No waiver for travel to ZIH?

Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
No waiver for travel to ZIH?

In light of the recent US State Department personal travel ban announcement ("However, at least two Mexican resorts — Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and Acapulco — are in a do-not-travel state, Guerrero, and last year, the State Department extended a total ban on personal travel by U.S. government personnel there."-USA Today), I'm kinda surprised that AS hasn't issued a travel waiver for their LAX-ZIH flights.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jan 12, 2018 at 7:08 pm
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
A lot of these bans are politically motivated. Think about it for a minute. They're saying Ixtapa (Guerrero) is at the same level as Mogadishu (Somalia).

I was just in ZIH a month ago. U.S. ban to that area was in effect. It was perfectly fine, bustling with people, and the flights were reasonably full.

But if it concerns you, why not ask for a change fee waiver?
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
A lot of these bans are politically motivated. Think about it for a minute. They're saying Ixtapa (Guerrero) is at the same level as Mogadishu (Somalia).

I was just in ZIH a month ago. U.S. ban to that area was in effect. It was perfectly fine, bustling with people, and the flights were reasonably full.

But if it concerns you, why not ask for a change fee waiver?
I have no plans to go there...I was just curious....I went to Ixtapa years ago, but now I'm more of a PVR kinda guy
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
AS far as I can tell there are no AS travel waivers in effect for Mexico. I'm headed down in a few days and have had numerous friends and family "Have you heard?" ....Yeah, Nothing to see here, keep it moving! People are so quick to exhibit fear... IMHO
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
As far as I can tell, no airline has a waiver up, at least not DL, UA or AA
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I have no plans to go there...I was just curious....I went to Ixtapa years ago, but now I'm more of a PVR kinda guy
Jalisco is also listed and as you say PVR is fine, I too travel there a lot. Problem is Guadalajara is also in Jalisco, and it seems there are issues there so probably same thing with Ziwat being in Guerrero. Sad situation anyway you look at it.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Jalisco is also listed and as you say PVR is fine, I too travel there a lot. Problem is Guadalajara is also in Jalisco, and it seems there are issues there so probably same thing with Ziwat being in Guerrero. Sad situation anyway you look at it.
No, Jalisco has a lower level than Guerrero, and PVR and GDL are specifically excluded:

"There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for stays in the following tourist areas in Jalisco state: Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala, and Ajijic."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:33 pm

A few months ago I was in Cancun while a travel warning was in effect for that area. I was in the pool at the Westin chatting with an American who works at the US Embassy whose group is responsible for preparing the travel warnings. He said there is no safety issue with tourists in the resort areas - where there may be issues is if you are in an area you probably should not be in anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
MZT doesn’t have a waiver either, it’s in Sinaloa... meh.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
MZT doesnt have a waiver either, its in Sinaloa... meh.
MZT is not covered:

"Mazatlan: U.S. government travel is permitted only in Zona Dorada, the historic town center, and direct routes to and from these locations and the airport or the cruise ship terminal."
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by channa

Im not disagreeing that the tourist areas in these states are okay. But since its a categorical rating with only 4 categories, anything past a certain threshold ends up in the same category. So even Stalingrad (Volgograd) during WWII would still be put in the same category as all the other current do-not-travel locations.

Last edited by milypan; Jan 13, 2018 at 10:47 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

No wonder it was so easy for my husband and I to get MVP immediate upgrades for our flights to ZIH later this year.^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.