Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska loses me as elite

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ac, as
Alaska loses me as elite

I've been pretty loyal to AK for many yrs but since my company buys my tickets I'm normally stuck on Delta or American. That wasn't so bad when I could still earn AK miles but I find this will be virtually impossible this yr. I've given up my AK credit card. I have been on three first class trips this past quarter and I find that I have never been greeted or offered a drink until well after take-off. I actually kept track and it was 50 minutes before I was spoken to. Last weekend I flew home from BWI with minimal conversation or service. I just wonder if others have noticed a loss of interest from AK flight personnel? I realize I'm not the highest ranking elite but I do 17 r/t a yr which to me is a lot. When Delta would upgrade me I was very surprised at the drifference. I'm sorry to hear of disgruntled AK workers but I've experienced it greatly in the past few months.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS (note that “AK” is the abbreviation for the state) has seldom if ever offered FC pre-departure beverage service beyond a single bottle of water

there are many recent threads here on the AS board about the decline in inflight service, and many posts from disgruntled and disappointed AS elites about their perceived decline in overall corporate attitude toward elites
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jrl767
AS (note that “AK” is the abbreviation for the state) has seldom if ever offered FC pre-departure beverage service beyond a single bottle of water
They offered PDBs back when I first started flying them in 1991. They went away sometime around 2002 if I recall.

The FAs are really the only thing keeping me on Alaska and make me hesitate switching fully to AA. I've already begun giving WN more of me business this year.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
They offered PDBs back when I first started flying them in 1991. They went away sometime around 2002 if I recall.

The FAs are really the only thing keeping me on Alaska and make me hesitate switching fully to AA. I've already begun giving WN more of me business this year.
It must be the FAs (or the seat) that keeps you on AS because it certainly isn't the food....I can understand always turning down polenta or kale, but warm cookies?? Really?? Lol....
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
They offered PDBs back when I first started flying them in 1991. They went away sometime around 2002 if I recall..
Not wanting to drag this thread off-topic, but I flew AS in F pretty frequently in the 1997-2001 period. Not a single flight had a PDB apart from the AS branded water bottle. It hasn’t been part of the AS service culture for a long time...

Point being, the best part of flying AS to me was always the quality of customer service on the ground and in the air. That, Mileage Plan and the free upgrades to F, which used to be quite plentiful.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jan 15, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
I always chuckle when I see loyal and AK in the same post.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Been flying a lot on AS lately and I see the premium seats always full, while I get a seat in row 11 or 12 right behind premium with an empty middle seat sometimes, where I then decline the upgrade.

Plus a power outlet in every seat, free texting over wifi, and two rounds of drinks on longer flights. On par with DL, but a step up from United and AA.
SEA777GUY and bmvaughn like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by willyplur
I always chuckle when I see loyal and AK in the same post.
Hey, there are plenty of loyal AirAsia fliers...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Point being, the best part of flying AS to me was always the quality of customer service on the ground and in the air. That, Mileage Plan and the free upgrades to F, which used to be quite plentiful.
^ As a Gold 75K, I find the upgrades are still fairly plentiful. I'm unlikely to make 75K this year (Gold for life though...), so it'll be interesting to see just how much that drops off. Short of major negative changes to its Mileage Plan program, I can't imagine any reason why I'd abandon Alaska for another airline. This would hold true even if I weren't a Million Miler and didn't live in Alaska. I'm in it for the miles and no airline rewards me better.
PDXPremier, flyupfrnt, T2A and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
What a joke.... when I lost MVP this year only to get a challenge offer yesterday to fly 5,000 miles to regain it! But why? I got one upgrade all year...., cuz I was MVP if my FF# was on the record I never saw buyuup options at OLCI, and all E+ seats were always booked up so I never got those either.

I flew F class more often thru OLCI buy up offers without status than when I had it and seems easier to pay for E+ at booking without status. Oh and there is enough buy miles 40% promos that void butt in seat bonus miles with status.

What’s their value proposition for loyalty again?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by JHIN
What a joke.... when I lost MVP this year only to get a challenge offer yesterday to fly 5,000 miles to regain it! But why? I got one upgrade all year...., cuz I was MVP if my FF# was on the record I never saw buyuup options at OLCI, and all E+ seats were always booked up so I never got those either.

I flew F class more often thru OLCI buy up offers without status than when I had it and seems easier to pay for E+ at booking without status. Oh and there is enough buy miles 40% promos that void butt in seat bonus miles with status.
Unlike other airlines, AS offers OLCI buy up to F for elites too. However this shouldn't happen as the system shouldn't offer paid upgrades when there are elites on the waitlist. So one's status has zero bearing on OLCI offers.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As a Gold 75K, I find the upgrades are still fairly plentiful. I'm unlikely to make 75K this year (Gold for life though...), so it'll be interesting to see just how much that drops off.
I have to say, that as a run-of-the-mill Gold, I'm surprised at how often I get upgraded. Especially considering that my corporate travel department always goes for the lowest priced fare code. Last year it wasn't until June that I actually flew in the main cabin (disclaimer to that, my company travel policy buys me a F ticket if the flight is over 4 hours. So I've never had to try to get an upgrade on a long flight, which I'm sure are much harder to get if you're not 75K). I've also learned that some routes are much more likely for upgrades. For example, I almost always get upgraded between SFO and SEA, but I've never been upgraded between OAK and SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.