Wiki Posts
Search

EQM purchase question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
EQM purchase question

I had some travel interruptions this year and ended up having to purchase 4000 EQM to make status. I haven't received bonus miles or GGU. Do you not get those if you buy EQM? I am surprised if that is the case because the EQM wasn't exactly cheap.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
I had some travel interruptions this year and ended up having to purchase 4000 EQM to make status. I haven't received bonus miles or GGU. Do you not get those if you buy EQM? I am surprised if that is the case because the EQM wasn't exactly cheap.
I was not aware you could buy EQM miles? Does the system still show your elite status?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I was not aware you could buy EQM miles? Does the system still show your elite status?
I assume the OP is talking about the status buyback offer that AS makes at the end of the year. This year's email is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082722-post19.html
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I assume the OP is talking about the status buyback offer that AS makes at the end of the year. This year's email is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082722-post19.html
Exactly. First time I have received the offer but I am usually 75K in early November. This year was strange. And yes, my account is showing 75K but no bonus miles or GGU.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Exactly. First time I have received the offer but I am usually 75K in early November. This year was strange. And yes, my account is showing 75K but no bonus miles or GGU.
If buying up, I'm not certain the bonus miles would apply.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
If buying up, I'm not certain the bonus miles would apply.
I finally got a chance to go back and review the offer. It does say no 50K but not until the very last line if the fine print:

Disclaimers
*Only Mileage Plan members who receive this offer directly from Alaska Airlines via email are qualified to participate. Qualified members can purchase miles that count toward elite status qualification between November 20, 2017 and December 28, 2017. This is an exclusive, non-transferable, one-time offer for the intended recipient only and may not be forwarded.
Purchased Elite-Qualifying Miles (EQMs) will count toward a Member's Year-To-Date EQM balance. If the Member purchases enough to cross the EQM requirements to achieve MVP®, MVP® Gold, or MVP® Gold 75K that status will be granted. EQMs will be awarded upon completion of the transaction, and new elite status will be reflected within 10 business days. New elite status gained from the purchase of EQMs will be valid through the 2018 calendar year. EQMs and resulting status will be awarded to the recipient of the EQM purchase only. EQM purchases are not refundable. EQMs are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Members buying elite qualifying miles to achieve MVP Gold 75K status are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K.

Bad on me for not reading all the way down. No mention of GGU offer but I guess those are tied together. While it is my bad, it is a pretty chintzy policy and an offer I would not take again. I could certainly MR to get the same amount cheaper as I paid $585 for 4K EQM. Since that revenue had negligible operating cost for them this seems like a real cheap out. I guess more evidence of a cheapening product. I have been slower to see if vs. some of the others here but I guess it is real. I have made sure to praise AS where I disagree but this one gets a big boo from a loyal 75K.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Especially since you may have ultimately been included in the Promo to regain status that they released a few weeks back. This would've required that you fly 20k by April & that would've cost more than $500. Lesson learned perhaps
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
As you read, the Bonus miles don't apply, but I think its worth calling in about the GGU.

I finally got a chance to go back and review the offer. It does say no 50K but not until the very last line if the fine print:

Disclaimers
*Only Mileage Plan members who receive this offer directly from Alaska Airlines via email are qualified to participate. Qualified members can purchase miles that count toward elite status qualification between November 20, 2017 and December 28, 2017. This is an exclusive, non-transferable, one-time offer for the intended recipient only and may not be forwarded.
Purchased Elite-Qualifying Miles (EQMs) will count toward a Member's Year-To-Date EQM balance. If the Member purchases enough to cross the EQM requirements to achieve MVP®, MVP® Gold, or MVP® Gold 75K that status will be granted. EQMs will be awarded upon completion of the transaction, and new elite status will be reflected within 10 business days. New elite status gained from the purchase of EQMs will be valid through the 2018 calendar year. EQMs and resulting status will be awarded to the recipient of the EQM purchase only. EQM purchases are not refundable. EQMs are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Members buying elite qualifying miles to achieve MVP Gold 75K status are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus miles awarded to those who earn MVP Gold 75K.

Bad on me for not reading all the way down. No mention of GGU offer but I guess those are tied together. While it is my bad, it is a pretty chintzy policy and an offer I would not take again. I could certainly MR to get the same amount cheaper as I paid $585 for 4K EQM. Since that revenue had negligible operating cost for them this seems like a real cheap out. I guess more evidence of a cheapening product. I have been slower to see if vs. some of the others here but I guess it is real. I have made sure to praise AS where I disagree but this one gets a big boo from a loyal 75K.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Especially since you may have ultimately been included in the Promo to regain status that they released a few weeks back. This would've required that you fly 20k by April & that would've cost more than $500. Lesson learned perhaps
Yes, and as the vagaries of my business travel have it, I will be 20K by Feb 5th if I calculate correctly. Last year was a bit of an anomaly for me, would have been nice to get a pass given I am not a bottom bucket seat purchaser by any means. I did put it to customer service by email but haven't heard back yet.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
As you read, the Bonus miles don't apply, but I think its worth calling in about the GGU.
I am asking customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.