Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Changing return flight on a companion ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

we are traveling next month with a companion certificate ticket. Booked as RT SEA-BOS. We have decided we would like to visit Friends in New York as well, so would like to amend the return flight to return from JFK or EWR, on a different date.

I am aware this will require 2x the change fee, but can I make the change online? Or do I have to call?

Also, since the new fare for the return flight I am looking at is $129 pp, could I just forget changing the original flight, skip the return portion, and book JFK -SEA as a new booking? It would cost $8 more than paying the two change fees, but would certainly be easier.

thanks for your help.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Online should let you make the change and quote it. But your fallback is only $8 more, just do that if you have any trouble. Not worth sweating it or even calling in to save $4/pp.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I’ve been able to make changes online with a companion ticket. You can start the process to see what the cost will be and compare it to buying new tickets. If you go with new tickets, I believe you’ll need to cancel your original one.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Akck
If you go with new tickets, I believe you’ll need to cancel your original one.
As it sounds like the OP wants to fly SEA-BOS and no-show BOS-SEA, that is no problem. also, canceling the ticket will forfeit the companion code, but making changes to the ticket will preserve it.

I would try to change it online and see what it quotes. The issue is that SEA-BOS may be more expensive than the original booking cost and this will make using the companion code potentially more expensive than just booking JFK-SEA as a standalone ticket since I think the whole RT may reprice at current rates (not sure on AS rules on this).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
SEA-BOS should not refare if the flights are not changing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.