Wiki Posts
Search

Legacy VX Fans - Experiences on AS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by channa
Was there not enough demand or was pricing off? If anything, AS is adding more first class. They just have a different pricing and upgrade structure.
Alaska is basically asserting that there is more demand for coach that upgrades to a standard domestic F than a premium F product across the combined VX/AS network. I guess we will see. I know I got day of flight upgrades on short haul pretty easy.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
But...there are far fewer F seats in the old VX and they didn't upgrade anyone...ever. You know what first class seats are the best....the free ones!
I strongly disagree with that. You get what you pay for. Free upgrades to F are what has killed the domestic flying experience. There is no incentive to keep the quality high if it's not bringing in any revenue.

I would MUCH rather pay for a real F experience than get a free upgrade to a premium economy experience that has been mislabelled "first class". That's why I loved VX.
ptownca likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I strongly disagree with that. You get what you pay for. Free upgrades to F are what has killed the domestic flying experience. There is no incentive to keep the quality high if it's not bringing in any revenue.

I would MUCH rather pay for a real F experience than get a free upgrade to a premium economy experience that has been mislabelled "first class". That's why I loved VX.
And that may be your feeling and what works for you. However, the proof is that it doesn't work for most people, otherwise VX would never have sold themselves and all the majors would be installing VX style first. There is simply a limited market for an upscale domestic first product.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Feb 12, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This of course assumes that there are enough people to purchase F seats to make up for the lack of revenue from allowing those seats to be unfilled (and the revenue available from having more seats on the plane).

There are also more ways to bring in revenue into your F cabin than just filing an F fare. Delta's been doing stuff like that. Alaska has dabbled in it as well.

Southwest has MUCH better profitability than Virgin America had. They offer zero F seats. Their niche is the 400-1500 mile flight (1-3ish hours). A lot of Alaska's route portfolio falls into that market. A good chunk of VX's market's there too.

And yet, in an industry where EVERYONE loves to copy everyone if they think they can get a buck, nobody is out there configuring their entire shorthaul fleet with 55 inch pitch, 8 F cabins with plush recliners and abolishing the F upgrade. Alaska has complete access to VX's financials. If anyone knew the revenue potential of VX's F cabin as applied to the combined network, it was them. So either they're idiots (and just coincidentally ran a very consistently profitable airline while being idiots, while other airlines ran into bankruptcy ditches), or they looked at it and went "there's no there there, it's doesn't make sense for us to adopt their model".

In the end Alaska decided that the B6 Mint-induced premium pricing wars and subfleets weren't for them, so no transcon configured subfleet, it's all one standard F product. I guess we will find out if they're right on that.

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
And they may be your feeling and what works for you. However, the proof is that it doesn't work for most people, otherwise VX would never have sold themselves and all the majors would be installing VX style first. There is simply a limited market for an upscale domestic first product.
Case in point: B6 Mint is transcon or some utilization flights, not fleet-wide. There's going to be lots of all-Y (plus EML) flying for years to come.

Also, private jets compete at that end of things as well (and quite well I would guess).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And yet, in an industry where EVERYONE loves to copy everyone if they think they can get a buck, nobody is out there configuring their entire shorthaul fleet with 55 inch pitch, 8 F cabins with plush recliners and abolishing the F upgrade. Alaska has complete access to VX's financials. If anyone knew the revenue potential of VX's F cabin as applied to the combined network, it was them. So either they're idiots (and just coincidentally ran a very consistently profitable airline while being idiots, while other airlines ran into bankruptcy ditches), or they looked at it and went "there's no there there, it's doesn't make sense for us to adopt their model".
Well OF COURSE it's more profitable to cut costs (and quality) and charge the same price. This is not exactly breaking news. My point here is not that they don't make more money from this, it's that the product is not "first class" in any sense. Basically, we (the customers) are getting ripped off. At this point, they can just label ANYTHING "first class" and people think that they are getting a deal when they get "upgraded" to it.

When you say "it's more profitable", that's just another way of saying "they are keeping more of your money and spending less of it on the product"

The sad part is, there's not much that I can do about it. AS's F is about as good as United's, and still 100x better than AA. I've heard that Delta is upping its game a bit, but being based in the bay area, they are not a very useful airline to me. Since AS and UA offer the same (lack of) quality product, all I can really do is pick the cheapest one for any given trip.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well OF COURSE it's more profitable to cut costs (and quality) and charge the same price. This is not exactly breaking news. My point here is not that they don't make more money from this, it's that the product is not "first class" in any sense. Basically, we (the customers) are getting ripped off. At this point, they can just label ANYTHING "first class" and people think that they are getting a deal when they get "upgraded" to it.

When you say "it's more profitable", that's just another way of saying "they are keeping more of your money and spending less of it on the product.
More of YOUR money, maybe. I don’t have the money to indiscriminately pay for VX F, and wouldn’t anyway on short trips, so there’s no “we” here. I don’t really care if I am in an F cabin for a two hour flight most of the time. I very happily fly WN to LAS or ditch my F upgrade on AS for a better flight time and Y seat using SDC. So MY money isn’t being kept if AS doesn’t keep VX’s model. They never get it in the first place. My VX F experiences have been $50 upgrades or AS awards.

The problem is that as WN’s success demonstrates (as well as European “business class”), the market for other people who want to spend money like you do (luxurious F products on short flights) isn’t there. Not enough people want to spend money like you do (and those that do often fly private). Airlines would be perfectly happy to peel grapes and give a single F passenger a whole Airbus if it made money. The problem is it doesn’t.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:02 am
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not enough people want to spend money like you do (and those that do often fly private).
Do you really think that the people who are willing to spend $50 to upgrade to F (or maybe an extra $100 - $300 to buy F up-front) form the same market as those willing to spend something in the $10k to $20k range to take a private jet every time they fly? There are a couple of orders of magnitude of difference in there.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really think that the people who are willing to spend $50 to upgrade to F (or maybe an extra $100 - $300 to buy F up-front) form the same market as those willing to spend something in the $10k to $20k range to take a private jet every time they fly? There are a couple of orders of magnitude of difference in there.
OK, sure. Fine.

Let's go back to something you said: "There is no incentive to keep the quality high if it's not bringing in any revenue." Apparently Alaska executives agree with you. VX F/no upgrades/cash or sit in the back wasn't bringing in real revenue premiums compared to other models once they combined the airline and figured they'd be flying a single F cabin everywhere. They saw the numbers and said "nope, not worth the investment converting our fleet (which is considerably larger with MANY routes that NEVER touch SFO/LAX/NYC where actual large numbers of rich people who pay for a premium product live)".

There'd be a ton of empty F seats on SEA-places, PDX/SAN/SJC-places, collecting $0 (or maybe an occasional $50 upgrade on a coach fare). It's not like B6 is rolling out Mint on LGB-LAS, is it?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, sure. Fine.

Let's go back to something you said: "There is no incentive to keep the quality high if it's not bringing in any revenue." Apparently Alaska executives agree with you. VX F/no upgrades/cash or sit in the back wasn't bringing in real revenue premiums compared to other models once they combined the airline and figured they'd be flying a single F cabin everywhere. They saw the numbers and said "nope, not worth the investment converting our fleet (which is considerably larger with MANY routes that NEVER touch SFO/LAX/NYC where actual large numbers of rich people who pay for a premium product live)".

There'd be a ton of empty F seats on SEA-places, PDX/SAN/SJC-places, collecting $0 (or maybe an occasional $50 upgrade on a coach fare). It's not like B6 is rolling out Mint on LGB-LAS, is it?
I have no idea what the seat map would look like. I flew VX a lot and there was rarely an empty seat in F (and almost never more than 1). It's not like they were flying empty. F was almost always over half full when the upgrade window for gold opened, so they were selling a significant number of F fares (not all upgrades). I would often buy an F fare because the I didn't think that there'd be a seat available by the time the window opened (I was very conservative in this regard; I'm sure I could have saved a bit of money had I taken a few more risks, but I literally ended up on F every single time I flew) Then again, there were only 8 seats to fill on every flight. I flew mostly SFO-LAS, with occasional trips to/from LAX, OGG, ORD, PDX, SEA, and SJD. Maybe other routes were different.

There are plenty of people with money in a the cities that you are talking about; I'm sure that F would not be empty. Would it be as full as it was in/out of SFO? I'm not sure.

But, yes, again, obviously cutting the quality will lead to more profit for them. This doesn't surprise me. Just remember that this is a zero-sum game: more for them = less for you.
ptownca likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
My take having been Elevate Gold for 4 years and really enjoyed it is as follows:

Aside from AS not doing proper maintenance on VX F since the buyout, the real issue is the tone deafness of AS leadership. Nothing I have seen reported tells me they understand what made VX loyalist like me stick with VX.

In comparison, the newest AS 737's in coach have a miserable slim line seat, where even in Y, the VX seats were comfortable even on a transcon. After I did one SEA<>BOS trip in Y, my back said never again.

I'm lucky to have escaped SEA for many reasons, but now B6 is my go to and no complaints so far. Mint is awesome too.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IBut, yes, again, obviously cutting the quality will lead to more profit for them.
The logical corollary to your assertion is that VX was subsidizing your F seat by forgoing opportunities to maximize revenue and profit (which is implicit in "cutting quality = more profit"- "not cutting quality = less profit". Airlines are not charitable foundations meant to give us discounted white leather recliners at 35,000 feet.

Just remember that this is a zero-sum game: more for them = less for you.
Assuming that I don't just walk away if I don't like the bargain (which I am comfortable with- like I say, I fly WN with no problems, if the AS program got stupid I'd walk) or don't actually need to pay 3xY prices for a white recliner with 55" pitch for a one hour flight (which I don't).

I've been fine so far (though I'll fly DL and WN for an upcoming trip for reasons... always good to explore options).

Originally Posted by ptownca
In comparison, the newest AS 737's in coach have a miserable slim line seat, where even in Y, the VX seats were comfortable even on a transcon. After I did one SEA<>BOS trip in Y, my back said never again.
I don't have this experience, with MANY trips in AS Y, short, mid and transcon (something like 400k on AS flights when awards are lumped in with actually flying). The seats are fine for me. I haven't really noticed a difference on VX (though I haven't flown them transcon- I think connecting through SFO/LAX to go transcon in Y is stupid, just like connecting to go transcon in SEA for a VX flyer would be, and VX's network out of SEA just didn't work for me). YMMV.

Good that your choices are working out for you. I wouldn't have the money for Mint anyway.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 14, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
I'm sure it depends on the person, but I actually like the AS seat due it being a bit firmer.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:22 pm

Love this!

Originally Posted by dayone
The form factor of the traditional boarding pass was designed to match the now-almost extinct paper ticket, which was required for travel and collected at boarding.

I believe the size and shape of the paper ticket were intended so it would fit into a dress shirt pocket or an inside suit jacket pocket. In the days of red carbon tickets, the rookie mistake was pocketing a ticket without a ticket envelope. A red stain on a white shirt or suit lining was the tell.

Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:29 am

Having just done a transcon trip in both VX Y (A321) and Alaska Premium I’ll say the following:
  • On-screen ordering rocks. It really makes the Y experience feel like first class. If anything it makes main cabin more enjoyable than first class (where you’re still trying to flag an FA.)
  • VX Mood lighting is nicer than Alaska’s.
  • VX’s seats are among the most comfortable in Y by far (with JetBlue’s probably a close second.) The additional width is very noticeable, and even with only 32” of legroom it’s nice. And I’m saying this despite being in the -middle- seat on a 6 hour transcon. The padding and leather is higher quality. If Alaska refits these A321’s it’s going to be sad.
  • Alaska’s Y seats are painful to sit in over 2 hours.
  • VX’s seatback pockets are much more useful than Alaska’s, which are too small to fit a larger tablet.
  • Food and coffee is 2000000% better on Virgin than Alaska. Nothing was heated, but the quality was extremely good.
  • The premium snack box is a joke. The fruit/cheese plate is a screaming deal though.
  • Hazelnut Espresso Vodka is excellent.
  • VX customer service is a bit curt on the ground at JFK, though was friendly in-flight. I technically missed my flight due to the check-in kiosks melting down and waiting in line and the attitude was ‘sit and spin.’ They just don’t seem to know what to do with IRROPS it seems, whereas Alaska seems almost delighted to help.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I had to fly Alaska again for work and the service was really poor compared to VX. The food and drink choices were limited and the customer service staff was not nearly as friendly as VX. The service from OGG to SEA was non existent on a red eye and then from SEA to LAX. I will really miss VX and their comfortable seats and great staff. Alaska did not even offer a premium economy section. I will avoid the new Alaska out of SEA, SFO, and LAX and use Delta or United instead. I never though UA would be a choice again, but they are nicer than the AK product. Hopefully AK will improve by more training for its staff, better food, premium economy, and improved F class seats with footrests and better IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.