Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Decided to be my own datapoint. Even after calling and discussing with the rep, they are not able to do anything to the ticket. I even tried having her just cancel into my wallet. No-Go. She said it appears they are prohibited from making changes to the ticket even though its booked 100% on Alaska stock. Thanks Expedia for yet again being a pain in the ....
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Hmmm, I might have to make a change on a UR booked ticket soon. Does this mean the change has to be through Expedia and have them collect fees and/or new fare changes? Not ideal....
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
well, i just answered my last question. Bookings made through new UR travel portal can no longer be canceled via AS.com and have the value of the fare added to My Wallet.

that's a bummer, it was great while it lasted. Good thing I have no intention of canceling flight!
So even if you use the UR portal option to search for a refundable fare and book one, you'd still have to get your refund to UR and not to My Wallet?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
So even if you use the UR portal option to search for a refundable fare and book one, you'd still have to get your refund to UR and not to My Wallet?
sorry but i have never had any experience with refundable fares booked via UR.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Based off of my test run that appears to be the case now. Based off of the portal Expedia would issue it as a standard alaska cancelled ticket certificate. Whether they are referring to Alaska's 125$ cancellation fee or a seperate one on top of that I do not know. Definitely reduces the benefit of UR for me.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rune87
Based off of my test run that appears to be the case now. Based off of the portal Expedia would issue it as a standard alaska cancelled ticket certificate. Whether they are referring to Alaska's 125$ cancellation fee or a seperate one on top of that I do not know. Definitely reduces the benefit of UR for me.
The portal was never a great value anyway. You can do better than 1.5c for UR pts.

Do you do (or want to do) any international travel? I love Japan, so for for me, the sweet spot in their transfer partners is 110k pts -> VS miles, which can be redeemed for RT F on ANA. That has much more value (to me) than $1650, even if I do need to take the time searching for award availability.

Even UA miles are probably a better deal than 1.5c. Hyatt points definitely are. Maybe this is an opportunity to explore more uses for your points... you might find something more lucrative that fits your travel patterns
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The portal was never a great value anyway. You can do better than 1.5c for UR pts.
Considering that the tickets are revenue tickets that earn full EQM and RDM, I'd value them higher than 1.5c. In any case, I'm sure many people are like me where they're miles rich, cash poor, and have no plans on going to Japan anytime soon. What I miss is the free 60-day cancellation that allowed me to cancel a ticket and bank the value in my wallet so I could use it as payment on a companion ticket purchase, making the whole transaction free. As just a MVP, the loss of the 60-day cancellation killed the usefulness of this for me.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by czpdx
Considering that the tickets are revenue tickets that earn full EQM and RDM, I'd value them higher than 1.5c.
that makes them exactly 1.5c (the tickets you buy with cash earn full points too!)

In any case, I'm sure many people are like me where they're miles rich, cash poor, and have no plans on going to Japan anytime soon.
Sure, that example was something that's good value for me. I don't want to get too far off topic; there is plenty of discussion about how to get value from Chase pts in the UR forums.

I was just suggesting that if something that used to work doesn't work any more, you might want to use it as an opportunity to try to find even better value through transfer partners. You may end up saving even more money than you were before, without changing your travel patterns at all, which can only be a good thing.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
that makes them exactly 1.5c (the tickets you buy with cash earn full points too!)

Sure, that example was something that's good value for me. I don't want to get too far off topic; there is plenty of discussion about how to get value from Chase pts in the UR forums.

I was just suggesting that if something that used to work doesn't work any more, you might want to use it as an opportunity to try to find even better value through transfer partners. You may end up saving even more money than you were before, without changing your travel patterns at all, which can only be a good thing.
For me 1.5c was plenty fine of a redemption of UR. I like travel to Europe so other than VS transfer, the other airline partners were of minimal benefit to me. Chases's transfer rates aren't all that great. I'm a Hilton guy so the hotel transfer partners are useless as well. Being able to book random tickets...total worth it to me.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by rune87
For me 1.5c was plenty fine of a redemption of UR. I like travel to Europe so other than VS transfer, the other airline partners were of minimal benefit to me. Chases's transfer rates aren't all that great. I'm a Hilton guy so the hotel transfer partners are useless as well. Being able to book random tickets...total worth it to me.
Chase has never had any transfer bonus. so. I had tried to redeem the points at a higher valuation and i think i have failed so far. as a result i have around 400k chase points.. i consider myself both point rich (in a few M) and not cash poor either.\

eventually, i may have to settle it for 1.5c

it is nice in theory to transfer to VS and redeem ANA F for 110k. but it ignores the fact that 1) I need to position to ANA gateway, 2) I need to go to other part of Asia from Japan 3) very few date and very difficult for holiday maximization.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:18 pm

Just another data point. I called AS to explore changing a UR purchased ticket and they indicated its a special bulk fare they can't make changes to. For my purposes what will probably work easier is just doing a SDC through AS instead of re-engaging UR and Expedia.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Just another data point. I called AS to explore changing a UR purchased ticket and they indicated its a special bulk fare they can't make changes to. For my purposes what will probably work easier is just doing a SDC through AS instead of re-engaging UR and Expedia.
As I shared in another thread, the SDC did not work due to my desire to change the routing of the original ticket. If I had not changed routing, the SDC would work. So I chose to cancel the return portion of the Expedia ticket and purchase a new ticket home. Expedia cancelled it and placed the residual value on a ticket I can use within a year through Expedia. They will charge the AS change fee for that. At the time I made this flight I was MVP so $125 was quoted. But I will be Gold for 2019 so I am curious to see if that gets waived later.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:23 pm

As I shared in another thread, the SDC did not work due to my desire to change the routing of the original ticket. If I had not changed routing, the SDC would work. So I chose to cancel the return portion of the Expedia ticket and purchase a new ticket home. Expedia cancelled it and placed the residual value on a ticket I can use within a year through Expedia. They will charge the AS change fee for that. At the time I made this flight I was MVP so $125 was quoted. But I will be Gold for 2019 so I am curious to see if that gets waived later.
Yea..Expedia is keeping a tight hold on those UR tickets. When I SDC'd about 5 minutes later I got an email from Expedia indicating that Alaska had changed my itinerary. Short of a 100% confirmed, nothing will change flight, UR as useless to me now. Kinda sucks. At least Amex has a great combo now between the Plat/Gold card and I can earn points there just as fast.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:24 pm

Does the Expedia ticket show up in your Alaska account? Is it possible to use the value in combination with a new booking with a companion fare? I'm MVP Gold and just made an UR booking with the intention of cancelling to wallet funds so that I could book with a companion ticket for my wife. Darn Expedia - is this really dead? Let me know if there is anything I can try to help the FT Community.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nikespex
Does the Expedia ticket show up in your Alaska account? Is it possible to use the value in combination with a new booking with a companion fare? I'm MVP Gold and just made an UR booking with the intention of cancelling to wallet funds so that I could book with a companion ticket for my wife. Darn Expedia - is this really dead? Let me know if there is anything I can try to help the FT Community.
Dead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.