Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Speculation: 73G reconfiguration thread

Are the 73Gs up next?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Are the 73Gs up next?
Last time they mentioned this, AS had no plans to reconfigure the 73G's in the fleet. I fly some in state in Alaska with fairly short flights, ANC-FAI, ANC-JNU, etc. so this may not be needed. More pitch and at seat power would be a nice addition to these birds.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Last time they mentioned this, AS had no plans to reconfigure the 73G's in the fleet. I fly some in state in Alaska with fairly short flights, ANC-FAI, ANC-JNU, etc. so this may not be needed. More pitch and at seat power would be a nice addition to these birds.
Agree. While there are only 11 in the fleet and they mostly fly short flights, they also occasionally fly some longer flights like sea-msp/oma/dfw or even sea-chs. Would be nice to upgrade to have in seat power at least. I can understand not adding premium class and increasing F pitch since they would have to remove a row of seats in order to do so.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There's been discussion of AS reconfiguring the 73G's, but AFAIK the AAG has not reached a decision [aside from configuring some as cargo]
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i'd like to see them reconfigured to the desert, but that might be a few years away.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
They really need the update if they are going to keep them in the fleet. Kind of hard to advertise a product and amenities then offer none of it for the flight. On top of that the few I have flown in were down right grimy inside.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i'd like to see them reconfigured to the desert, but that might be a few years away.
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
They really need the update if they are going to keep them in the fleet. Kind of hard to advertise a product and amenities then offer none of it for the flight. On top of that the few I have flown in were down right grimy inside.
At this point they are some of the oldest in the AS fleet. My guess is that AS had/has plans to take them out and did not feel the payback for the update would be pay off before they are gone.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Economics as a small subfleet may kill them before service life limits. Delivered in 1999-2003, they probably have 7-10 years left if AAG wanted full asset life.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

If they're going to be around another 5-10 years, reconfiguring is somewhere between no brainer and necessity. The interiors are old and need to be replaced sooner than later. Might as well make them consistent with the rest of the fleet.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If they're going to be around another 5-10 years, reconfiguring is somewhere between no brainer and necessity. The interiors are old and need to be replaced sooner than later. Might as well make them consistent with the rest of the fleet.
I think AS was planning on returning these to the leasor, but has kept them as they have been expanding routes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I think AS was planning on returning these to the leasor, but has kept them as they have been expanding routes.
There are a lot of dots to connect and frequencies to increase. I would be surprised if they dumped these perfectly functional modern planes anytime soon. They can't be that expensive to keep flying.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It's been said that they will be getting Premium Economy, can't find the original source now. Putzy thinks it'll start happening in September, in another thread. Thanks as always to the useful info Putzy provides!

Originally Posted by Putzy
I believe the 700's will be getting interior upgrades starting in 09-2018.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jan 5, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Agree. While there are only 11 in the fleet and they mostly fly short flights, they also occasionally fly some longer flights like sea-msp/oma/dfw or even sea-chs. Would be nice to upgrade to have in seat power at least. I can understand not adding premium class and increasing F pitch since they would have to remove a row of seats in order to do so.
They also show up somewhat frequently on SEA/PDX-ANC, presumably to rotate through for the intra-AK routes; the bulk of intra-Alaska has gone to the 73G.

I wound up on one KTN-SEA last week; only a 90 minute flight but I definitely missed the row 1 legroom and in-seat power. Amazingly, though, I survived!

Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
N627AS, N626AS and N625AS were all converted to cargo. Have seen no public plans to convert the others.
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...-700-freighter

Those three are in addition to N709AS, the last 734 in the fleet (specifically a 737-490(SF)) which is still operating (though has cancelled 8 flights over the past 2 days).

Alaska's fleet page is drastically outdated... (https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/fleet)

I'd be happy if they just repainted N607AS
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I would be surprised if they dumped these perfectly functional modern planes anytime soon. They can't be that expensive to keep flying.
Especially in light of the fact that they're going to keep the three -700Fs for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.