AS Reward Issues on AA

Old Jan 10, 18, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
Question AS Reward Issues on AA

I was attempting to book an economy AS reward flight home with AA for EZE -DFW- YYC at the end of November 2018 prior to the increase of mileage needed for AA that was to take effect Jan 1/18. Over the New Years wknd the flights I wanted were showing available but for over a week I continually ran into a booking error stating they were 'unable to confirm space on partner'. I was also calling a couple times a day and the agents (very apologetic and kind) were aware of the situtation but also unable to confirm booking even when they called AA. Then suddenly last week when attempting to book again all the EZE-DFW-YYC routing was gone. Attempted different destination and also just the EZE-DFW flight but nothing. However, i was able to confirm a combined AA & AS HORRIBLE day of EZE-JFK-SFO-SEA-YYC but for now at least I know I can get home in 26H..ugh!. I was wanting to route through DFW so I started to research any to and from DFW flights and found there is MINIMAL and i mean minimal AA flights flights offered in or out of DFW...not even anything to IAH. So at this point I am hoping that space will eventually open up as I am well in advance of my travel dates. Oh and another thing to put salt in the wounds, space for my preferred route is showing up on BA with Avios.
My question is, do you think this has to do with the AS and Virgin merger and once they are fully integrated in April that Virgin will be taking over some of AA routing or perhaps AA is still working on loading their inventory based on their new agreement??? But on a good note for AS, I had also ended up reaching out on twitter a couple times while trying to book and they did eventually credit me the difference of the increased mileage I had used after Jan 1/18 to secure seats.
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
People complain about lack of AA saver award inventory all the time, especially for long-haul flights. BA routinely shows phantom inventory on AA. I don't think your observation has anything to do with AS/VX and the single operating certificate for April. Now, if you check aa.com and see saver inventory that AS doesn't, that's on AS.
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Might be something going on due to AA married segment implementation

This is based on one route, so pinch of salt and all that. For NYC-LPB and returns on AA metal, AA shows saver Y on several dates in Oct and Nov, but AS doesn't show any of those seats. Not phantom seats, since I can get to the final booking page at the AA site. Interestingly, the extremely few saver J seats on the route do show up on AS online search.

Since other routes domestic and international do show AA Y availability through AS search, I think this may be related to AA's recently implemented married segment award availability, where searching AAA-CCC on the AA website shows availability for a AAA-BBB-CCC routing, but searching BBB-CCC does not show availability. The NYC-LPB route on AA metal has a NYC-MIA-LPB routing, and searching at AA for MIA-LPB for those Oct and Nov dates shows no saver Y availability. However, MIA-LPB does show those very few saver J dates as available, as does the AS search.

So, if this theory is correct, AS will only have access to AA availability where each individual segment shows available at the AA site, not the somewhat expanded AA availability for those connecting married segments.
Old Jan 11, 18, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jigri2003 View Post
This is based on one route, so pinch of salt and all that. For NYC-LPB and returns on AA metal, AA shows saver Y on several dates in Oct and Nov, but AS doesn't show any of those seats. Not phantom seats, since I can get to the final booking page at the AA site. Interestingly, the extremely few saver J seats on the route do show up on AS online search.

Since other routes domestic and international do show AA Y availability through AS search, I think this may be related to AA's recently implemented married segment award availability, where searching AAA-CCC on the AA website shows availability for a AAA-BBB-CCC routing, but searching BBB-CCC does not show availability. The NYC-LPB route on AA metal has a NYC-MIA-LPB routing, and searching at AA for MIA-LPB for those Oct and Nov dates shows no saver Y availability. However, MIA-LPB does show those very few saver J dates as available, as does the AS search.

So, if this theory is correct, AS will only have access to AA availability where each individual segment shows available at the AA site, not the somewhat expanded AA availability for those connecting married segments.
Interesting theory. The two AA award tickets I was recently able to book were both U class (25k domestic first).

I was never able to get saver Y to work....

Wonder if they haven't yet implemented the new married segment logic for first/business class?

Old Jan 13, 18, 12:27 am

Programs: alaska
AA awards are gutted. best of luck now. everything just changed
Old Jan 13, 18, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by GuzziQuota View Post
AA awards are gutted. best of luck now. everything just changed
Have you found the same availability issues using the AA website? AA awards on certain routes, particularly weekend routes to the east coast, have always been difficult for me. I'd be curious if the AA website is showing different availability than the Alaska website before making a statement that "awards are gutted". You might be seeing the exact same availability AA flyers are seeing themselves.
Old Jan 13, 18, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Have you found the same availability issues using the AA website? AA awards on certain routes, particularly weekend routes to the east coast, have always been difficult for me. I'd be curious if the AA website is showing different availability than the Alaska website before making a statement that "awards are gutted". You might be seeing the exact same availability AA flyers are seeing themselves.
Hi Tom, Im not a AA member so what they show to their members doesnt apply to me. What I do know is there has been a severe drop off in the past week or two in seats to AK members. Caribbean is gone even from Miami for AK members. Europe is bad too.
Old Jan 13, 18, 9:05 am

with Virgin members now coming over, it will get worse.
Old Jan 13, 18, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by GuzziQuota View Post
Hi Tom, Im not a AA member so what they show to their members doesnt apply to me. What I do know is there has been a severe drop off in the past week or two in seats to AK members. Caribbean is gone even from Miami for AK members. Europe is bad too.
Maybe you are looking too far in advance:

Search this Thread