Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rune87
Could always fly to Boston for Dinner...
SFO - BOS seems like overkill for 225 miles...

Even SFO-LAX seems like overkill since the return flight is "wasted"
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
After adding up all my already-booked travel through mid-December, I'm at... 39,775 miles.
My wife is about the same from MVP requalification. We're already on M fares for instant upgrades & the CoS bonus. It just doesn't pencil out to MR for the remaining miles. She rarely flies apart from me so my status covers her for upgrades and 50% bonus on the miles before she qualifies next year would be 10K RDM. I can buy or fly those same miles for roughly the same as the cost of a MR for her, and they're more valuable in my account due to the new change policy.

If AS waives the miles at the end of the year or offers a status challenge (that fits with our existing plans), great. If not, great.

ETA: Because of the M CoS bonus we fly on, the actual RDM that she would miss as a non-elite would be about 8000 miles.

Last edited by rustykettel; Nov 1, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
SFO - BOS seems like overkill for 225 miles...

Even SFO-LAX seems like overkill since the return flight is "wasted"
How would it be wasted? You would be MVPG on the return and get 100% bonus RDM. That is over 5K RDM on the flight. That is enough for a hop flight SFO-SEA or any other city pair up to 700 miles for $6 in fees & taxes. Just a thought if you like lobster.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no way I'd spend 5k miles + taxes and fees on a $59 ticket.
eponymous_coward and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How would it be wasted? You would be MVPG on the return and get 100% bonus RDM. That is over 5K RDM on the flight. That is enough for a hop flight SFO-SEA or any other city pair up to 700 miles for $6 in fees & taxes. Just a thought if you like lobster.

James
Because you will never get those six hours of your life back? I've done some crazy MRs in the past, but the time I've spent at home with my loved one (who flies more than she needs to) is better than any flight.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:08 pm

There is no way I'd spend 5k miles + taxes and fees on a $59 ticket.
Fair enough on the SEA-SFO suggestion. Other routes offer better value, especially out of British Columbia. YLW-SEA last minute can be > $300 for a 212 mile 1hr flight on a Q400. I forget how ridiculously inexpensive air travel is in the US. Here $59 gets you a taxi to the airport.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough on the SEA-SFO suggestion. Other routes offer better value. Especially out of British Columbia. YLW-SEA last minute can be > $300 for a 212 mile 1hr flight on a Q400. I forget how ridiculously inexpensive air travel is in the US. Here $59 gets you a taxi to the airport.

James
Oh, I know. On my SFO-NYC trips, my total lyft fare is usually about 80% of the airfare. Of course I could take public transit... but I don't.

People here talk about the rising cost of airfare but I just don't see it.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
Because you will never get those six hours of your life back? I've done some crazy MRs in the past, but the time I've spent at home with my loved one (who flies more than she needs to) is better than any flight.
Absolutely, you do you! It is actually ~12 hours for the return. I enjoy spending time with my loved ones but I also enjoy taking time for myself to enjoy my hobbies too. Flying is one of them. For me, it isn't time wasted nor time I would want back.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Absolutely, you do you! It is actually ~12 hours for the return. I enjoy spending time with my loved ones but I also enjoy taking time for myself to enjoy my hobbies too. Flying is one of them. For me, it isn't time wasted nor time I would want back.

James
Ditto for me although I don't usually have to make the choice between time with my loved one and time on a mileage run because my loved joins me on virtually every mileage run I take....we consider it "date night" in the sky and it ensures that we BOTH earn elite status rather than just one of us.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Ditto for me although I don't usually have to make the choice between time with my loved one and time on a mileage run because my loved joins me on virtually every mileage run I take....we consider it "date night" in the sky and it ensures that we BOTH earn elite status rather than just one of us.
That is usually our case too but the mileage runs don't necessarily stop when status is achieved for me. lol. On my bucket list I would like to attempt at least one flight a day, everyday, to anywhere for an entire year. That would be a lot of "Flying for Fun."

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Fair enough on the SEA-SFO suggestion. Other routes offer better value, especially out of British Columbia. YLW-SEA last minute can be > $300 for a 212 mile 1hr flight on a Q400. I forget how ridiculously inexpensive air travel is in the US. Here $59 gets you a taxi to the airport.
Reminds me of 98 miles from YYJ. Even the taxi fare from town to YYJ

Oh, I know. On my SFO-NYC trips, my total lyft fare is usually about 80% of the airfare. Of course I could take public transit... but I don't.

People here talk about the rising cost of airfare but I just don't see it.
And I do unless I arrive around midnight. Then again Victoria transit is not the horrid experience I've had in many US cities Though SEA is actually more or less OK, or at least tolerable, especially now with light rail to the airport.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lunch in LA is in my future.
Looking at my flights the rest of the year I might be 1950 short of MVPG. It's possible I'll have a december trip to BOS, which would take care of it, otherwise I'm looking at spending a half day flying back and forth from LAX to SFO or LAS...

If only I could get four segments in a morning hopping BUR-ONT-LAX-LGB-BUR...
faithful likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.