Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by the42ndstate
Call to CS confirmed 75K challenge does not include the 50K miles, GGUs or Lounge passes
My experience in past challenges has been that once I get the MVPG status 4 GGUs show up with a 2019 expiry, just like if I had qualified in 2018 for 2019 by flying 40k AS (or 50K AS+partner) miles. It will be interesting if AS has fixed this for MVPG/MVPG75K.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is disappointing. Although with the competition and program changes, I can see AS trying to hold on to whatever they can.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I just got a MVP renew 5k challenge. We're flying RT to ZLO plus a SEA one way. I just did the math. I will be 270 or so miles short. So I will be doing a SEA-PDX turnaround one Saturday in March. It would be cheaper to do SJC but more time consuming.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by the42ndstate
Call to CS confirmed 75K challenge does not include the 50K miles, GGUs or Lounge passes
Twitter responded to me in writing that 75K challenge does include both GGUs and 50K miles. Looks like one of the teams has incorrect info. I wish they would clarify officially as this distinction clearly changes the value proposition.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:48 am

Also received the 10K by mid April for MVPG for duration of 2018. I'm assuming no GGUs, and must meet min requirements for status beyond 2018.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
For my spouse, Twitter response was that because he was 2K away from MVP, he is not eligible for the 5K MVP challenge.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Baze
Edit, they just replied and said I was too far away (more than 7.5K) to be eligible. Seems strange based on some of the posts. But it is what it is.
That's laughable. I was over 40K away with AS+Partners and over 35K away with AS alone, and still received the challenge.

Originally Posted by bnj999
For my spouse, Twitter response was that because he was 2K away from MVP, he is not eligible for the 5K MVP challenge.
equally laughable, though perhaps a good sign that he may still be bumped up "gratis" to MVP. still, 2K is 10% of the 20K MVP goalpost, so maybe not.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
My situation was a bit different. at 12.31.17, was 11k shy of 75k (AS+Partners). On 1.3.18, flew an itinerary that earned me 17k (BA), which would have easily put me past 75k. But, apparently when you miss it by 3 days, they don't offer anything. No challenge for me.

Should I ask for consideration given the Jan 3 itinerary would have legitimately earned me 75k? Not sure what they would do since I'm MVPG and have enough flown/booked to at least earn MVP, and likely much more by YE.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
This is disappointing. Although with the competition and program changes, I can see AS trying to hold on to whatever they can.
How so? AS has made these retention offers for approximately forever. You used to be able to fly 8 segments on one of them and get MVPG... so something like SEA-BLI-PDX-SAN-SNA-SAN-PDX-BLI-SEA would get you MVPG...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
My situation was a bit different. at 12.31.17, was 11k shy of 75k (AS+Partners). On 1.3.18, flew an itinerary that earned me 17k (BA), which would have easily put me past 75k. But, apparently when you miss it by 3 days, they don't offer anything. No challenge for me.

Should I ask for consideration given the Jan 3 itinerary would have legitimately earned me 75k? Not sure what they would do since I'm MVPG and have enough flown/booked to at least earn MVP, and likely much more by YE.
You can ask for whatever you want, but be prepared to be told no.

Frankly, this whole thread is kind of silly (and yes, I started said silly thread so I can call it that) -- AS makes the rules, we just have to play by them, and they retain the power to bend them however and for whomever they want. We can all ask for private flights or guaranteed F upgrades on every segment, but they'll tell us no, until they don't for someone, and then once that gets leaked out everyone else will ask "why not me, I was so close to spending $xxxx or flying yyyy miles".

In my case I wasn't close and they offered it to me anyways. Others who, based on their reporting here, I think should have legitimately had it offered to got nothing. It's just this years' GGU + 10K RDM fiasco in a different outfit.

What I think we all want is uniformity. If you're within 5K of MVP, or 10K of MVPG, or 15K of 75K, you get a challenge offer by a certain date in January...guaranteed. If you are not, tough luck. And honestly, they should make you fly more in a challenge than you would have had to fly to get the status organically. 10K short of MVPG? Go fly 15K to show us you really want it.
pdxasflyer and mtnsider like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How so? AS has made these retention offers for approximately forever. You used to be able to fly 8 segments on one of them and get MVPG... so something like SEA-BLI-PDX-SAN-SNA-SAN-PDX-BLI-SEA would get you MVPG...
Those offers still rubbed me the wrong way.

AS giving away G75K status to challenges... it's in the same boat for me as status matching to G75K, which AS once upon a time didn't do...
pdxasflyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You can ask for whatever you want, but be prepared to be told no.

Frankly, this whole thread is kind of silly (and yes, I started said silly thread so I can call it that) -- AS makes the rules, we just have to play by them, and they retain the power to bend them however and for whomever they want. We can all ask for private flights or guaranteed F upgrades on every segment, but they'll tell us no, until they don't for someone, and then once that gets leaked out everyone else will ask "why not me, I was so close to spending $xxxx or flying yyyy miles".

In my case I wasn't close and they offered it to me anyways. Others who, based on their reporting here, I think should have legitimately had it offered to got nothing. It's just this years' GGU + 10K RDM fiasco in a different outfit.

What I think we all want is uniformity. If you're within 5K of MVP, or 10K of MVPG, or 15K of 75K, you get a challenge offer by a certain date in January...guaranteed. If you are not, tough luck. And honestly, they should make you fly more in a challenge than you would have had to fly to get the status organically. 10K short of MVPG? Go fly 15K to show us you really want it.
Agreed 100%. Uniformity, and consistency. Absent those and credibility is questionable. ​​​​​​​
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:03 pm

I also reached out on twitter regarding whether or not the GGU counted in the fast track. This would make it worth it for me. The CSR stated they would although it seemed like a generic response.

"Hello! I recently received an offer from Alaska Airlines called "It's not too late for MVP Gold status. Just follow these simple steps: Register with one click, fly 10,000 miles between January 18 and April 15, 2018, and enjoy your benefits for the rest of the year." I was wondering whether upon completion of flying the 10,000 miles, one would still get the gold guest upgrades associated with MVP Gold Status. This is not specified in the fine print. Thank you!"

"Hello. Yes you will get Gold Guest upgrade once your reach Gold status."
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
If you get 4 GGUs for completing the Gold challenge that is a good deal IMO.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer

How would an itinerary flown on Jan 3rd legitimately made you a 75K? If you had flown it in 2017 yes, I agree, but not flying it in 2018.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.