Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm getting the same error as usual

Error
  • Sorry, we are unable to complete your request. Please try again later. [E21T284]
That is what I have been getting. So I am not alone. May be this due to when the tickets were issued?

EDIT
I can use the 027 ticket to "open" the Update page on travel doc screen, but the system would NOT Update on what I entered. So essentially it still would not add the KTN despite I am able to input it but the site would not save it. I dont know what else are required, as there are also Visa section. There is no need for Visa to enter Hong Kong esp with HKSAR, but the second segment of the ticket is HKG-MEL, and indeed there is Australia ETA. Not sure if it is needed in order to be able to update the Passenger Details, but it does not give me any error about missing info but indeed giving error when the Country of Residence is not picked, as well as Country of Nationality / Issuance of the Travel Doc are not picked, the site gives me error.
But even after fixing the errors, I still cannot UPDATE the details. So useless.

2ND EDIT
I added the Australia ETA to it then click Update - the system gave me a promising window with an option of "Confiorm" in Green.
Unfortunately after I clicked the "Confirm" I then got this error message
Error
  • Sorry, we are unable to complete your request. Please try again later. [E21T1931]

So it remains useless. I dont know what is wrong with it. Will try to do it during weekday HKG time and see what happens.

It looks to me it is the Passenger Name is missing the Middle Name? Travel Document has Middle Name but the Ticket has not. I have never had this issue before on multiple AS / AA tickets in the pass that sometimes they have the middle names sometimes they dont.

This is what the pop up window shows
Please check your name again.
Passenger name: XXXXX XXXXXX
Name on travel document: XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
You can proceed to check-in. However, please note that due to immigration and security regulation policy, your name on the boarding pass MUST match with your travel document. If there’s a discrepancy, please contact your Airport Check-in counter for assistance.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, does that mean I need to call AS to fix the Missing Middle Name Issue?

I look at last Aug's AS tickets JNB-HKG-LAX, Middle Names were not on the tickets. We had no problem at either JNB or HKG.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm getting the same error as usual

Error
  • Sorry, we are unable to complete your request. Please try again later. [E21T284]
If you have a Cathay Pacific Login, try logging out and then "manage" booking while logged out. It will ask for your name along with record locator or e-ticket number.

If it doesn't come up with your first name, try with first & middle names. Omit the space between first & middle. If it comes up either way you will know how the name is on the cx PNR. If this differs from your profile, changes won't stick.

CX is pretty sticky with both the PNR & Profile Documents being identical. I ran into this the first time I booked a CX award. It wouldn't pull up the reservation until I added my 2 middle names without spaces even though their system truncates the last three character because all three names together were too long.

James
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you have a Cathay Pacific Login, try logging out and then "manage" booking while logged out. It will ask for your name along with record locator or e-ticket number.

If it doesn't come up with your first name, try with first & middle names. Omit the space between first & middle. If it comes up either way you will know how the name is on the cx PNR. If this differs from your profile, changes won't stick.

CX is pretty sticky with both the PNR & Profile Documents being identical. I ran into this the first time I booked a CX award. It wouldn't pull up the reservation until I added my 2 middle names without spaces even though their system truncates the last three character because all three names together were too long.

James
I tried both ways middle and non middle and same error message about try again later. When i did my current booking, AS collected middle name. My last flight during the "must have middle name match" I had no problems checking in , which seemed to match another thread that HKG decided not to implement 100% match rule problems. Last trip did not ask for ticket number during OLCI like the website did a few days prior, no problems were encountered at check-in nor during the continuation after stop-over
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
AS asked middle name at ticketing but the ticket still has no middle name.

I can pull up the reservation with either CX PNR or AS 027 ticket number - but as you said, the update would not stick because the passenger name does not match the name in the profile.

But I honestly dont know how the middle name got there - AS profile has middle name but with US passport while CX passenger details has middle name but with HKSAR passport. Yet the ticket itself has no middle name.

Last year we traveled with AS issued tickets without middle name but did not ever being questioned at either JNB or at HKG returned to LAX.
BA issued CX tickets never have middle name, nor BA profile has middle name. Passports have middle names. Did not have issue on tickets originating from HKG and returning to HKG.

I found a thread in CX forum that discussed the middle name issue - it seems that AS does not have middle name field in ticketing, but can put in middle name in the "secure passenger data" of the airlines reservation system - and supposedly that is where the check in agents look at.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...parture-9.html

Nonetheless I will call AS on Monday to ask about this and then post back what I am told.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2018 at 9:01 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:37 pm

Hi all. After a lot of searching on the internet in general and on this forum, I'm still stumped: does Alaska offer the ability to upgrade an economy fare to first class by simply paying the fare difference? I've used this method on United many times to upgrade to first after booking a coach fare through my corporate travel site (my employer doesn't allow booking first even if paying the difference from personal funds).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ceedee475
Hi all. After a lot of searching on the internet in general and on this forum, I'm still stumped: does Alaska offer the ability to upgrade an economy fare to first class by simply paying the fare difference? I've used this method on United many times to upgrade to first after booking a coach fare through my corporate travel site (my employer doesn't allow booking first even if paying the difference from personal funds).
Yeah, you can call in for an upfare. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if you'd have to pay the change fee more than twenty-four hours after purchase if you're a non-elite.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, you can call in for an upfare. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if you'd have to pay the change fee more than twenty-four hours after purchase if you're a non-elite.
You can also do it online in My Trips and change the reservation there.

Upfaring does count as a change and a change fee applies after 24 hours or the second change within 24 hours of purchase. However, when I've done it in the past sometimes an agent will waive the change fee. The website won't, outside of the free change (or if you're Gold/75K).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
You can also do it online in My Trips and change the reservation there.
I've done this many times when I, too, need a Y receipt for reimbursement but want to purchase an attractive fare in First.

After the itinerary is ticketed, I simply go to the "Change Flight" link (within 24 hours if you're not MVPG+!) and follow the bread crumbs and you'll be presented with the options for upfaring and the extra cash needed.
rustykettel and pbelmore like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've done this many times when I, too, need a Y receipt for reimbursement but want to purchase an attractive fare in First.

After the itinerary is ticketed, I simply go to the "Change Flight" link (within 24 hours if you're not MVPG+!) and follow the bread crumbs and you'll be presented with the options for upfaring and the extra cash needed.
Excellent, thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:29 am

So, quick question. I have just over 6K Alaska miles accumulated from a couple years ago and don't foresee traveling on the airline anytime soon as I live in the UK now. What can I do with the miles apart from donating them?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
So, quick question. I have just over 6K Alaska miles accumulated from a couple years ago and don't foresee traveling on the airline anytime soon as I live in the UK now. What can I do with the miles apart from donating them?
You can donate them, or transfer them to another member's account for a fee (I think about $10/1000 miles, plus a per transaction fee). You can use them for magazine subscriptions, but believe those are limited to US delivery, as well. With only 6k, you'd be lucky to find many flight or hotel award options that are useful to you, but you could buy more miles to get to a level where you might find some value if you wanted to.

More details here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...plan/use-miles
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:58 pm

I was bumped from a flight, and the rebooked flight is in Y class. I was wondering if it's possible to use MVP status/GGU for an instant upgrade on the rebooked flight even if the original booking class was not in an eligible fare class? When trying to apply a code on the website, it says to call in for anything related to the reservation
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Do you know anyone in the US you can book an award for? You can get a short haul award, a hop upto 700 miles, ie SEA-SFO, LAX-SFO, LAS-SFO/LAX or even a two segment GEG-SEA-EUG for 5K and donate the rest. Taxes & Fee $6 on one segment, $12 on two.

James
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:52 pm

I have a Condor (881...) ticket with SFO-SEA on AS307 followed by SEA-FRA on DE2033 in business class. It's about 2 and a half hours for the connection. It was a good price and will earn a ton of miles! But I'm suddenly a bit worried about the possibility of a missed connection.

If the Alaska flight is super delayed (let's say it's a typical SFO ATC snafu) and I am going to miss the Condor flight, would it be Alaska's job to rebook me, or would I have to call Condor? I think (hope) the answer is Alaska based on other stuff I've read here...

Would they have to rebook me on the next day's Condor flight or could they rebook me on another airline?

If they can put me on another airline, would it need to be one of Condor's interline partners (since it's their ticket) or one of Alaska's interline partners (since they would be doing the rebooking) or both?

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I just want to know what the rules are in case it does. Thanks in advance for any info or any first-hand experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.