Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Couldn't find this in the wiki...for an award ticket (my case one way) it says on the site that I get one free change to that ticket. Is that right and if so how does it work? Assume routing stays the same...and if mileage requirement change I add to it? How long of a window do you get to pick a new date? THANK YOU....
If you booked prior to 6/5/18 you get one change or cancel fee waiver as long as its done at least 60 days in advance of departure date
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Even an existung hop <500 miles would give you a 125 EQM Bonus on an "M" fare if you are already Gold.
Class of Service bonuses aren't status dependent. Anyone will earn 25% CoS on a M (or B) fare. ^
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:07 am

In the AS award search tool, there are at least three categories: Main Cabin, Partner Business and First Class. If I'm looking to book J class with AA, should I be looking for available seats in Partner Business or First Class? And if I'm using the AA tool, which AA category should I be looking for, to book J class via AS MP -- Business/First MileSAAver, Business/First AAnytime, First MileSAAver or First AAnytime? Does award availability showing in the AA tool necessarily mean availability booking via AS MP?

Also, where can I find the list of AS routing rules for booking international award travel (allowable stopovers, open jaws, max mileage, etc). EDIT: I have found the T&C language here (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions). Is there any other wording I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Last edited by Genouver; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:23 am Reason: edit
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Class of Service bonuses aren't status dependent. Anyone will earn 25% CoS on a M (or B) fare. ^
Oops! You are most certainly (almost) correct. I was thinking of eligle upgrade fares.

If you want to split hairs, anyone that isn't a member of Mileage Plan won't earn a COS bonus, hence Almost! lol ^ ^

James
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
I will be doing business travel of LAX- I'm looking for one FF program to stick with and am thinking about Alaska. I'm still super confused about the upgrade process.

1) So let's say I fly a lot and reach MVP Gold. If I wanted to get upgraded going from LAX-to-JFK, when I look on Expert Flyer for U upgrades I don't see any or any flights. So if I purchased "First Class Upgradable" with no U fares, if F fares are available at booking - would I have just purchased a very expensive coach ticket with no chance of getting to first class?

2) If I book at First Class Upgradable- does that show up on my billing statement as First Class or as coach since it hasn't been upgraded yet?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Sharice SB
I will be doing business travel of LAX- I'm looking for one FF program to stick with and am thinking about Alaska. I'm still super confused about the upgrade process.

1) So let's say I fly a lot and reach MVP Gold. If I wanted to get upgraded going from LAX-to-JFK, when I look on Expert Flyer for U upgrades I don't see any or any flights. So if I purchased "First Class Upgradable" with no U fares, if F fares are available at booking - would I have just purchased a very expensive coach ticket with no chance of getting to first class?

2) If I book at First Class Upgradable- does that show up on my billing statement as First Class or as coach since it hasn't been upgraded yet?
Depending on where your business travel is taking you, AS could be a good program for you. Just make sure the routes you'll be flying are covered by Alaska's route map.

In terms of upgrades, they all book into U class. When you're buying the "first class upgradeable", you're buying a fare that is eligible for "instant" upgrade, and immediately moved to the waitlist, and moved into first if/when U becomes available (of course behind other elites already on the waitlist). Depending on the route, number of elites w/ instant upgrade fares, flight load, etc, there's a chance, but not a guarantee of getting upgrades (though higher likelihood than just buying the cheapest coach fare).

Billing statement will show a coach fare purchased, though if you're upgraded immediately (U is available at time of purchase on an eligible fare), it may show that you're in First, depending on when the upgrade occurs and when your confirmation is sent. It will include something to the effect of "complimentary or mileage upgrade" though, if that would be enough to satisfy your company's travel folks.. It won't show that you purchased something higher than the lowest available, unless they have insight into fare inventory or something.. If you're still worried about this, you could buy the upgradeable fare and opt-out of complimentary upgrades initially, then once you've got your invoice call in to request an upgrade.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Thanks be_rett for answering my question.
So just to clarify:

1) If a U upgrade is available at time of purchase (White F with Blue ground) and I select and "First Class Fare Upgradable"- then I would instantly get the First Class Seat. I also am assuming this is the same if I wanted to upgrade one-way with 15,000- I would instantly get the seat if I purchased an upgradeable fare, correct? If the U upgrade isn't available and I select "First Class Fare Upgradeable" then once any U fares opens up then they start clearing the list in this order according to Travelcodex:

* MVP Gold 75K and companion upgrades, based on fare class
* MVP Gold and companion upgrades, based on fare class,
* MVP upgrades, based on fare class
* Paid upgrades requested at check-in/gate <--- I would be here? Would mileage request be here?

So based on this if there's no U fares free at time of booking- then it would be much better for me to have even "lowly" MVP status and attempt to get the upgrade for free then do a paid upgrades since I would always be last if I paid in advanced.

2) On the buying the upgradable fare, can I buy a regular coach ticket and then call in and tell them I want to purchase an upgradable fare and pay the difference then? I wasn't sure if that is something that can be changed after the fact.

3) Also, I saw people on various threads mentioning they use expertflyer to monitor U fares- what’s the point of this? Won’t they be automatically upgraded according to the priority wait list- why monitor it?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks be_rett for answering my question.
So just to clarify:

1) If a U upgrade is available at time of purchase (White F with Blue ground) and I select and "First Class Fare Upgradable"- then I would instantly get the First Class Seat. I also am assuming this is the same if I wanted to upgrade one-way with 15,000- I would instantly get the seat if I purchased an upgradeable fare, correct?
Correct, it will complete as an economy purchase and then automatically upgrade you into F.

If the U upgrade isn't available and I select "First Class Fare Upgradeable" then once any U fares opens up then they start clearing the list in this order according to Travelcodex:
Incorrect, you are confusing upgrading eligible fares with complimentary upgrades. Eligible fares move to the waitlist in the order of purchase, regardless of Elite Status. Ineligible fares for elites will be added to the "waitlist request queue" for their elite tier and will not be added to the waitlist in fare class then purchase date order when the upgrade window opens up. A MVP who purchased an eligible fare at 125 hours would clear before a complimentary MVPG75K upgrade who move to the waitlist at 120 hours.

So based on this if there's no U fares free at time of booking- then it would be much better for me to have even "lowly" MVP status and attempt to get the upgrade for free then do a paid upgrades since I would always be last if I paid in advanced.
If you were a "lowly" MVP your upgrade cost would be higher as you would need to buy a full Y or S fare to be eligible. As explained before, you will already be on the waitlist before and non-eligible fares are moved to it.

2) On the buying the upgradable fare, can I buy a regular coach ticket and then call in and tell them I want to purchase an upgradable fare and pay the difference then? I wasn't sure if that is something that can be changed after the fact.
This you can do and why some use ExpertFlyer ro monitor for U opening. Upfaring will not trigger a change fee if you don't have a waiver.

3) Also, I saw people on various threads mentioning they use expertflyer to monitor U fares- what’s the point of this? Won’t they be automatically upgraded according to the priority wait list- why monitor it?
As above to upfare to an eligible fare or use an upgrade instrument like a GGU. It also allows for upgrading at anytime as you are not bound by a complimentary upgrade window.

James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
I've been targeted with the 50% bonus for buying AS miles. I am planning on buying 3 batches of miles to get the required 200K that I need. I want to understand how long it typically takes for purchased miles and the bonus miles to deposit in my account, so I can be confident that the award space will be there when I go to book.

I will be using the miles on a partner award, which I know cannot be put on hold until I have the miles in my account to purchase the ticket. I called AS tonight and the flights I want are available, but I know things can change and availability is variable. I'm trying to minimize my risk as much as possible, don't want to buy 200K miles in my account that I can't use!

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Fare drop and previously applied GGU's

Was doing one last crawl through my reservations before the fare drop credit provision goes away in a couple of days.

Discovered that one of my trips (2 people, myself and Mrs. cblaisd), whose reservation was made months ago for travel in October has had a $120/per person drop!

But I applied my four MVPG Gold Guest Upgrades to both the outbound and return legs and do NOT want to lose those!

What's the current wisdom on whether an AS phone rep can process the fare drop credit AND keep the GGU's applied?

If this is possible, is there a difference in general between the personnel at one call center versus another in their ability to know how to do this?

Neither leg is current showing 2 "U" fares available.
@missydarlin

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 30, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. Now for my obligatory dumb first question... I fly out of PDX tomorrow morning on Southwest to San Diego. From there, I’m flying in paid F on Alaska to St. Louis. Do I happen to have Alaska lounge access at PDX? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Was doing one last crawl through my reservations before the fare drop credit provision goes away in a couple of days.
I can’t answer the rest of your question, but it appears as though the tickets have to have been purchased before the 31st. I think you can still apply for credit after the 31st, as long as the tickets were purchased before the 31st.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite

Discovered that one of my trips (2 people, myself and Mrs. cblaisd), whose reservation was made months ago for travel in October has had a $120/per person drop!

But I applied my four MVPG Gold Guest Upgrades to both the outbound and return legs and do NOT want to lose those!

What's the current wisdom on whether an AS phone rep can process the fare drop credit AND keep the GGU's applied?

If this is possible, is there a difference in general between the personnel at one call center versus another in their ability to know how to do this?

@missydarlin
I have not run across a case where you can get money back for the lower airfare without losing your confirmed upgrades from GGUs. You can, of course, get replacement GGUs, but if you're seeing 0 U available, I wouldn't do it, as there's probably already folks on the waitlist who will snag those upgrades. Further, the lower fare you'd be clearing into is probably G R or T and not eligible for applying a GGU.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by twitch76

I can’t answer the rest of your question, but it appears as though the tickets have to have been purchased before the 31st. I think you can still apply for credit after the 31st, as long as the tickets were purchased before the 31st.
Yep, although might as well pick up any credits now and still have a pre-8/31 ticket eligible for further price guarantees vs doing it after 8/31 and not.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

@missydarlin
You can certainly ask, but there is always going to be a risk that the U space disappears while the agent is working the reservation. if it were me, I'd consider whether there were acceptable coach/Premium class seats available in case the U space wasn't able to be saved before making the decision to try.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.