Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Just curious, I thought premium seats had been added to all 737-900's? I noticed today that my flight tomorrow, LAS-SEA #603 does not have them. Have flown this flight many times, and was sure there were premium seats in the past. There are none all this week (except today) until Friday, and then starting Friday all of them DO have premium. Whats up with that? I do notice there is a version 1 and 2, with version 1 not having premium, but like I said, thought they had all been converted by now. Do they plan on having them done soon, or are they planning on doing them at all?
​​​​Your plane will have Premium. Don't rely on SeatGuru.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
​​​​Your plane will have Premium. Don't rely on SeatGuru.
This is what it is showing..... I do not recall it even showing when I originally booked.

Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is there a specific thread to to discuss mileage runs? Not necessarily specific good deals, but more generally... I'm curious to know what people consider to be a "good" deal in terms of cents/mile, for EQM and RDM, both for economy and premium-cabin travel.
Well, there is this in MR Discussion:

AS: 2016-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

VegasGambler likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. I'm more interested in talking general strategy than exact deals though. Teach a man to fish...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tatterdema
This is what it is showing..... I do not recall it even showing when I originally booked.
This is what I'm seeing for 603 tomorrow.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
This is what I'm seeing for 603 tomorrow.

Somthing goofy is going on. I show what you are on my phone, but on their full site on my desktop I show what I posted above. Same with tomorrow. Plus I fly this exact flight once a month and have never seen just one Premium seat left. Look at the flights all around it, they have several seats in premium. Weird.

Now when I go through the check in process I am showing that seat on my desktop. It is offering it for $49. If I just do a change seat it is free. Thanks for your help, I guess it is just a glitch of somekind.

Last edited by tatterdema; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: More checking...
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:40 pm

If the 1st leg is in first class & the 2nd in economy all on the one ticket, do the baggage allowances for the 1st leg carry through?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
If the 1st leg is in first class & the 2nd in economy all on the one ticket, do the baggage allowances for the 1st leg carry through?
Yes! See below in change of the baggage section on the receipt

Checked baggage: Your first and second checked bag fees are $25 each. All standard rules and fees apply. Refer to our Checked baggage page for details and exceptions.
After upfaring the segments in middle of the trip to First. Beginning segment on outbound and last segment on return remain in economy:
Checked baggage: Your first and second checked bag fees are waived. All standard rules and fees apply. Refer to our Checked baggage page for details and exceptions.
ETA: I'm assuming both segments are on Alaska and on an Alaska ticket?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:08 pm

Hi everyone, first time poster. I have a question on MVP Gold qualification. I'm going to be 26 miles short of 50k by the end of the year. Are there any strategies besides trying a mileage run? My schedule is pretty tight at the end of the year so squeezing in even a short trip would be difficult (not impossible) but I'd love any other ideas. Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yinax
Hi everyone, first time poster. I have a question on MVP Gold qualification. I'm going to be 26 miles short of 50k by the end of the year. Are there any strategies besides trying a mileage run? My schedule is pretty tight at the end of the year so squeezing in even a short trip would be difficult (not impossible) but I'd love any other ideas. Thanks!
I'm in a similar situation (except 225 miles off). Seems like the options are:

1. Make an extra flight.
2. Upfare an existing ticket for a CoS bonus.
3. Hope that they just give it to you.

If you have any domestic AS flights that are not too deep-discount, the upfare may be relatively cheap. You don't need to go all the way to first class... just M or higher is fine (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska) Unfortunately that did not work for me since all my tickets are T or R, and they are all $300+ cheaper than M.

ETA: To search for fares in a particular fare class, you can use matrix. Use the "outbound extension codes" and enter, for example "f bc=M | bc=B | bc=Y | bc=S | bc=P | bc=F". That will show you the cheapest available fare that earns any CoS bonus at all (which is all you need). Technically they are supposed to charge you a change fee for anything other than upfaring to F (unless you are Gold), and if you try to do it on the website it will charge you that fee, but many people have reported good luck doing it over the phone and asking them to waive it, when you are not actually changing flights. Of course you're not entitled to it, but it's worth asking.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 8, 2018 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
What is your current Elite Status? Can you add a short segment to an existing reservation? SEA-PDX-LAX will produce more EQM (providing Flight Number is not the same) than SEA-LAX as each segment has a 500 Mile EQM Minimum.

If you are really pressed for time, consider upfaring one of your existing segments to a fare bucket with a COS (Class of service) Bonus which is also EQM. B & M fares earn 25% COS while S & Y fares earn 50% COS. On a segment <500 miles an upfare to M class would yield another 125 EQM without the need for another flight.

I would see where you can maximize your EQM while minimizing your upfare cost over your existing itineraries.

An AS Agent can help you with deteriming price differntials and availabilities. Don't be shy to tell the Agent that you think you will be short x miles for MVPG and you would like to upfare a segment for the COS or add a segment to ensure you make it over the threshold. My AS experience has always been excellent.

James
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS
Welcome to Flyertalk!!
Hope we can offer some insight and information.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It cant be guaranteed but there are some reports in past being that close they may help you out if you call. That or cash offer to cover the difference.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes! See below in change of the baggage section on the receipt

After upfaring the segments in middle of the trip to First. Beginning segment on outbound and last segment on return remain in economy:

ETA: I'm assuming both segments are on Alaska and on an Alaska ticket?
Yes all on AS. Many thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Companion fare routing rules

Thinking of doing a trip from SEA - FAI - OGG/KOA - SEA (aurora and beach!); would like to use the companion fare.

Some of the trips that go from FAI --> OGG go back via Seattle. Does that make the routing invalid for the companion fare?

The other alternatives might have us connecting in ANC twice, but I don't think that's an issue for routing for an interim stop according to what I've found on the interwebs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.