Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
If you get 4 GGUs for completing the Gold challenge that is a good deal IMO.
depends how you value your time. as it stands i have a fairly hard time using GGU on the routes I want to use them on, and I'd have to MR 5000-6000 to get them even under the challenge in addition to my organically planned travel that could be directed toward AS. if something comes up where I need to fly transcon before mid-April, this offer will get me thinking about flying AS metal, but i'm not gonna spend 14 unnecessary hours flying an MR just to get them.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
Those offers still rubbed me the wrong way.
I suppose not everyone can be a "pure" 75K. I've done the challenges multiple times, since I end up somewhere between 20-45k flying as an AS elite, right in the places where they might offer challenges if I fall short. If that gets you all enraged that AS thinks my custom (and that of others) is potentially valuable enough to make status retention offers, I don't know what to do. It's a friggin' metal tube, where if we sit in it enough, we're all supposed to think that having a card with the name of a precious metal on it makes us "elite", or perhaps "pure" (and that's definitely part of the trick, to get people to put emotional value on things so that people make poor economic decisions). It's also their club, their rules.

I can tell you that AS's treatment over the years has earned them a good chunk of my cash over the years, and I could easily walk to WN or some combination of AS/WN/DL/whoever's cheapest on Kayak. I'm probably in at AS as long as a mile is a mile, but if they decide it's time for spend-based mileage earning and status, I'm out.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
depends how you value your time. as it stands i have a fairly hard time using GGU on the routes I want to use them on, and I'd have to MR 5000-6000 to get them even under the challenge in addition to my organically planned travel that could be directed toward AS. if something comes up where I need to fly transcon before mid-April, this offer will get me thinking about flying AS metal, but i'm not gonna spend 14 unnecessary hours flying an MR just to get them.
IME, the GGUs for getting Gold through a challenge will likely be long-dated for 2019. This may not change your desire to MR, but you will get nearly two years use out of them.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 22, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1K
after digging and doing some research, it appears my AS flights operated by AA do NOT count. i will need to do a quick MR to hit 10k.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
To follow up, I got 4 12/2019 expiry GGUs for my MVPG requalification. I would guess a 75K would also get GGUs, but no miles, if the past is prologue.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tombiro
Yeah, I never received one in the years I didn't hit 75K. Actually went from 75K to MVP after 2016 and didn't even receive anything about Gold.
I expect something similar. I status matched to 75K this year because I expected to be flying a lot of transcons in 2018. That didn't happen. One QF trip plus some short hops on AS will earn me MVP for next year. I was hoping for a soft landing to Gold but I see no reports of that happening. It looks like my best hope is a challenge for Gold and a few AS-compatible business trips.

If I redeem an award this year with 75K status but cancel it next year when I'm only MVP, will AS waive the fee?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
If I redeem an award this year with 75K status but cancel it next year when I'm only MVP, will AS waive the fee?
Most likely not. You get a disadvantage dropping to a lower status or no status at all just like you get an advantage when attaining status or a higher status.

Someone who booked an award now as a MVP would not have a fee waiver to allow free changes and cancellations. However. if s/he later attained MVPG+ before the award travel date they could change or cancel without a fee.

It is the Status you have at the time you want to change or cancel your award, or any reservation for that matter, that prevails, not the Status you had when the award/reservation was made.

James
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by nsx
No, but if you were in the reverse situation of booking as an MVP now and canceling as a 75K next year, you would get a fee waiver. You win some, you lose some.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As of now, I will not make MVP status for 2019 (I only started flying Alaska late this summer). I have a flight booked for January 4th, 2019 that if combined with my 2018 numbers, would bump me to MVP. I am assuming the answer is no but is there any chance they would "lump this in" and give me status for 2019, or am I out of luck?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I've had friends report success asking. I mean, nothing to lose asking!
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd book a hop somewhere on AS soon. 2 months left. Easy to hit MVP in a month
be_rettSEA, williwaw and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After adding up all my already-booked travel through mid-December, I'm at... 39,775 miles.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
After adding up all my already-booked travel through mid-December, I'm at... 39,775 miles.
LAX for Lunch Vegas for dinner? If you have the change fee waiver consider upfaring one of your flights to M class for the 25% EQM COS Bonus. A transcon will give you 600+

James
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
LAX for Lunch Vegas for dinner? If you have the change fee waiver consider upfaring one of your flights to M class for the 25% EQM COS Bonus. A transcon will give you 600+

James
I actually booked 3 flights today (still within 24hr). But they are all so cheap (R or T) that I suspect it's just easier to find an ultra cheap flight to LAX or something. I'll go get some KBBQ one weekend...

EDIT: Just did some quick matrix searches and all my booked fares (6 one-ways) are >$300 cheaper than the cheapest available M or P fare. So, yeah.. lunch in LA is in my future.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:59 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:13 am

I actually booked 3 flights today (still within 24hr). But they are all so cheap (R or T) that I suspect it's just easier to find an ultra cheap flight to LAX or something. I'll go get some KBBQ one weekend...

EDIT: Just did some quick matrix searches and all my booked fares (6 one-ways) are >$300 cheaper than the cheapest available M or P fare. So, yeah.. lunch in LA is in my future.
Are you going to squeeze in another 35K EQM AS Miles? Still 2 full months.....

James
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond

Could always fly to Boston for Dinner...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.