Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Assuming the flight leaves from T2 at SFO, wouldn’t OP have access to the AC on the basis of an incoming flight in Oneworld J? I understand OP’s onward flight is not operated by Oneworld, and I am not 100% sure OP has access. But I think it might be worth a try. (If OP were trying to gain access via status, then onward flight definitely has to be on Oneworld.)

If access is denied, T2 itself is not a bad place to spend some time.
Sure, it’s always worth a try. But OneWorld’s lounge access policy is

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
OP isn’t connecting between OneWorld operated flights. Another possibility is paying $59 pp to access the AC. It doesn’t allow complimentary access to Alaska Lounge members but I’m not sure that extends to paying guests.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Sure, it’s always worth a try. But OneWorld’s lounge access policy is

OP isn’t connecting between OneWorld operated flights. Another possibility is paying $59 pp to access the AC. It doesn’t allow complimentary access to Alaska Lounge members but I’m not sure that extends to paying guests.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Assuming the flight leaves from T2 at SFO, wouldn’t OP have access to the AC on the basis of an incoming flight in Oneworld J? I understand OP’s onward flight is not operated by Oneworld, and I am not 100% sure OP has access. But I think it might be worth a try. (If OP were trying to gain access via status, then onward flight definitely has to be on Oneworld.)

If access is denied, T2 itself is not a bad place to spend some time.

As @rustykettle explained from the OW rules, you will most likely not be given access, my friend has had similar issues when flying into LAX on AA/CX and flying back to SEA on AS, they will not give you access. But again always worth a try, worst case they say no and you are right back where you started.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by safari ari
As @rustykettle explained from the OW rules, you will most likely not be given access, my friend has had similar issues when flying into LAX on AA/CX and flying back to SEA on AS, they will not give you access. But again always worth a try, worst case they say no and you are right back where you started.
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure and can't recall a specific experience in this circumstance. I think both of you are probably right, but my reading of the OW lounge policy is that it's actually ambiguous with respect to arriving on an international OW marketed and operated flight in J/F and connecting to non-Oneworld (unlike the part of the policy for status-based access, which very clearly states "when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline"). Clearly, OP is not "connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights," but OP is "fly[ing] First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline" (under the header, and first bullet point). Additionally, the bullet point about connections focuses on the international longhaul being in J/F as determinative of access, which is clearly met in this case. Finally, AA definitely allows access on arrival when arriving on JFK-LAX/SFO in J/F, regardless of whether you are connecting onwards or your final destination is JFK/LAX/SFO (although that may be a special case and not applicable to other OW, or even AA, international flights—even though AA's own policy, unhelpfully, lumps JFK-LAX/SFO with "Qualifying international flights" under the larger heading "Qualifying First and Business class").

All of this to say: I think the rule is actually not clear, but I agree that probably the more reasonable (or common) interpretation is that the onward connection needs to be OW marketed and operated, even if arriving in longhaul J/F on a Oneworld marketed and operated flight.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Absolutely!

I have fondness for the D lounge, but really the one that’s closest to your gates is probably best, unless you have time to kill & like to lounge hop. There’s not much difference in the food or drink between the two as far as I can tell. Same with N lounge.
If you have time I think the C lounge has the nicest atmosphere, but it is furthest away (unless you're flying from there).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
This will probably sound obvious but I'd choose any F seat first, then row 6 or 7 (row 6 has more legroom but row 7 has movable armrests, which I appreciate on an aisle seat as it provides a bit more space. After that, I'd choose the second exit row because it can recline and has good legroom.
Understood on the obvious I did the same. I opted for second exit row over premium on my most recent flight w/o F upgrade. I'll have to try row 6 or 7 for a comparison. The real obvious answer might just be fewer red eyes.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance that CX will let you into their lounge (since you are arriving in CX J and have a connection with a partner?)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:47 pm

Hi! Couldn’t find this particular route so maybe it’s impossible - but is there a way to use AS miles from Seattle to Europe via Tokyo stopover? Or to get to europe, do I need to fly eastward? For example, JAL to Tokyo, then jal to Europe. Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Winterfell86
Hi! Couldn’t find this particular route so maybe it’s impossible - but is there a way to use AS miles from Seattle to Europe via Tokyo stopover? Or to get to europe, do I need to fly eastward? For example, JAL to Tokyo, then jal to Europe. Thank you!
Sort of. Not on JL alone & not as a single award, because Alaska doesn't publish an award chart for Japan(Asia)-Europe for that airline.

You can do US-TYO(stopover)-HKG on JL // HKG-Europe on CX (or three awards with the TYO-HKG segment on CX). Or US-TYO JL // TYO-HEL(-Europe) on AY.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Any chance that CX will let you into their lounge (since you are arriving in CX J and have a connection with a partner?)
My understanding is that the CX lounge is airside in the international terminal. Since my outgoing flight is domestic, I don't think I would be able to access it. If I can't use the AA lounge, the alternatives seem to be PP lounges in terminal 3. Is there an airside connection between terminals 2 & 3? If not, can you access T3 airside with a T2 boarding pass?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
My understanding is that the CX lounge is airside in the international terminal. Since my outgoing flight is domestic, I don't think I would be able to access it. If I can't use the AA lounge, the alternatives seem to be PP lounges in terminal 3. Is there an airside connection between terminals 2 & 3? If not, can you access T3 airside with a T2 boarding pass?
You can access any terminal with a same-day boarding pass.

Whether CX lets you into the lounge is another question entirely. It's not an "arrivals lounge" but you are connecting and flew CX J to get there. I have no idea (1) what their policy is, and (2) whether they make exceptions to their policies.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:28 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked before, and the answer I'm sure is in here somewhere but I haven't seen it...
Can I make a reward booking on a partner airline and then call in to have the connecting Alaska flight added to the booking?
(reason: I see that it's a valid routing/ticket but not offered on the day I'm looking at, because I'm looking at the edge of availability)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by sinecure
I'm sure this question has been asked before, and the answer I'm sure is in here somewhere but I haven't seen it...
Can I make a reward booking on a partner airline and then call in to have the connecting Alaska flight added to the booking?
(reason: I see that it's a valid routing/ticket but not offered on the day I'm looking at, because I'm looking at the edge of availability)
Yes, you can. You will have to pay the change fee unless you're gold/75k or within 24h window.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
T2 is only connected airside to T1 and only the upper half of gates. T3-T2 is a little over a minute walk from exit to TSA line, but the biggest factor is how busy TSA is in each terminal to warrant if clearing twice is worth it. There can be times were pre-check is up there in the 10-20 minute range.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:27 am

Companion Fare - Stopover & Multi Segments

Hi. Could I use my Companion Fare for the following:

YYJ-SFO (Stop over 3 nights) - PSP
and with the return leg PSP-YYJ?

Thanks in advance & a very Happy New Year everyone.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAXII
Hi. Could I use my Companion Fare for the following:

YYJ-SFO (Stop over 3 nights) - PSP
and with the return leg PSP-YYJ?

Thanks in advance & a very Happy New Year everyone.
Yes, that is a valid use of a companion certificate.

James
MAXII likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.