Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

I have a bunch of Ultimate Rewards points that I would like to use to book a flight on Alaska Airlines. I also happen to have a companion fare from Alaska Airlines that I'd like to use (I'm booking three tickets). Is there any good way to combine both my Ultimate Rewards points and my companion fare?

My understanding is that one possibility is to book two of the tickets via the Ultimate Rewards portal, wait 24 hour (for the booking to go through) and then go to the Alaska Airlines website to cancel the reservation. At that point, I should ask Alaska Airlines to issue the cash value of the ticket as a credit to my wallet. Once the credit has posted, I can then rebook using the companion fare (and the wallet) to pay for my flight.

Is this possible?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by airflyer13
I have a bunch of Ultimate Rewards points that I would like to use to book a flight on Alaska Airlines. I also happen to have a companion fare from Alaska Airlines that I'd like to use (I'm booking three tickets). Is there any good way to combine both my Ultimate Rewards points and my companion fare?

My understanding is that one possibility is to book two of the tickets via the Ultimate Rewards portal, wait 24 hour (for the booking to go through) and then go to the Alaska Airlines website to cancel the reservation. At that point, I should ask Alaska Airlines to issue the cash value of the ticket as a credit to my wallet. Once the credit has posted, I can then rebook using the companion fare (and the wallet) to pay for my flight.

Is this possible?
Welcome to FT!!

1. No, you can't combine.

2. I've read on the AS forum that you can book tix thru UR portal and then later call AS and cancel (no fees if you're >60 days out or have status). The $$ goes into your wallet and then you can book what ever you want.

I'm going to move this to the AS forum as there is a thread there with current info.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Not positive, but pretty sure you lose the 20% off for booking through UR when you cancel. I have changed a lot of them, and BPG them, and I was dinged the 20%.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Not positive, but pretty sure you lose the 20% off for booking through UR when you cancel. I have changed a lot of them, and BPG them, and I was dinged the 20%.
That has not been my experience. Nothing gets communicated back to Chase regarding canceling and putting the credit in your wallet. YMMV.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, you should be able to do this. I booked a flight through UR, basically a dummy flight for 1 pax. While you may need to wait 24hrs, I did not. It showed up in my AS account within a few hours. After it was shown on my AS account I canceled the flight with AS and had them credit the $ amount to MY WALLET. I was credited the entire dollar amount of the dummy ticket. So as my example...

Cost of ticket - $264
Points redeemed - 17653 (1.5 pts on URSR)
AS credit to my wallet - $264
Purchased 2 new tickets on AS website with companion code offer for - $202 There is a price difference because as I said it was a dummy flight, not the same flight. But I was able to book 2 AS tickets that would have cost $348 for only 17653 UR pts and I still have $62 in my wallet which I plan to use for a purchased 1st class upgrade. Basically I saved 5600 UR pts and got $62.

Now the UR website still shows the trip as active, but I pretty sure that doesn't matter. AS is aware of the changes and thats what counts. I'll also say that I'm sure if this is popular, and people use this work around alot....I'm guessing it'll get shut down some how. Until then I fully plan to take advantage of it : - )
Terence.Hill likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Now the UR website still shows the trip as active, but I pretty sure that doesn't matter. AS is aware of the changes and thats what counts. I'll also say that I'm sure if this is popular, and people use this work around alot....I'm guessing it'll get shut down some how. Until then I fully plan to take advantage of it : - )
Why would this get shut down? The money is going to Alaska, just not for the particular flight originally intended. It's not like you can cash it out.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
IIRC when booking with some UR points, there was a place to put in a discount code. Can one use the companion code directly from their website? Didn't try, ended up redepositing the funds myself into mw.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Why would this get shut down? The money is going to Alaska, just not for the particular flight originally intended. It's not like you can cash it out.
True. I just feel it's almost too good to be true. Feels like a double dip sundae that I didn't fully pay for. AS is still getting the money for the ticket, UR is deducting pts equivalent to what they paid for the AS ticket and I'm still utilizing an offer code that is legitimate. So I suppose all is fair....
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beckoa
IIRC when booking with some UR points, there was a place to put in a discount code. Can one use the companion code directly from their website? Didn't try, ended up redepositing the funds myself into mw.
No. No place to enter codes. Just cash, UR or combo.

More data points can be found in this existing thread: Ticked booked on AS through Chase Ultimate Rewards Cancelled

Last edited by philemer; Jan 18, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:50 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I wrote a whole post about this on my blog. You just need to (1) make sure it's on Alaska so you can get a My Wallet credit; (2) wait 24 hours for the full refund option to expire after which you can choose to get a My Wallet credit instead; and (3) make sure you book a ticket at least 60 days in the future if you're not MVP Gold so that you don't have to pay a change fee.

You don't need to redeem UR points for the same flight you want to use the companion fare on. It can be any flight as long as it's operated by Alaska because as others have mentioned you're just trying to get Chase to give Alaska some money, and then you use Alaska's own change policies to get the credit to use for something else. And while you need to redeem UR points for a flight at least 60 days in the future, once you go to use the credit it can be for a flight that happens much sooner.

Example: If I want to use my companion fare on a ticket to Hawaii next week and I expect to pay $500 plus redeem my companion fare, then I need $500 in credits. So I can go find a $500 flight to Anchorage or whatever for three months from now, redeem UR points for that, and then wait 24 hours, cancel, and book my companion fare to Hawaii. If I don't have enough UR points for a $500 flight, I can still book a $100 flight to Portland and cancel that. But I'll only have $100 in credits now, so when I go to book my Hawaii flight I'll redeem $100 in credits and pay $400 in cash.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:56 pm

I booked a dummy Alaska Airlines flight and canceled after 24 hours but when I asked the rep to put the funds in my wallet after the transaction she said the funds went back to my original form of payment and I asked why she did not put the funds into my wallet and she said it did not give her that option. Did anyone ever experience this? Was I supposed to cancel the flight online and not call the representative?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by andrewx80
I booked a dummy Alaska Airlines flight and canceled after 24 hours but when I asked the rep to put the funds in my wallet after the transaction she said the funds went back to my original form of payment and I asked why she did not put the funds into my wallet and she said it did not give her that option. Did anyone ever experience this? Was I supposed to cancel the flight online and not call the representative?
If you purchased a non-refundable fare and waited longer than 24 hours after ticketing to cancel, it should not go back to original form of payment. Perhaps you cut it too close?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
When booked through Chase you have to wait about 36 hours to get the option to return to wallet. Any sooner than that and the option does not appear.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:29 pm

Thanks .. I still have time so I will try again.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
And, indeed, you can do the whole thing online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.