Wiki Posts
Search

739 without WiFi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
739 without WiFi?

Was on a 739 last week that had no WiFi/Beyond service. There was no WiFi access point and the FAs didn’t make their usual Beyond Entertainment announcement.

My seat-mate asked about it and the FA said something to the effect that it was the only airframe in the fleet without WiFi and they were waiting for the new satellite system.

Has anyone else heard about this? Or was the FA making stuff up as an excuse for the WiFi being broken?

I forgot to write down the tail number, but it was an N4##AS 739 ETOPS and was reconfigured with the new overhead bins and Premium Class.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a new delivery that wasn't installed on yet. You sure it wasn't an AK tail #?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
Was on a 739 last week that had no WiFi/Beyond service. There was no WiFi access point and the FAs didn’t make their usual Beyond Entertainment announcement.

My seat-mate asked about it and the FA said something to the effect that it was the only airframe in the fleet without WiFi and they were waiting for the new satellite system.

Has anyone else heard about this? Or was the FA making stuff up as an excuse for the WiFi being broken?

I forgot to write down the tail number, but it was an N4##AS 739 ETOPS and was reconfigured with the new overhead bins and Premium Class.
If you can tell us the flight number and date it's easy enough to determine which aircraft you were on.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a new delivery that wasn't installed on yet. You sure it wasn't an AK tail #?
80% sure, but now I’m starting to doubt myself.

Originally Posted by bbinchi
If you can tell us the flight number and date it's easy enough to determine which aircraft you were on.
4-Jan AS848

(I know it was a Hawaii flight so internet connection is down, but every Hawaii I’ve ever taken has at least had Beyond still)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I think we'll find this was a tech issue and not an aircraft without the systems. Both N283AK and N284AK had the systems installed before going into service
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I think we'll find this was a tech issue and not an aircraft without the systems. Both N283AK and N284AK had the systems installed before going into service
I figure this is likely what it was. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if the FA hadn't mentioned that it was the only such creature in the fleet.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sturges

80% sure, but now I’m starting to doubt myself.

4-Jan AS848

(I know it was a Hawaii flight so internet connection is down, but every Hawaii I’ve ever taken has at least had Beyond still)
According to Flightradar24 AS848/04JAN KOAPDX was operated by N442AS, a 737-990ER delivered to AS on 25 NOV 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.