Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
i would not put all your faith on AS to achieve your end goal. afterall, the partner airline is the one who hold the reins in opening up the seat on the new date, not AS.
if you have another alternative that appeals to you equally, maybe consider grabbing it now, and then get full miles refund from AS.
Thanks. Unless anybody else has more reassuring information, that's what we'll try to do.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, United Platinum
Noob here, long time lurker, second time posting. Questions for the long time Alaska Flyers- has the service and delays been particularly bad in 2018? Background- I was Gold on Virgin America with a ton of miles and a regular flyer on their sfo-pdx route every couple of weeks as well as semi-regular to Chicago and NYC. With the merge of the FF first they removed my status completely then they gave me only MVP instead of MVP Gold which is what I think I should have gotten. In the last 6 months every single Alaska flight I've flown, almost all of them in Virgin planes has been late, several had mechanical issues and once we we re-routed for "lack of fuel". In 6 years of Virgin America I was late 4 times. As the gate agent's temperament has drastically changed from the VA's usually cheerful if not always able to help attitude. My work has started flying me United because of the delays and I've gotten Platinum in just a few months from having nothing. I'm only a few miles away from keeping my MVP on Alaska but thinking of just abandoning them completely. The plus for Alaska is they do seem to give out complimentary upgrades more often than United with half of my flights having been upgraded to premium or first but the delays are killing it for me and they have so many flights right now SFO-PDX. So is this just bumps in the merger or is this how Alaska always is?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
While I have not tried it, if I had a ticket SEA-SFO-XXX with second leg on an international partner carrier, given SFO ATC delays, it would be insane of AS not to allow me to travel on an earlier SEA-SFO if available.
As it turned out, SFO was fine, but SEA was screwed up - and they let me onto an earlier delayed flight, no problem. Note that the phone agent and the checkin counter agent couldn't help, but the gate agent had no problem helping me change.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredd
In our case the partner has just canceled the flight on the day ticketed but no alternative was offered.

We called Monday right after getting the email from AS and the agent said they would request a flight from the partner for the following day.

We called back yesterday at the agent's suggestion. Yesterday's agent said an email had been sent to the partner but they'd heard nothing back and that there's "a lot of time" until our flight in early January. It was probably meant to be reassuring but it came across as a little casual.

We've seen one alternative already dry up. I don't know if partner airlines of AS feel any obligation in this kind of situation. I'd welcome a sense of what we can realistically and reasonably expect from AS, so as to know whether we need to look seriously at anything we can find to get us where we want to be in 2 1/2 months.
Originally Posted by gnomey
i would not put all your faith on AS to achieve your end goal. afterall, the partner airline is the one who hold the reins in opening up the seat on the new date, not AS.
if you have another alternative that appeals to you equally, maybe consider grabbing it now, and then get full miles refund from AS.
A month ago or so, CX downgraded the flight my wife was on, eliminating F. I called AS and the agent said she would have the partner desk would reach out and ask for release of a seat on a later flight with F. When I called back on the date suggested, the agent, and then the supervisor who I asked for, said AS had no control over this and had no way to ask CX for anything. They were also incredibly rude. I explained I wasn't demanding anything simply asking that they reach out to CX as AS had said it would. The conversation went nowhere, and eventually I hung up. I sent an email complaint to customer service about the agents' rudeness. The next day, I received an email that my wife's reservation had been changed to the flight I wanted. A few days after that I received an email from customer service telling me that they were sorry I was disappointed but that AS had no control over partner award inventory.

I think the right agent and the partner desk can be helpful. But I agree if you see an acceptable alternative, grab it. Don't rely on AS.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I think the right agent and the partner desk can be helpful. But I agree if you see an acceptable alternative, grab it. Don't rely on AS.
Good grief! We've yet to run across a rude AS employee and that sounds like a poor situation for you in a couple of ways, even though you finally got what you requested.

Yes, given the advice we were planning to book an alternative that included an extra hotel night and a paid intra-Asia flight.

First, this morning (Saturday) Mrs. Fredd called AS and was put through to a very friendly supervisor at the partner desk. After a very long wait on hold, she told us the partner had just confirmed the substitute flight we'd requested Monday, and she herself processed it, including domestic connections.

That's quite a relief, as we've pre-paid some hotel rooms along the way and our return SQ flight AMD-SIN-EWR is paid.

This is the first international partner flight we've booked on AS points. We've now learned some of the limitations and will plan some escape hatches (e.g. our UA points) the next time.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
A month ago or so, CX downgraded the flight my wife was on, eliminating F.
I had that happen too. CX LAX-HKG in early February and then onto BNE. I booked 1F & 1J. It looks like on that day only, the aircraft was swapped from a 4-cabin confihured 777-300ER to a 3-cabin.

Not a big deal, we will both be in J together and both confirmed in JL F from TYO for the return home.

James

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:43 am

OGG boarding & cutting it close

Aloha flyers, I've been gratefully lurking here for years. Good times.

I'm flying OGG--PDX later this week and have a class (and a quiz) that I'll need to leave early in order to catch my flight. I'm wondering just how early I need to leave.
I was denied boarding on AS a few years back at ORD after a security delay (don't try to take a vitamix in your carry-on) when I arrived at the gate 12 min before scheduled departure. I had to come back the next day, and I learned my lesson.

However, I fly AS out of OGG 5-6 times a year and have noticed they seem to regularly begin the boarding process "late" out of OGG.

Do anyone else have experience with this or have any advice regarding the latest I could safely arrive at the gate for a 12:05 pm flight? I know the obvious answer is 30-40 minutes but in this specific situation, an extra 10-15 minutes would be really valuable. I'm just a little gun shy after the Chicago mishap. I have TSA pre-check and will check my luggage earlier that morning so I'm figuring 20 minutes to get from the curb to the gate considering its a tiny airport and I'll just have a small personal item.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:19 pm

I've been around FT for a while, but mostly lurking and not too much posting. I’m a recent Delta convert, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and think I have this down, but I’m just looking for some confirmation that I am understanding Alaska’s booking/upgrade policy correctly.

In this example, I am running through a few scenarios using the Fare Type filter… If I were to book flights 3464 & 686 directly into F, I’d pay $510. If I were to book using the 75K upgrade fare, I’d pay $415 and would be confirmed into F instantly? If I were to book the same flights using the Gold Guest upgrade fare I’d pay $325, and would need to use one of my upgrade codes but would be instantly booked into F as well? Likely to have some follow up questions, but thank you so much!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by deedszilla

I've been around FT for a while, but mostly lurking and not too much posting. I’m a recent Delta convert, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and think I have this down, but I’m just looking for some confirmation that I am understanding Alaska’s booking/upgrade policy correctly.

In this example, I am running through a few scenarios using the Fare Type filter… If I were to book flights 3464 & 686 directly into F, I’d pay $510. If I were to book using the 75K upgrade fare, I’d pay $415 and would be confirmed into F instantly? If I were to book the same flights using the Gold Guest upgrade fare I’d pay $325, and would need to use one of my upgrade codes but would be instantly booked into F as well? Likely to have some follow up questions, but thank you so much!
You need to check for 2 pax in your search. In this example, there may only be 1 U available. Run the query again with 2 pax. If there is 2 U (blue background) then as a MVPG+ you can upgrade the other party in the reservation either by paying the MVPG75K (or as appropriate for your Elite Status) fare each or using the companion certificate. When applying the certificate the primary passenger pays the Gold upgrade fare (in this case $325) & the companion fare will be $99.00 (or no fee if your certificate has the "free" promotion) plus fees & taxes.

If you determine there are 2 U, enter you companion certificate number and the fare for the companion will also be listed below it with fees & taxes included. You will need a GGU for your companion as well. In this case both legs will be upgraded because the connection time between BOI-SEA & SEA-ORD is less than 4 hours.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 26, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by deedszilla

[...]
EDIT: Yes you would be upgraded into F immediately. You will make your purchase first and then AS will give you the option to apply the GGU after purchase. Once applied, you can select your seat.

I covered the use of a companion certificate as that is usually what I am going and initially thought you were doing as well.. Sorry to add any confusion if it isn't applicable.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You need to check for 2 pax in your search. In this example, there may only be 1 U available. Run the query again with 2 pax. If there is 2 U (blue background) then as a MVPG+ you can upgrade the other party in the reservation either by paying the MVPG75K (or as appropriate for your Elite Status) fare each or using the companion certificate. When applying the certificate the primary passenger pays the Gold upgrade fare (in this case $325) & the companion fare will be $99.00 (or no fee if your certificate has the "free" promotion) plus fees & taxes.

If you determine there are 2 U, enter you companion certificate number and the fare for the companion will also be listed below it with fees & taxes included. You will need a GGU for your companion as well. In this case both legs will be upgraded because the connection time between BOI-SEA & SEA-ORD is less than 4 hours.

James
Wait, since when can companion certificates can be used for F? I thought they are for coach fares only these days. I've never had an AS Visa till this year but I seem to recall reading that years ago you could use the companion certs on F fares as well. "new eligible Alaska Airlines VisaŽ cardholders will qualify to buy one round trip coach ticket on Alaska Airlines and receive the second for a $0 base fare, plus applicable taxes and fees from $22 based on your flight itinerary"
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Wait, since when can companion certificates can be used for F? I thought they are for coach fares only these days. I've never had an AS Visa till this year but I seem to recall reading that years ago you could use the companion certs on F fares as well. "new eligible Alaska Airlines VisaŽ cardholders will qualify to buy one round trip coach ticket on Alaska Airlines and receive the second for a $0 base fare, plus applicable taxes and fees from $22 based on your flight itinerary"
They can be used on instant upgrade- or GGU-eligible economy fares, but not paid F.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Wait, since when can companion certificates can be used for F? I thought they are for coach fares only these days.
That's technically correct. You can't use it for an F or P fare. You are still eligible for complimentary upgrades into U (GGUs, instant upgrade fare classes, mileage, & upgrade window/gate upgrades) from a purchased coach fare.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
That's technically correct. You can't use it for an F or P fare. You are still eligible for complimentary upgrades into U (GGUs, instant upgrade fare classes, mileage, & upgrade window/gate upgrades) from a purchased coach fare.
And hence why I get 5 annually.

James
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: AS
What is the current situation with using Companion certificate and full Y when booking . Do both passengers get COS on miles?
(watching longest World Series game in history...still 2-2)

Last edited by pcoll; Oct 27, 2018 at 12:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.