739 without WiFi?

Old Jan 12, 18, 1:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Posts: 875
739 without WiFi?

Was on a 739 last week that had no WiFi/Beyond service. There was no WiFi access point and the FAs didnít make their usual Beyond Entertainment announcement.

My seat-mate asked about it and the FA said something to the effect that it was the only airframe in the fleet without WiFi and they were waiting for the new satellite system.

Has anyone else heard about this? Or was the FA making stuff up as an excuse for the WiFi being broken?

I forgot to write down the tail number, but it was an N4##AS 739 ETOPS and was reconfigured with the new overhead bins and Premium Class.
sturges is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:54 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,842
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a new delivery that wasn't installed on yet. You sure it wasn't an AK tail #?
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 2:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by sturges View Post
Was on a 739 last week that had no WiFi/Beyond service. There was no WiFi access point and the FAs didnít make their usual Beyond Entertainment announcement.

My seat-mate asked about it and the FA said something to the effect that it was the only airframe in the fleet without WiFi and they were waiting for the new satellite system.

Has anyone else heard about this? Or was the FA making stuff up as an excuse for the WiFi being broken?

I forgot to write down the tail number, but it was an N4##AS 739 ETOPS and was reconfigured with the new overhead bins and Premium Class.
If you can tell us the flight number and date it's easy enough to determine which aircraft you were on.
bbinchi is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:13 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a new delivery that wasn't installed on yet. You sure it wasn't an AK tail #?
80% sure, but now Iím starting to doubt myself.

Originally Posted by bbinchi View Post
If you can tell us the flight number and date it's easy enough to determine which aircraft you were on.
4-Jan AS848

(I know it was a Hawaii flight so internet connection is down, but every Hawaii Iíve ever taken has at least had Beyond still)
sturges is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Seattle, Wa
Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Posts: 2,372
I think we'll find this was a tech issue and not an aircraft without the systems. Both N283AK and N284AK had the systems installed before going into service
flyupfrnt is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:28 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt View Post
I think we'll find this was a tech issue and not an aircraft without the systems. Both N283AK and N284AK had the systems installed before going into service
I figure this is likely what it was. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if the FA hadn't mentioned that it was the only such creature in the fleet.
sturges is offline  
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by sturges View Post

80% sure, but now Iím starting to doubt myself.



4-Jan AS848

(I know it was a Hawaii flight so internet connection is down, but every Hawaii Iíve ever taken has at least had Beyond still)
According to Flightradar24 AS848/04JAN KOAPDX was operated by N442AS, a 737-990ER delivered to AS on 25 NOV 2013.
bbinchi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: