Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bodory
Hello,

Question about MVP qualification.

AS website is saying that I am currently less than 500 miles to MVP, i.e. I have 24,4xx year-to-date Alaska/partner qualifying miles.

The 2018 flights are with partners only (CX, SQ, JL and EK) and breakdown is as follows:
- CX miles: a
- SQ miles: b
- JL miles: c
- EK miles: d / EK bonus: e

How are the 24,4xx calculated? Because when doing all the possible additions with a, b, c, d and e I never come to it.

NB: I did not put the actual figures for confidentiality reason.

Thanks!
EQM is the base miles (actual mileage x %base miles earned) + additional amount if needed to bring it up to 500 miles (except for CX I believe) + Class of Service bonus. Unfortunately the website doesn't break EQM out and just shows RDM, which also includes elite bonus and Additional Bonus (if applicable).

For the EK bonus, is it a fare class with an Additional Bonus? That would be my first guess for the discrepency.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Many
Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is no elite bonus as the current status is the basic one with AS.
All flights have been taken in Y, except one EK flight in business. Hence the bonus which is a class of service one.

The thing is even by computing/excluding one by one the flights there is no way I get to the amount calculated by AS.

Last edited by bodory; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is no elite bonus as the current status is the basic one with AS.
All flights have been taken in Y, except one EK flight in business. Hence the bonus which is a class of service one.

The thing is even by computing one by one the flights there is no way I get to the amount calculated by AS.
You're most welcome!

EK Business (J C O I) has a 100% Additional Bonus, in addition to the 25% CoS bonus, and both will be lumped together as Bonus Miles in your account history but only the CoS bonus will count towards elite miles.

I'd call Mileage Plan Customer Service 800-654-5669 during the day and walk through the calculations with a live rep. They can see a more detailed break down of the miles, including the fare codes posted, to figure out why it's not adding up.

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:34 pm

Ok I got it know. When I do the breakdown between CoS bonus and additional bonus I get the same amount as AS.

Thanks very much
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Ok I got it know. When I do the breakdown between CoS bonus and additional bonus I get the same amount as AS.

Thanks very much
I see that rustykettel isn't so rusty on the draw He beat me to the thread and posted while I was composing. He is very well versed on AS and computational factors of Mileage Plan. .

Happy it tallies up for you.

Without knowing the details of the city pairs, airlines and fare bucket it is really difficult to advise where the discrepancy lays. Do you think you should have more or less EQM?

Your EK Business Class flight has 100% of distance flown plus an additional 25% Class of Service Bonus PLUS an additinal 100% bonus. Effectively 225% of miles flown. The distance flown plus the class of service bonus (125%) is EQM while the additional bonus (100%) is RDM only.

Would the discrepancy be the actual miles flown on the EK J flight?

James
bodory likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:50 pm

This flame free thread is really precious, both about content and spirit.

Thanks to all of you.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Canceled International Award flight on Partner Airline

We recently learned a one-way flight we booked in July for January 2019 has been canceled. When we called, AS offered us a refund (which we don't want) and requested a flight with the same airline for a nearby day that will work for us. There's been no progress in four days, and we asked again yesterday.

Does AS accept any obligation beyond what they're now doing? What happens if this partner answers in the negative? Will AS check with other partners? In the meantime, of course, we're searching for other alternatives ourselves.

Insights and suggestions welcomed.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
We recently learned a one-way flight we booked in July for January 2019 has been canceled. When we called, AS offered us a refund (which we don't want) and requested a flight with the same airline for a nearby day that will work for us. There's been no progress in four days, and we asked again yesterday.

Does AS accept any obligation beyond what they're now doing? What happens if this partner answers in the negative? Will AS check with other partners? In the meantime, of course, we're searching for other alternatives ourselves.

Insights and suggestions welcomed.
i m surprised AS even try to secure another day for you - is that the norm? when something like this happened to me previously, i got shafted to another partner airline metal, which i didnt want. so i just ended up canceling, got the miles refunded, and extra 5K AS miles for the inconvenience.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
i m surprised AS even try to secure another day for you - is that the norm? when something like this happened to me previously, i got shafted to another partner airline metal, which i didnt want. so i just ended up canceling, got the miles refunded, and extra 5K AS miles for the inconvenience.
Did AS offer you this flight on another partner? The same number of miles?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:43 pm

Did AS offer you this flight on another partner? The same number of miles?
i was moved off to another partner, yes, and that's how i found out that i was no longer on my original flight. same number of miles. but that's not the issue.

i still cancel the flight since i dont want to ride on that new partner's metal
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
What is seat 1W?

A passenger just cleared into it from the “Awaiting Seat” list.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by twitch76
What is seat 1W?

A passenger just cleared into it from the “Awaiting Seat” list.
Left wing seat.

Actually, cockpit jumpseat.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
i was moved off to another partner, yes, and that's how i found out that i was no longer on my original flight. same number of miles. but that's not the issue.

i still cancel the flight since i dont want to ride on that new partner's metal
In our case the partner has just canceled the flight on the day ticketed but no alternative was offered.

We called Monday right after getting the email from AS and the agent said they would request a flight from the partner for the following day.

We called back yesterday at the agent's suggestion. Yesterday's agent said an email had been sent to the partner but they'd heard nothing back and that there's "a lot of time" until our flight in early January. It was probably meant to be reassuring but it came across as a little casual.

We've seen one alternative already dry up. I don't know if partner airlines of AS feel any obligation in this kind of situation. I'd welcome a sense of what we can realistically and reasonably expect from AS, so as to know whether we need to look seriously at anything we can find to get us where we want to be in 2 1/2 months.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I flew a QF F award DFW-SYD in late August. The flight was cancelled due to mechanical on the day of departure. Surprisingly, QF Sent me notification and requested I contact them. I messaged them via the QF APP. They looked at getting me to SYDNEY via LAX/SFO the same night not only on QF but AA & CX too. The agent even checked some of my suggestions as well. Connections and availability didn't work out so they moved me to the following day. Same cabin, same seat.

They also provided a night in a hotel and a food & beverage allowance. Great service.

I had already checked in for a 2-night stay at the Marriott in SYDNEY. I messaged them to advise I would be a day late. They graciously changed my reservation to a 1 night stay without penalty even though the cancellation window had already closed. My onward flight to Melbourne was not affected.

Why not message the Airline and inquire with them?

James
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:27 am

In our case the partner has just canceled the flight on the day ticketed but no alternative was offered.

We called Monday right after getting the email from AS and the agent said they would request a flight from the partner for the following day.

We called back yesterday at the agent's suggestion. Yesterday's agent said an email had been sent to the partner but they'd heard nothing back and that there's "a lot of time" until our flight in early January. It was probably meant to be reassuring but it came across as a little casual.

We've seen one alternative already dry up. I don't know if partner airlines of AS feel any obligation in this kind of situation. I'd welcome a sense of what we can realistically and reasonably expect from AS, so as to know whether we need to look seriously at anything we can find to get us where we want to be in 2 1/2 months.
i would not put all your faith on AS to achieve your end goal. afterall, the partner airline is the one who hold the reins in opening up the seat on the new date, not AS.
if you have another alternative that appeals to you equally, maybe consider grabbing it now, and then get full miles refund from AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.