8:15pm) but for some reason, the one day we picked the 12:30 flight, it's now gone, but all of the other days it's still listed as a one of the 3 normal daily flights except for Saturdays now (which is the day we are flying on). Seems odd that they would take that one flight out of their schedule since it's a good time and not some odd ball flight on a weekday ...
  1. ​​​​​​​​​I’d guess the jet actually comes into DAL from LaGuardia or Washington National
  2. seasonal Saturday mid-morning frequency reductions are VERY common

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.