Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I took "same-day first class boarding pass" to mean that it was from an earlier flight that same day, and the question was whether it could be used upon arrival at a connecting airport when the outgoing flight was in economy. My PDX-SAN, SAN-STL example was using a paid P class ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EmailKid
...A sponsored MVP75 GGU got me into FC - does that count for lounge access ....
No. Sorry.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I took "same-day first class boarding pass" to mean that it was from an earlier flight that same day, and the question was whether it could be used upon arrival at a connecting airport when the outgoing flight was in economy. My PDX-SAN, SAN-STL example was using a paid P class ticket.
I did this earlier in the summer traveling ANC-SEA in A & SEA-SFO in W (mixed class award). I visited both C & D lounges in SEA and was admitted with my ANC-SEA ticket.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:12 am

Hi all! I used some AS miles to book two awards on Hainan Airlines. The AS website gave me an eticket number and PNR (one for Hainan and one for AS); however, Hainan website isn't recognizing the PNR when I go to "Manage Booking on their website.

How does one select seats on Hainan flights when purchased via AS?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Hi all! I used some AS miles to book two awards on Hainan Airlines. The AS website gave me an eticket number and PNR (one for Hainan and one for AS); however, Hainan website isn't recognizing the PNR when I go to "Manage Booking on their website.

I couldn’t ever get the Hainan website to work for me, when I booked award travel. I just called Hainan customer service though, and they were happy to help me with seat selection. I don’t recall what the number was, but it’s listed on their website
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Errrr quick question as a sanity check - if I bought a ticket, say, SFO-ORD in M class, according to the earning chart for AS I earn "25% bonus miles". Is the 25% bonus EQM or RDM?

Need one last flight in the year to re-qual for 75K LOL but if the bonus miles is RDM, that throws the calculations out and I'll have to find a farther city
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by maradori
Errrr quick question as a sanity check - if I bought a ticket, say, SFO-ORD in M class, according to the earning chart for AS I earn "25% bonus miles". Is the 25% bonus EQM or RDM?

Need one last flight in the year to re-qual for 75K LOL but if the bonus miles is RDM, that throws the calculations out and I'll have to find a farther city
COS will also apply to EQM, so you will earn 125% of the distance for status.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska :

"Earned flight miles and premium cabin bonuses on Alaska Airlines count towards elite status."
maradori likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Originally Posted by osubeavers01

I couldn’t ever get the Hainan website to work for me, when I booked award travel. I just called Hainan customer service though, and they were happy to help me with seat selection. I don’t recall what the number was, but it’s listed on their website
A few of the Asian carriers do not allow you to pull up reservation on their website unless you booked direct with the airline.

For Hainan you can call 1 (888) 688-8813 or email [email protected] to get the seat assignment
Nazdoom and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
A few of the Asian carriers do not allow you to pull up reservation on their website unless you booked direct with the airline.

For Hainan you can call 1 (888) 688-8813 or email [email protected] to get the seat assignment
Thank you. Unfortunately doing it by phone as opposed to online becomes a hassle when you have 14 different flights to choose seats for -__-
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:08 pm

For future reference - I was unable to reach Hainan at any of their North American customer service or reservations numbers (just rings then a message plays with no VM option). I used Google Dialer to call their China office (which has an English option). Agent was able to select my seats for all flights except the two TPACs - he said those must be done at he airport on day of departure.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I'm not familiar with AS irops. Today flying SFO-EWR and got a 4-hour ATC delay. Called Reservations, and they said AS doesn't interline for weather/ATC.

Is that the policy everyone knows, or is this HUCA?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thank you. Unfortunately doing it by phone as opposed to online becomes a hassle when you have 14 different flights to choose seats for -__-
For future reference - I was unable to reach Hainan at any of their North American customer service or reservations numbers (just rings then a message plays with no VM option). I used Google Dialer to call their China office (which has an English option). Agent was able to select my seats for all flights except the two TPACs - he said those must be done at he airport on day of departure.
Try email anyways. While not TPAC I have received seat assignment on a third party reservation from Shenzhen to New Zealand.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Spoke to an agent today and explained the situation. This might also be applicable to you VegasGambler.
She said that usually if you're that close (<500 miles) they just usually bump you up sometime around the last 2 weeks of the year (it's not released/available right now)
She just told me to give them a call around then and don't worry about it. Hope that helps!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yinax
Spoke to an agent today and explained the situation. This might also be applicable to you VegasGambler.
She said that usually if you're that close (<500 miles) they just usually bump you up sometime around the last 2 weeks of the year (it's not released/available right now)
She just told me to give them a call around then and don't worry about it. Hope that helps!
Thanks. I'll probably just fly it though. I really want that Korean BBQ in LA.

If you get "bumped up" do you still get the GGUs? I want an opportunity to complain about not being able to use them just like everyone else!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

[...]

If you get "bumped up" do you still get the GGUs? I want an opportunity to complain about not being able to use them just like everyone else!
lol Not everyone is complaining.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.