Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
I flew paid PDX-ORD RT in F in the last 5 days. Flight Attendants on both segments were terrific, and on the flight home, was terrific +. 41" pitch was super. The baggage delivery was super efficient. The food and digiplayer were meh, actually the food from ORD-PDX was horrible...some kind of beef on rice... but it did the trick. I am sticking w/Alaska on any routes where I can fly them non-stop---and relative to the options, their FC fares are reasonable.
I'd take that over shroom filled ravioli!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd take that over shroom filled ravioli!
are you sure???
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
are you sure???
He is only complaining because they never serve oyster dishes
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Bonvoy Platinum, National Executive Elite, HI Goid
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by osubeavers01

I think the Alaska model is highly appealing to business travelers such as myself. I fly transcons 1-2x/month plus many shorter flights (last year, had already requalified for Gold75 by summer). At my company, we're not allowed to purchase first class travel. Most of my flights aren't booked until the week before, or often only days before my travel, so I would guess the last min pricing of my coach fares is not that different from first class pricing ($$$). I choose Alaska for most of my business travel due to the generous upgrade policies and most of my personal travel with them due to the lack of change fees for gold75. I would guess there are a number of frequent travelers who fit into the same category as me and I don't think this is an unreasonable segment for Alaska to target
+1 for me. I am the same type of business traveler. Most of my travel is business related with a company that will not pay for first on domestic travel. Is Alaska's First product better or even on par with their competition? Nope.... But I will take F upgrades on Alaska any day over coach on other airlines. So it looks like I am one of the few hoping to keep the AS F product that way it is as long as the upgrades keep coming. I regularly purchase expensive last minute tickets, so I assume AS targeting me is paying off for them.
ctporter likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The transcon product isn't astounding, but other than premium transcon routes, the "new" AS seats (especially what they're going to install) will be better than any other non-premium-transcon domestic aircraft out there, save the remnants of the VX fleet. I just spent 6+ hours enjoying the infinite luxury of an AA (2 cabin) A321 up front on a MIA/SFO segment. Other than the nice IFE screen (of which they're apparently ripping out), the AS cabin is more comfortable.

Let's be realistic here. The vast majority of us, when in a premium cabin, are not on one of the fancyplane routes (of which AS will not be competitive, comfort-wise). However, the vast majority of routes do not offer such a seat ... or better wine selection ... or better food selection.

I believe I've only sat in the older F seats, so I can't make that comparison personally. I've flown AA F mid-to-transcon this year, and the seats have been comparable but the food on AA was dramatically better than AS.

Of course, the drink selection and FA's are significantly better on AS. The bloody mary mix AS uses is divine, while the stuff they use on AA should be considered a crime.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
I've flown AA F mid-to-transcon this year, and the seats have been comparable but the food on AA was dramatically better than AS. Of course, the drink selection and FA's are significantly better on AS. The bloody mary mix AS uses is divine, while the stuff they use on AA should be considered a crime.
You win some, you lose some...

It's really a shame that Alaska's First Class food is so... whatever. To some extent flyers have themselves to blame for this as in most industry surveys about what matters most when choosing an airline, inflight food consistently ranks amongst the lowest of priorities. Seating comfort, on time performance, upgrades, timely baggage delivery, priority boarding all rank far ahead of meals.

Even back in the days when the airlines rolled out the trolleys and carved Chateaubriand seatside, there were still plenty of complaints about the meal service. It's a no win situation. Most all airlines go through the motions and talk up their inflight service with flowery prose but at the end of the flight, nobody's gonna stop flying Alaska because they don't like polenta or they didn't get a large enough portion of cod.

More and more - especially on non-transcon luncheon and dinner flights, I've taken to visiting Waji's in Seattle or any Asian type place like Panda Express to eat later during the flight. Those black bowls that Waji's uses will keep food pretty warm up to an hour and a half after purchasing it.
91foxbody likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Even back in the days when the airlines rolled out the trolleys and carved Chateaubriand seatside, there were still plenty of complaints about the meal service. It's a no win situation.
Absolutely. It was a lot easier to carve Chateaubriand when the government set your prices so everyone got a healthy profit margin, and the competition was all service because nobody could set lower or higher prices. It wasn't so easy to fly planes, though (I could count my plane flights on my hand before I turned 30, because my family didn't have lots of money for plane tickets growing up, and I mostly didn't either as a young adult).

But airplane meals were still the butt of jokes then. Imagine, blast chilling in bulk and reheating food in airplane ovens doesn't yield Michelin stars all the time.

]More and more - especially on non-transcon luncheon and dinner flights, I've taken to visiting Waji's in Seattle or any Asian type place like Panda Express to eat later during the flight. Those black bowls that Waji's uses will keep food pretty warm up to an hour and a half after purchasing it.
I'm partial to Beecher's or the modest Alaska cheese and fruit tray myself if I need food on the plane. Hits the spot. But the food available in airports for purchase these days is better than I recall in the past. Sometimes a bit pricey but I've had decent steak sandwiches and chop salad in LAS at their steakhouse in T3, or had a good bite at Vino Volo in SEA/IAD/SFO if I have time to kill before flying (I've even baked in time occasionally for the meal). No airplane oven reheating required, either.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Even back in the days when the airlines rolled out the trolleys and carved Chateaubriand seatside
OMG, this! I remember discovering the first class mileage upgrade when I was in school in the 80's. F on UA's "Ocean to Ocean" service on the DC-10. That was the best domestic airplane meal ever.

Back to the topic at hand, I will purchase a $50 upgrade to F on AS , when available. While F is not luxurious like in the olden days, it is still much better than Y.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Flew PDX to LAX on Monday on Delta because the next AS flight was 4 hours later and like a slap in the face to AS they had 4 different snacks to choose from in economy including the Biscoff and a bag of almonds. Attendant said we could have all 4 if we wanted them. My colleague had a good suggestion: rather than 75K on AS, shoot for gold on both Delta and AS. Thinking about that.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No airplane oven reheating required, either.
Reminds me of the time a FA offered to re-heat my fried saimin on a redeye Took them up on it, but only got it a bit warmer
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Flew PDX to LAX on Monday on Delta because the next AS flight was 4 hours later and like a slap in the face to AS they had 4 different snacks to choose from in economy including the Biscoff and a bag of almonds. Attendant said we could have all 4 if we wanted them.
FWIW, I have been on this same route twice in the past few months in F on the 6:30pm flight and two passes of the snack basket was the only thing offered both times. I've done the same route in F on AS and it has always featured something more substantial, such as a chicken salad. So while DL seems to be nicer in the back, AS wins up front.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
FWIW, I have been on this same route twice in the past few months in F on the 6:30pm flight and two passes of the snack basket was the only thing offered both times. I've done the same route in F on AS and it has always featured something more substantial, such as a chicken salad. So while DL seems to be nicer in the back, AS wins up front.
On the other hand, DL publishes and almost always sticks to their F meal mileage cutoffs and options. AS, especially mid-con and trans-con, is quite inconsistent IME.

From DL.com (PDX-LAX is 834 miles):
SHORT FLIGHTS

Find savory and healthy snacks on flights under 900 miles. Enjoy a complimentary alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage and a variety of snacks to choose from.

MEDIUM FLIGHTS

On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between.

LONGER FLIGHTS

For flights over 1,500 miles, you’ll find a fresh, full meal service — featuring a variety of healthy and local options as part of your meal. You’ll have several meal selections to choose from.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
But airplane meals were still the butt of jokes then. Imagine, blast chilling in bulk and reheating food in airplane ovens doesn't yield Michelin stars all the time.

I'm partial to Beecher's or the modest Alaska cheese and fruit tray myself if I need food on the plane. Hits the spot. But the food available in airports for purchase these days is better than I recall in the past. Sometimes a bit pricey but I've had decent steak sandwiches and chop salad in LAS at their steakhouse in T3, or had a good bite at Vino Volo in SEA/IAD/SFO if I have time to kill before flying (I've even baked in time occasionally for the meal). No airplane oven reheating required, either.
Many airports have upgraded their food in the terminals, and when time permits I take advantage of that. Of course, when your 90 minute connection becomes 35, you are stuck with the four pieces of lettuce and two bites of chicken that they call a snack these days.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG
That's the key point. Today, you can get a meal in most major airports that's going to be at least pretty good. Competing with that on shorter flights just doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. It's those long flights that I scrutinize the catering, because I'll be hungry at some point.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
No airplane oven reheating required, either.
You haven't lived until you've made a quesadilla on an airplane coffee maker (don't overfill it because maintenance hates scraping burnt cheese off the hot plate...or so I'm told).

Originally Posted by makfan
Many airports have upgraded their food in the terminals, and when time permits I take advantage of that. Of course, when your 90 minute connection becomes 35, you are stuck with the four pieces of lettuce and two bites of chicken that they call a snack these days.
Thankfully most airports I find myself in over and over have really, really upgraded their food options. Seattle is finally getting better and more options, though I think Waji's has really gone downhill recently. I used to schedule extra time when I'd connect in Atlanta to hit my favorite airport restaurant: Ecco.

I'm perfectly happy with an orange tea or water and some biscoff on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.