Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
Just wanted to re-ask my same question now that upgrades on former VX flights are now a possibility. Anyone ex-SFO out there that can comment on upgrade chances on TCON SFO flights?
Where will your TPAC & TATL flights take you and what airlines are most efficient in getting you there? MVPG will certaily give you some benefits, most importantly waived change/cancel fees, access to Partner Lounges when traveling on their metal ( including Y fares), 4 Gold Guest Upgrade certificates (AS flights only) and 100% Elite bonus RDM.

MVPG75K brings an additional 4 GGU certificates, four lounge passes, 125% Elite Bonus RDM & a 50K redeemable mile bonus for achieving top Tier. You can also select Premium seating at no cost for you and one companion on the reservation regardless of purchased fare. Upgrades are really dependent upon how heavy Elite the routes are but overall, success on complimentary upgrades will be better with top tier status.

As an MVPG75K I usually purchase eligible fares on long-haul flights; transcons, Hawaii, Costa Rica. For shorter flights, I am happy with selecting a Premium seat and take the upgrade if it presents itself. Quite often, it does.

Elites can also upgrade to F on AS when purchasing an eligible Y fare providing upgrade space is available and MVPG+ can upgrade one companion regardless of Status.

James

I would look at the AS award charts and see if possible redemption are in tune with your goals.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:52 am

YYZ -> LIH (Hawaii)

Canadian family of 4 trying to get to Kaua'i in January. Trying to figure out the best way to make this happen with this airline.

I can't find the Toronto to Seattle route anymore. I might have to drive to Detroit, fly to Seattle or Portland, then fly to LIH. Is my understanding of the cost correct? 10k from Detroit to Seattle/Portland x2, plus $99x2 companion pass. 17.5k Seattle/Portland to Hawaii x2 + $99x2. Then the same cost for the return flight. Total $800 USD + 110k miles. Is this my best option?

e: Or is companion pass only for cash flights? I guess I need a new strategy. Maybe I should just try to get the 220k miles. 55k per person is do-able, but I don't want availability to disappear.

Last edited by I_WANT_TO_GO; Jul 19, 2018 at 7:59 am Reason: Misspoke
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by I_WANT_TO_GO
Canadian family of 4 trying to get to Kaua'i in January. Trying to figure out the best way to make this happen with this airline.

I can't find the Toronto to Seattle route anymore. I might have to drive to Detroit, fly to Seattle or Portland, then fly to LIH. Is my understanding of the cost correct? 10k from Detroit to Seattle/Portland x2, plus $99x2 companion pass. 17.5k Seattle/Portland to Hawaii x2 + $99x2. Then the same cost for the return flight. Total $800 USD + 110k miles. Is this my best option?
I am not sure that I am following what you want to do. The companion certificate is for paid itineraries, not for award travel. Hawaii is a popular destination and saver (least expensive) award space is hard to come by.

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am not sure that I am following what you want to do. The companion certificate is for paid itineraries, not for award travel. Hawaii is a popular destination and saver (least expensive) award space is hard to come by.

James
​​​​​​​I was mistaken, I thought it worked with award flights. There's enough west coast cities that fly that route so hopefully I have enough options, but yeah the cheapest award flights seem to be disappearing.

If all 4 of us get the World Elite (30k) then the Platinum Plus (25k) we'd have the 55k for our own flights. However there's still the risk that in that time all the award flights disappear before I can book. I'm not sure what my best option is, this program or otherwise.

Last edited by I_WANT_TO_GO; Jul 19, 2018 at 10:12 am Reason: Added quote
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No problem. For future, a valid routing BLI-SEA is BLI-PDX-SEA. If you took the flight with the connection, it would be 1000 EQM without any Class of service bonus.

Alternatively, I would call Customer Service and see if they would grant you Gold considering you will attain it before crossing Montana in a few weeks. It is worth a try, the least they can do is say no. If you don't ask, then it is DEFINITELY a no!

Alaska has bent over backwards for me so many times. It is what keeps me coming back. Even as an MVPG75K, I have been amazed how above and beyond they have gone for me, wildly exceeding expectations.

James
Did call in and ask if they could award me 634 or advance the EQM for the flight to get me Gold before, but no such luck.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
Did call in and ask if they could award me 634 or advance the EQM for the flight to get me Gold before, but no such luck.
No surprise there - AS would end up giving you extra miles essentially for nothing, though hard to tell how much how much if any goodwill it would generate for you toward AS.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
Well now we know! The answer was definitely NO if we didn't ask. Too bad the puddle jumps are so expensive right now. If you were in CA it would be a piece of cake. It would be nice to have Gold before you ORD Flight but also nice to know you will be getting it soon and you won't be bothered with change/cancel fees.

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Queation on Eqm and redeemable miles with SQ flights

I'm a casual AS flyer with no status.

I'm thinking about buying SQ flights AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, in fare class d. I wanted to double check with you whether I'll be qualified as an MVP after my outbound, then as an MVP gold after my inbound by the end of this year. I ve visited AS site, googled, I wasn't too sure, I hope someone here can confirm.

SQ flights in fare class d should earn 200% of miles flown. The round trip miles flown will be 28,160, so I'll earn 28,160 after completing my outbound in October, then become an mvp. In dec, I'll earn another 28,160 after completing my inbound.

In my understanding, the calculation of eqm includes class bonus, but not elite bonus, so the total eqm I'll earn this year will be 28,160x2= 56,320, and we don't add MVP bonus to calculate eqm? I don't need to fly AS to become MVP, right?

For redeemable miles, I'll earn 28,160 on my outbound in October. Hopefully I'll be qualified as an MVP soon after so I'll earn 28,160+14,080x50% MVP bonus=35,200 on my inbound. The total redeemable miles that I earn after the whole trip will be 63,360? Am I correct?
TIA!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by maverikbc
I'm a casual AS flyer with no status.

I'm thinking about buying SQ flights AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, in fare class d. I wanted to double check with you whether I'll be qualified as an MVP after my outbound, then as an MVP gold after my inbound by the end of this year. I ve visited AS site, googled, I wasn't too sure, I hope someone here can confirm.

SQ flights in fare class d should earn 200% of miles flown. The round trip miles flown will be 28,160, so I'll earn 28,160 after completing my outbound in October, then become an mvp. In dec, I'll earn another 28,160 after completing my inbound.

In my understanding, the calculation of eqm includes class bonus, but not elite bonus, so the total eqm I'll earn this year will be 28,160x2= 56,320, and we don't add MVP bonus to calculate eqm? I don't need to fly AS to become MVP, right?

For redeemable miles, I'll earn 28,160 on my outbound in October. Hopefully I'll be qualified as an MVP soon after so I'll earn 28,160+14,080x50% MVP bonus=35,200 on my inbound. The total redeemable miles that I earn after the whole trip will be 63,360? Am I correct?
TIA!
Yes, no need to fly AS. You can qualify for elite status with partner flights only.

Fare class D on SQ only earns 100% EQM. The 100% Additional bonus is RDM only, just like an elite bonus. Only F,A,Z,C,J on SQ earn Class of Service bonuses, which count towards EQM & RDM.

As far as the mileage calculation, not sure if you're doing two AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd or AMD-sin-man-iah/iah-man-sin-amd.

For AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, actual miles per Milecalc is 28210. You'll earn 28210 EQM (100% on fare class D) and 56420 RDM (100% base + 100% Additional bonus). You would be MVP after the 25000 EQM mile posted. It's possible you could get AS to give you the MVP bonus for 25K+ EQM flights, but it would likely require a manual request and may not be granted as you didn't have MVP status in the system at the time of the flight(s).

If you did an additional AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, you would earn another 28210 EQM(100% base miles) and 70525 RDM (100% base + 100% Additional bonus + 50% MVP bonus) and would be MVP Gold. Again, you may be able to get AS to give the MVPG 100% bonus for the flight(s) beyond 50K EQM miles, but no guarantees.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
If I sign up for the AL Lounge, how long does it take to activate/when will I get my card/digital card. I am flying through JFK (AA) this weekend, would I be able to access it by then or does it take some amount of business days?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Mileage Plan members are eligible to earn miles on Singapore Airlines flights flown on or after September 27, 2017. Base miles earned and class of service bonuses on Singapore Airlines count toward Alaska Airlines elite status.
Business - Class of Service U or D, Base miles earned = 100%, Class of Service Bonus = 0%, Additional Bonus = 100%
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range and be marketed and operated by Singapore Airlines: 001-0699, and 0800-0999 To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (SQ) must precede the flight number (for example, SQ XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass. Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.

​​​​​​​To earn MVP status using only SQ you will need 25,000 miles for MVP, 50,000 for MVPG, and 90,000 for MVPG75k

I also note that on the Mileage Plan Elite member benefits page it says that members granted complimentary status, including status match from another program are not eligible for these bonus miles (the 50% for MVP, 100% for Gold, and 125% for MVPG75k). If you are getting the bonus above the actual miles for status by using partner airlines that is a very good deal!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by safari ari
If I sign up for the AL Lounge, how long does it take to activate/when will I get my card/digital card. I am flying through JFK (AA) this weekend, would I be able to access it by then or does it take some amount of business days?
If I recall correctly you get a temporary card you can print up and use immediately. Now that it is also available on your smart phone I would think it would be immediate. It would be found in the My Account tab on the app, and is just below the mileage plan card. You could also check either by email or phone with the Lounge about how soon: [email protected]
1-800-654-5669
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
If I recall correctly you get a temporary card you can print up and use immediately.
Good to know, also if I purchase it with my AS cc does it come in a 3x points? I assume since the website wording is:
  • Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent directly on Alaska Airlines purchases.
Which I assume in this case is an AS purchase.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
(MVPG here) Are you able to remove/cancel one person from a reservation with two people without having to cancel the entire reservation and rebook the remaining person back on the same flight? Currently on a reservation SFO-DAL with my wife and I might need to take a flight a day or two later. Am I able to cancel myself for wallet credit and leave the rest of the reservation intact? We scored a really good deal and that same flight is a decent bit more expensive now, so ideally would like to not have to rebook her at the higher current price.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
(MVPG here) Are you able to remove/cancel one person from a reservation with two people without having to cancel the entire reservation and rebook the remaining person back on the same flight? Currently on a reservation SFO-DAL with my wife and I might need to take a flight a day or two later. Am I able to cancel myself for wallet credit and leave the rest of the reservation intact? We scored a really good deal and that same flight is a decent bit more expensive now, so ideally would like to not have to rebook her at the higher current price.

Split the reservation PNR and cancel your segment.
brosnan6 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.