Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jinglish
I've been an MVP for just over two years now, and AS has treated me very well, especially reservation agents--I've even gotten a couple of unexpected upgrades after calling in to fix itineraries with schedule changes. So far I've only flown three trips with DL, and other than one less-than-great interaction with a PDX check-in agent (which happened to be my first-ever interaction with a DL employee), the service I've received has been perfectly fine but not exceptional. I brought up operational issues because AS has had the best mainline on-time performance for several years running (although having an SFO hub is definitely going to tank that stat), while DL does the best of the big three but occasionally has meltdowns because something's wrong at ATL and the rest of their network is tied in so strongly with that airport.
​​​​​
I have had two Alaska gate agents do things for me that I thought were impossible. The first was when I overslept and the rebooking meant a new connection and later arrival to the final destination. My new first QX segment arrived at SEA a little early and my original connection had not departed, so I booked it to the gate. The door was closed but the agent said she had not quite closed the flight, so she put me on.

The next miracle incident, I bought a last minute ticket at YVR inside the US area going YVR-SEA (overnight)-SFO. AA canceled my YVR-LAX flight (final SFO) after I had cleared customs, and had nothing available until the next day. I really hated the idea of a 6 am departure. We again arrived into SEA a bit early so I hurried to the N terminal. The last SFO and OAK flights of the night were at adjacent gates (did I say this was a miracle?). Both were already into economy class boarding. The SFO had a long waiting list and was not going to happen, but the OAK agent rebooked me and I avoided a hotel expense and a lost morning. How many airlines would change your flight date and destination airport with a smile on their face while doing it?

These kinds of things are why I have stuck it out at AS. Yes, I have had some bad mechanical delays and a few times I've had employees who made no effort. But I have more stores like the above.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by tphuang

Notice how this 4% RASM drop has happened before 3) and 4) have really even taken place. Those are expected next year. 4) will probably have the largest impact, but I think 3) will hurt more than people think. The rest of them are also expected to be bigger problems next year. DL is only gaining strength in Seattle. UA is steadily adding capacity at SFO and those new VX routes out of SFO are not profitable at all. Mint is going to hit AS core trancon markets of BOS/JFK-SEA after already putting pressure on EWR/BOS-SAN. Long term, I don't see AS sticking around on BOS-SAN and JFK-LAS.
After an 8+hour BOS-(SLC fuel)-SFO trip in VX, I can see why Mint would kill. I was in F, and very thankful that I wasn't in Y, but still...that was a long domestic flight. I was in the seat for well over 9 hours with deicing and whatnot.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Want to make a difference?

If you support AS and really care, I suggest you voice your opinion to someone who actually cares. Take the time to write directly to Brad Tilden.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Talking

Originally Posted by tphuang
They fly to LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX/LAS out of JFK. Other than PDX, the other ones are all premium market now. And I don't know you can say they don't want to make a play, when they are charging more than premium options?

BOS-SEA will be a very interesting market this year. AS is pricing its traditional F product 50% higher than mint and 60 to 70% higher than Delta F. I don't know how many seats it's selling at the price level that the public see, but we will find out at some point. Premium transcon fares have fallen a lot across the board.
After one SEA-BOS round trip, for that long a flight, the new slim line Recaros are awful. I told myself: "Enough is enough." Earlier last year, I burned a few miles, flew to SFO, burned a free Hyatt night I had, stayed in SFO and flew SFO-BOS on Mint. It was a relevation. I found my new favorite airline, having been a die hard VX fan while in SFO. Even better, it cost a few hundred less than a direct SEA-BOS discounted F fare.

I'm now in BOS and Mosaic. I could not be happier.

Last edited by ptownca; Jan 18, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
After one SEA-BOS round trip, for that long a flight, the new slim line Recaros are awful. I told myself: "Enough is enough." Earlier last year, I burned a few miles, flew to SFO, burned a free Hyatt night I had, stayed in SFO and flew SFO-BOS on Mint. It was a relevation. I found my new favorite airline, having been a die hard VX fan while in SFO. Even better, it cost a few hundred less than a direct SEA-BOS discounted F fare.

I'm now in BOS and Mosaic. I could not be happier.
Right, with my SFO --> JFK routes, Mint is unbeatable with fares as low as $598! Single seat and a pleasure to fly. Best in class value, and nothing else is even remotely competitive. Sure, AA transcon F is better, but it'll never be anywhere near B6's pricing.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:04 pm

Oh yeah, I can't wait for Mint on SEA->JFK routes. I have literally no idea how the hell Alaska prices their first class, but I assume absolutely nobody ever pays for it. But even at MVP Gold instant-upgrade pricing, I'd still pay the extra $150 for a true flat bed and Mint's way more consistent service. Hell, if I'm gonna burn 25k Alaska Miles on a transcon premium cabin, I'll take AA (which is a close second to Mint.)

Taking redeyes on Alaska is frustrating enough in F... -maybe- you'll get a blanket, -maybe- you'll get ear plugs. Hell, on Mint they even give you a bagel round and cold pressed juice when you land (-and- you get a full meal if you so choose during the flight which is significantly more substantial than Alaska's 'snack')
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by makfan
I have had two Alaska gate agents do things for me that I thought were impossible. The first was when I overslept and the rebooking meant a new connection and later arrival to the final destination. My new first QX segment arrived at SEA a little early and my original connection had not departed, so I booked it to the gate. The door was closed but the agent said she had not quite closed the flight, so she put me on.

The next miracle incident, I bought a last minute ticket at YVR inside the US area going YVR-SEA (overnight)-SFO. AA canceled my YVR-LAX flight (final SFO) after I had cleared customs, and had nothing available until the next day. I really hated the idea of a 6 am departure. We again arrived into SEA a bit early so I hurried to the N terminal. The last SFO and OAK flights of the night were at adjacent gates (did I say this was a miracle?). Both were already into economy class boarding. The SFO had a long waiting list and was not going to happen, but the OAK agent rebooked me and I avoided a hotel expense and a lost morning. How many airlines would change your flight date and destination airport with a smile on their face while doing it?

These kinds of things are why I have stuck it out at AS. Yes, I have had some bad mechanical delays and a few times I've had employees who made no effort. But I have more stores like the above.
You are, however, an Alaska MVP Gold status member. I doubt they would do the things that happened to you to some random no status customer.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've flown AS paid F on transcons. People do it. Mint beats the hell out of that though!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
If you support AS and really care, I suggest you voice your opinion to someone who actually cares. Take the time to write directly to Brad Tilden.
I've tried sending email and via the feedback page to AS and so far haven't ever received a response. That said their "Contact Us" web page only lists an email address for the Board Room so they clearly don't place any emphasis on providing service via e-mail. It was something I had become used to using for non time critical items with VX.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bkojote
Oh yeah, I can't wait for Mint on SEA->JFK routes. I have literally no idea how the hell Alaska prices their first class, but I assume absolutely nobody ever pays for it.
How? I bet if I reviewed filed fares, they would generally match the competition. It isn't quite as transparent on AS, because there may be several P fare bases on a route, while other airlines might have D, Z, I (etc.) and they'd all book in P for the various equivalents on AS.
The competition also has the "luxury" (or misfortune as the case may be, on certain flights) of large premium F cabins. AA is half the transcon plane. DL is up to J40 or thereabouts on some equipment (my next trip, on a 764). B6 is J16. AS is F16/12/8. So even if they sell a couple of seats in the lowest bucket, that disappears quickly, whereas on DL, they may sell 10 of those 40 at the lowest fare.

Case in point - June SFO/JFK trip. I'm outbound on DL for under $600, and returning on AS (VX metal) for under $700 - everyone else was near $1000 or more for the afternoon/evening of my return. AS didn't come close on my outbound.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bkojote
Oh yeah, I can't wait for Mint on SEA->JFK routes. I have literally no idea how the hell Alaska prices their first class, but I assume absolutely nobody ever pays for it.
I’ve flown a lot of transcons as a Gold. Not much U space at booking time, and there have been a lot of times I’m 10 down on a 30 person upgrade list.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 pm

To have a shot at an upgrade on a transcon, you have be 75K. You might get lucky as a Gold.

It is the nature of the beast now.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Orwaid
To have a shot at an upgrade on a transcon, you have be 75K. You might get lucky as a Gold.

Not necessarily. Obviously chances drop greatly if you're on a 738 these days, but my results as an MVP--traveling for leisure instead of business, which is probably important--haven't been awful. I haven't managed to get upgraded on PDX-BOS without the help of a gifted GGU, but I've wound up in F flying once each DCA-PDX, DTW-SEA, and SEA-BNA over the last couple of years.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Originally Posted by jinglish
Not necessarily. Obviously chances drop greatly if you're on a 738 these days, but my results as an MVP--traveling for leisure instead of business, which is probably important--haven't been awful. I haven't managed to get upgraded on PDX-BOS without the help of a gifted GGU, but I've wound up in F flying once each DCA-PDX, DTW-SEA, and SEA-BNA over the last couple of years.
Transcons weren’t all that easy before there were 75Ks. AS has been flying to EWR for well over a decade. It’s never been a slam dunk upgrade in the time I have flown it.

Sure, I’ve gotten the occasional upgrade as a Gold (last time it was SEA-IAD), but it’s simply untrue to assert as OP does that nobody buys AS F.

Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold

I did a mileage run SEA-BOS-SEA (AS12/AS15) on 13JAN and the trips were flown with a '738' instead of the usual '739.' At 72 hours before departure of each segment there were four F seats showing available on AS's website and the fare was $1,069.

On the outbound I was 7th of 20-something on the upgrade waitlist and I don't know if anyone received an upgrade to F as I hadn't tracked the seats close-in. I did, however, get upgraded on the return and the email was sent 9h 11m before departure. I was very surprised given that I'm "only" MVPG and I had booked an R class fare. I know of two others who were upgraded on the BOS-SEA leg. Doesn't seem that AS had much luck selling seats at $1,069 a pop.

And while the F service and catering were good, and I was comfortable enough on the flight, I can't imagine paying $1,000 or more for that experience.

Last edited by bbinchi; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.