Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Those emails that say "make the most of your trip"-how does Alaska's IT decide when to send them out? Because I just got one for my flight 3 months from now.
I don't get many of that one - it's either new (my only one is for a trip I just booked for MLK weekend) or only for more than ~1 month out and I usually book less than 3 weeks out (less than a week for work). I get a lot of "your trip to X won't plan itself" when I check fares, and "ready for your trip on Month, day?" a few days out.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah, it's all over B and C. I was kind of surprised.

I got upgraded to F and grabbed 1D so if it's close I can be off that plane as soon as the doors open. I feel pretty confident of making it.
We landed 20 or so min early. I even had time to walk to the wrong end of the concourse looking for Capers, find a map, turn around, go all the way to the other end, get a free meat lover's omelette to go, and make it to the gate before my group was boarding.

That was a pretty good omelette. And at $14 I only used half my credit. These restaurants are a great addition to Priority Pass...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

I intentionally purchased a first class upgrade with the companion even though there was no availability and hoping two might come available. I have checked daily and called periodically and have not had any luck. Any other steps I should take other then waiting?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rzamora
I intentionally purchased a first class upgrade with the companion even though there was no availability and hoping two might come available. I have checked daily and called periodically and have not had any luck. Any other steps I should take other then waiting?
Set up an alert for U fare class on ExpertFlyer or equivalent, if you have a membership (not sure which tier allows automated fare searches).

If not, no need to call to check, just monitor for U space (white F in solid blue box) by doing a dummy booking on the website. Just make sure to set it for 2 people when searching.

ETA: Mobile FlyerTalk doesn’t show the user box, do you have elite status, are using two GGUs, or miles to upgrade?

The reason I ask is it’s possible for a general member to set the search box for First Class upgrade and purchase tickets, because all that really does is allow you to purchase the minimum fare level required for that upgrade type. There are additional requirements (such as elite status or an upgrade instrument, and U space) to actually use.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 15, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
We landed 20 or so min early. I even had time to walk to the wrong end of the concourse looking for Capers, find a map, turn around, go all the way to the other end, get a free meat lover's omelette to go, and make it to the gate before my group was boarding.

That was a pretty good omelette. And at $14 I only used half my credit. These restaurants are a great addition to Priority Pass...
I'll take it over a lounge. My last trip @ BOS I went through security twice. Once the United side, had a burger and bloody Mary at Stephanie's and then again for my flight. AS side has a restaurant outside security but its only accessible in the afternoon.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I don't get many of that one - it's either new (my only one is for a trip I just booked for MLK weekend) or only for more than ~1 month out and I usually book less than 3 weeks out (less than a week for work). I get a lot of "your trip to X won't plan itself" when I check fares, and "ready for your trip on Month, day?" a few days out.
Ok, it is just me. I just got 2 check-in emails. 1 one hour after the other.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Juneau now has a TSA Precheck lane

On my prior flights out of Juneau, we went through Precheck Light, shoes on but liquids/electronics removed from carryons. My last flight had full Precheck. I talked to the person at the start of the lane and he said it started in November, with a few test runs over the summer. He also said the Precheck lane would be open only during peak times. It was nice not having to remove items from our carryons.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am currently 75K but have flown almost exclusively on mileage tickets this year, so I am not going to requalify. I have two questions:
  1. Does AS do a soft landing to MVPG?
  2. Will award Tickets issued in 2018 from a 75K account carry the status into 2019 or will AS hit me with change fees for travel in 2019?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Do international trips on AA, credited to AS, generate the 100% MVPG bonus? The MP website is a bit confusing on this: notes that "elite-qualifying partners" provide the elite bonus miles, but also says that effective 1Jan18, AS elites do not receive benefits when flying AA. Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Do international trips on AA, credited to AS, generate the 100% MVPG bonus? The MP website is a bit confusing on this: notes that "elite-qualifying partners" provide the elite bonus miles, but also says that effective 1Jan18, AS elites do not receive benefits when flying AA. Thanks.
You still get your Elite Bonus on AA international flights. I flew I class PHX-MEX in November and received full Mileage flown, 50% COS and 125% Elite Bonus as a MVPG75K.

Refer to the partner page for AA to see if your fare class is eligible and how much it accrues. You will get your 100% Elite bonus as an MVPG on the base miles earned for your fare class. For example, if your AA ticket is S class, your base miles would be 50% of miles flown and your Elite benefit would be 100% of that.

EQM for AA international or AS marketed, AA operated flights.

James
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You still get your Elite Bonus on AA international flights. I flew I class PHX-MEX in November and received full Mileage flown, 50% COS and 125% Elite Bonus as a MVPG75K.

Refer to the partner page for AA to see if your fare class is eligible and how much it accrues. You will get your 100% Elite bonus as an MVPG on the base miles earned for your fare class. For example, if your AA ticket is S class, your base miles would be 50% of miles flown and your Elite benefit would be 100% of that.

EQM for AA international or AS marketed, AA operated flights.

James
Glad to have confirmation of the 125% elite bonus given that the website says "You'll no longer receive elite benefits when traveling on American Airlines." Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Glad to have confirmation of the 125% elite bonus given that the website says "You'll no longer receive elite benefits when traveling on American Airlines." Thanks.
That's in reference to the priority check-in/boarding and better seating that AS elites used to be entitled to on AA. All partners qualify for the elite mileage bonuses.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
That's in reference to the priority check-in/boarding and better seating that AS elites used to be entitled to on AA. All partners qualify for the elite mileage bonuses.
Correct, as MVPG+ you used to be able to select MCE seating at booking. Surprisingly, I also flew AS6543, AA1335 PHX-SJC last week, AS Marketed, AA operated flight and I was able to select MCE exit-row seats on AS. The AA flight seating map on AS showed MCE seating as available to choose for Elites without additional charge. $59 fee on AA website. It was a light load and the two of us had then entire 12 exit-row seats to ourselves.

James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I am currently 75K but have flown almost exclusively on mileage tickets this year, so I am not going to requalify. I have two questions:
  1. Does AS do a soft landing to MVPG?
  2. Will award Tickets issued in 2018 from a 75K account carry the status into 2019 or will AS hit me with change fees for travel in 2019?
No soft landings.
Change fee is based on status at time of change so fee will apply
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: free agent
Apologize if the question is asked before but I couldn't find clear answers. I have AA HKG-CUN J ticket with intl/domestic legs. Should I put AS # for HKG-LAX, then ask gate agent to change it back to AA # for my domestic legs, then change back to AS # for MIA-CUN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.