Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with Expired Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade with Expired Status

I couldn't find any DPs on this. I booked a few flights in 2017 when I had MVP Gold status on Alaska, and all these flights are still showing the "--- First Class waitlisted ---" note under flight summary.

My status expired on Jan 2nd. Does anyone know if the upgrade would still go through?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Waitlist priority usually carries over.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by CDKing
Waitlist priority usually carries over.
As long as you don't change the flights, the ticket isn't reissued, or you don't change the FF number, you will most likely keep the same status as you had when booked.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
They might have fixed this. I booked a flt for tomorrow when I was still 75K and had no flight changes/re-issues/etc. However, my name doesn't appear on the upgrade waitlist even after checking in.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Also there are recent reports of people’s status changing downward on their reservations after they failed to requalify even though the reservations were booked last year.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
You used to keep status as booked, but no longer...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
They might have fixed this. I booked a flt for tomorrow when I was still 75K and had no flight changes/re-issues/etc. However, my name doesn't appear on the upgrade waitlist even after checking in.
I'm less than 48 hours away from the flight and there is plenty of First Class space available, but I haven't been upgraded! So I guess it won't work.

But how do you check the "upgrade wait list"?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
You used to keep status as booked, but no longer...
Unless you purchased an instantly upgradeable fare while elite. One of my MVPG kids is now just MVP and those upgrades seem to hold. YMMV.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by bornbusy
I'm less than 48 hours away from the flight and there is plenty of First Class space available, but I haven't been upgraded! So I guess it won't work.

I believe you have to check in first before the waitlist becomes visible; at least that's been my experience on both the app and the desktop version.
bornbusy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

Waitlist on the app after checking in or the flight status page then upgrade waitlist tab on the computer.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I guess this answers my question. You won't get upgraded with an expired elite status. Even if it says "waitlisted".

I just checked the waitlist and my name isn't on there.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I guess this answers my question. You won't get upgraded with an expired elite status. Even if it says "waitlisted".

I just checked the waitlist and my name isn't on there.
Perhaps something has changed then?

Was never a published benefit- so unfortunate for those losing status, but benefits those who (re)qualified.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Perhaps something has changed then?

Was never a published benefit- so unfortunate for those losing status, but benefits those who (re)qualified.
Yeah, it was definitely nice while it lasted.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yeah, it was definitely nice while it lasted.
Much nicer back in the days, I remember when I dropped from 75K to MVPG, most of my flights for the year were already booked so they cleared at 7 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.