Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tusphotog
The BR management at Angle Lake had to personally call several hundred people in San Francisco to apologize about the AA lounge.
And the non Bay Area residents who merely fly through SFO and now have no lounge access are chopped liver?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
And the non Bay Area residents who merely fly through SFO and now have no lounge access are chopped liver?
I would personally take the SFO T2 restaurants/shops over most domestic lounge experiences at this point (save for the free-ness of select lounge beverages).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tphuang
They could've saved some of that $30 million and not moved to the bargain basement T7 at JFK which seemed to have driven away quite a few ff already
AA controls T8 (where AS's flights were). AA wasn't about to host AS flying SFO/LAX-JFK for obvious "duh, we're not going to help a competitor flying a directly competitive route" reasons. Same deal with DL. Same deal with B6. If there wasn't room to expand at T4 where VX was... you tell me, where was AS going to go, especially if BA was going to let them share T7 and do some refurbishments, and AS could get their own lounge space out of the deal (which apparently is going to be April)? JFK isn't like SEA where AS can throw their weight around as a primary tenant and get a lot done for them because they're 50% of the airport. Yeah, sure, ideally T7 would have been refurbished already, and free ice cream and ponies could be given to all the VX veterans too. The real world sometimes doesn't work out ideally.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 11, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Is JFK T7 worse than what AS has in BOS? I did a mileage run last month to BOS and the gates AS has there are simply awful.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Is JFK T7 worse than what AS has in BOS? I did a mileage run last month to BOS and the gates AS has there are simply awful.
God Boston is Horrible. That set of 3 gates needs to die already. I HATE that terminal section.
brizone likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Based off descriptions of BOS, no. T7 has construction and limited vendors, but it at least *has options*.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Based off descriptions of BOS, no. T7 has construction and limited vendors, but it at least *has options*.
As well as a commitment from BA to improve it, plus lounge space in April.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Delete

Last edited by Tankerman; Jan 11, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Eh, I'm wondering how much of the paint-trading between AA and AS is because they're competitors...and how much is actually the result of the agreement to acquire VX. I know that the AS/DL breakup was coming on its own, but AS/AA seems to have been more-or-less forced onto them as a condition of the merger.

That said, I've got to wonder just how AS is going to do on those direct-competition TCONs (see my earlier comments). I suspect there's enough business for them to take a slice, but aside from that? No clue, seeing as they have no non-AA feeder business on the East Coast as far as I can tell.

Edit: I suspect that if the AS/AA situation wasn't being pushed from above and was a result of tension between the two, AA would've ripped up almost all of the codeshares. IIRC quite a few remain intact.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AA controls T8 (where AS's flights were). AA wasn't about to host AS flying SFO/LAX-JFK for obvious "duh, we're not going to help a competitor flying a directly competitive route" reasons. Same deal with DL. Same deal with B6. If there wasn't room to expand at T4 where VX was... you tell me, where was AS going to go, especially if BA was going to let them share T7 and do some refurbishments, and AS could get their own lounge space out of the deal (which apparently is going to be April)? JFK isn't like SEA where AS can throw their weight around as a primary tenant and get a lot done for them because they're 50% of the airport. Yeah, sure, ideally T7 would have been refurbished already, and free ice cream and ponies could be given to all the VX veterans too. The real world sometimes doesn't work out ideally.
except many of the complaints that we've heard here seems to be just terrible execution of move to T7. We really don't know what options they had, but my guess is T1 is certainly available. They might not have had the space to build their own lounge, but do they really think having their own lounge is going to allow them to price at the same level as flat-bed competition? If they are actually going for the non-premium crowd to fill up F, they need to price accordingly (think sub $500) . There simply is no need to build their own lounge for that.

I'm looking at some prices in may, they are around $600 for SEA, $700 for LAS and in many cases $900 to well over $1000 for SFO/LAX. These are not good prices for what they are offering.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
worse than SEA or LAX?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was chatting recently with a fellow who expressed disgust at the AS gates @ PHL, which sounded similar to BOS.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tphuang
except many of the complaints that we've heard here seems to be just terrible execution of move to T7. We really don't know what options they had, but my guess is T1 is certainly available.
Airline terminal moves aren't often "well, you can do this whenever you'd like", especially if you're not a primary tenant. Even when you are, you could still end up with a crummy terminal while things are fixed up for you (see: DL at LAX in T2/T3).

Fun Fact: LAX T3 (which is a crap terminal) was VX's old terminal (and before that, AS's). I've been there while the bathrooms have had problems with sewage backups. It's STILL not refurbished, years after VX moved there (except for some stuff VX was willing to pay for after they moved there). But AS is apparently the WORST AIRLINE EVER since they moved to T7 before BA's refurbs are done.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 12, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This race to the bottom has been going on for a few year IMHO, and is why i stopped flying AS much at all. Sad to see.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Airline terminal moves aren't often "well, you can do this whenever you'd like", especially if you're not a primary tenant. Even when you are, you could still end up with a crummy terminal while things are fixed up for you (see: DL at LAX in T2/T3).

Fun Fact: LAX T3 (which is a crap terminal) was VX's old terminal (and before that, AS's). I've been there while the bathrooms have had problems with sewage backups. It's STILL not refurbished, years after VX moved there (except for some stuff VX was willing to pay for after they moved there). But AS is apparently the WORST AIRLINE EVER since they moved to T7 before BA's refurbs are done.
Guess we are going to disagreed here. AS Management (in this internal memo) is pitching building lounge in JFK as their great effort in improving their product, but that doesn't benefit y passengers or change the fact the product in the air is not competitive. And they are not lowering pricing to reflect the lack of competitiveness in their product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.