FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Inbound/outbound different airline? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1889314-inbound-outbound-different-airline.html)

neurosciguy Jan 19, 2018 10:32 am

Inbound/outbound different airline?

This has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it, plus I'm new here. On Alaska's system, can I book a round-trip international ticket using miles with a different airline going out and coming back? A rep on the phone said I couldn't but someone else said it wasn't an issue. Anyone have any experience with this?

PABE Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, you can. I’ve flown LATAM and Aeroméxico on a single award reservation (and AM+AA, BA+DL, DL+FI, etc).

99% of Alaska fares (revenue or award) are one-way fares, so if you can’t get it to work, you would always split it into two reservations. The only r/t fare I can think of are KE awards, but you can still mix them with other airlines.

PDXPremier Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by neurosciguy (Post 29313191)
This has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it, plus I'm new here. On Alaska's system, can I book a round-trip international ticket using miles with a different airline going out and coming back? A rep on the phone said I couldn't but someone else said it wasn't an issue. Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, you can use different airlines for each direction--you're essentially booking two one-way tickets so the outbound doesn't really have any effect on the inbound and vice versa.

neurosciguy Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am

I guess I should clarify; round trip on ONE ticket, not simply booking each leg individually. Yeah as mentioned above Korean air charges round-trip price for a one-way ticket. I could book them on my outbound leg, but there's no availability with them coming back. There IS availability on JAL for the the return leg, but according to the Alaska rep I spoke to I can't book both of them on one RT ticket. Buying the JAL ticket one-way is fine (no price difference), but yeah to book with Korean one-way is just ridiculous to pay RT fare.

jrl767 Jan 19, 2018 11:14 am

AS only allows one partner on an award ticket, so when booking RT you're hosed if the partner only has availability in one direction

PABE Jan 19, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by neurosciguy (Post 29313273)
I guess I should clarify; round trip on ONE ticket, not simply booking each leg individually. Yeah as mentioned above Korean air charges round-trip price for a one-way ticket. I could book them on my outbound leg, but there's no availability with them coming back. There IS availability on JAL for the the return leg, but according to the Alaska rep I spoke to I can't book both of them on one RT ticket. Buying the JAL ticket one-way is fine (no price difference), but yeah to book with Korean one-way is just ridiculous to pay RT fare.

You can in fact put two partners on a r/t reservation (see below). I only suggested two one-ways if you were facing difficulties with an agent.

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29313377)
AS only allows one partner on an award ticket, so when booking RT you're hosed if the partner only has availability in one direction

This is false. Alaska allows one partner PER DIRECTION. See screenshot below. It even halved the amount for the Korean Air flight as it should.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4e04091133.png

jrl767 Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm

okay, I stand humbled and corrected ...

PABE Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29313654)
okay, I stand humbled and corrected ...

No worries! Just realized that my last message came across as a bit rude. Apologies.

ashill Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Another example, showing clearly that AS is charging 35k each way for a KE US-Asia trip as part of a round trip even though the other direction doesn't involve KE.https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...466bcdac7e.png

CDKing Jan 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Just be cautious, once a Korean Air leg is flown, the reservation becomes stuck as round trip and the return can no loner be refunded. If KE is on the return then if you need to cancel the return you get the return half credited back to the MP account.

PABE Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29314451)
Just be cautious, once a Korean Air leg is flown, the reservation becomes stuck as round trip and the return can no loner be refunded. If KE is on the return then if you need to cancel the return you get the return half credited back to the MP account.

This is true. I have a half-used DL/FI J award that I had to cancel the return (FI) and agents can't figure out how to rebook.