Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by l3veraged
Thanks. The terms say that 20k EQM will be added directly to the account, and the marketing materials even tout "halfway to Gold", so I think I'm in the clear. Will double-check with my company.
I used a similar offer through my company and then added on my own flying to become MVPGold, with full gold benefits, so 75k should be possible also. Lots of companies in seattle give the same offer at various times - starbucks, amazon etc.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I just status-matched to MVP (it was approved, and shows up in my profile.) I have four existing trips... should I do anything to ensure that the status refreshes on those trips?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by twitch76
I just status-matched to MVP (it was approved, and shows up in my profile.) I have four existing trips... should I do anything to ensure that the status refreshes on those trips?
Congrats ^

As long as your AS # is on the reservation you should be all set.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Congrats ^

As long as your AS # is on the reservation you should be all set.
How long until your flights? It may take a few days for your new status to propagate through existing reservations. If an Agent manually removes and adds your Mileage Plan number to an existing reservation should for the status update if your flight is close in.

James
twitch76 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thanks, all. It did take a couple of days to propagate, but I looked this morning and was able to reassign some of my upcoming seats into elite seats. I fly on Saturday, so we’ll see if the luggage perk goes through without problem.

Two additional questions:

1) Am I correct that the 50% bonus miles that I will earn are not also Elite Qualifying Miles?

2) I’m used to Southwest where I book every trip as single person one-way tickets. Is there any reason to do that on Alaska, or am I better served to book both of us on a single round-trip itinerary?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks, all. It did take a couple of days to propagate, but I looked this morning and was able to reassign some of my upcoming seats into elite seats. I fly on Saturday, so we’ll see if the luggage perk goes through without problem.

1) Am I correct that the 50% bonus miles that I will earn are not also Elite Qualifying Miles?

2) I’m used to Southwest where I book every trip as single person one-way tickets. Is there any reason to do that on Alaska, or am I better served to book both of us on a single round-trip itinerary?
1) Correct, no extra EQMs

2) Just booked a r/t as two one ways, just like I always do on all routes that do not have a one way penalty like longhaul overwater trips. I just find it more flexible. Of course if you want to change both, you end up with two change fees, but IF there was need in the past for me, it was just one of flights where the flexibility was better IMHO.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:46 pm

1) Bonus Elite Tier Miles are NOT EQM, just additional RDM.

2) If you are on separate PNR's there is a possibility you could be upgraded to First and your non-status companion will never be upgraded. As a companion on your PNR it appears of late that each party will be on the upgrade list and both being upgraded is a possibility. Of course as an MVP you cannot upgrade a companion with an eligible fare like you can with MVPG+ but complimentary upgrades are still possible. The odds of getting upgraded as a single MVP on a PNR would be higher than both getting upgraded together. What do you value more?

James
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Upside of booking your companion(s) separately is that as an MVP, you won't be upgraded to Premium or First Class with a companion(*), and unless you get an agent willing to bend the rules, won't have access to non-Premium elite seats until OLCI.

Upside of booking your companion(s) with you is they will have the same elite baggage allowance, & can be seated in non-Premium elite seats, and will be handled together automatically in the event of IRROPs. You can use the link reservations on the website but this just places a note on the reservation more or less and doesn't actually merge the two together.

You can always split the reservation after booking, but your time of First Class upgrade request would be at that point. I've also had an agent say the computer wouldn't let her leave my non-elite companion in an Elite seat after splitting.

The other advantage to purchasing a trip as a single RT, other than what EmailKid mentioned is if something happened to the other flight(s) such a travel waiver or IRROPs, it would be easier to cancel the whole thing vs two separate one-ways if only one leg was affected.

(*there have been multiple exceptions to this reported in other threads, but it appears to be route/load dependent and is totally at Alaska's discretion)
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:00 pm

I realize other couples are different, but the possibility of one of us being upgraded and not the other would be a drawback, not a benefit...

(I was able to put both of us in elite (non-premium) seats on our upcoming SAN-BOS trip. It’s a 737-900, and we scored exit rows on both legs. We’re still a month out, long before OLCI. Is that a bug?)

I think I’ll probably book single itineraries.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:19 pm

I realize other couples are different, but the possibility of one of us being upgraded and not the other would be a drawback, not a benefit...

(I was able to put both of us in elite (non-premium) seats on our upcoming SAN-BOS trip. It’s a 737-900, and we scored exit rows on both legs. We’re still a month out, long before OLCI. Is that a bug?)

I think I’ll probably book single itineraries.
Just in case you aren't aware, Row 16 does not recline, row 17 does. Half way to Gold. Certainly something worth attaining given your start line was moved up and your SAN-BOS return flight will bring you 25% closer to Gold

SAN-BOS-SAN 5162 EQM & RDM + MVP 50% BONUS 2581 RDM.

EQM 5162, RDM 5162 + 2581 = 7743

James
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just in case you aren't aware, Row 16 does not recline, row 17 does. Half way to Gold. Certainly something worth attaining given your start line was moved up and your SAN-BOS return flight will bring you 25% closer to Gold

SAN-BOS-SAN 5162 EQM & RDM + MVP 50% BONUS 2581 RDM.

EQM 5162, RDM 5162 + 2581 = 7743

James
Thanks for the reminders on the reclining. I had guessed as much, and put us in row 17. I don’t typically recline, but am happy to have a non-reclining seat in front of me.

i assumed I had to hit 20k by the end of the year to keep MVP for 2019. Gold seems out of my reach, no?

Right now, I have one-way SAN-DAL, a RT SAN-BOS, and a RT SAN-SEA. We’re hoping to pull off a Hawai’i fRT before the end of the year, but the stars have to align just right.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reminders on the reclining. I had guessed as much, and put us in row 17. I don’t typically recline, but am happy to have a non-reclining seat in front of me.

i assumed I had to hit 20k by the end of the year to keep MVP for 2019. Gold seems out of my reach, no?

Right now, I have one-way SAN-DAL, a RT SAN-BOS, and a RT SAN-SEA. We’re hoping to pull off a Hawai’i fRT before the end of the year, but the stars have to align just right.
How were you matched to MVP? I might have confused you with another poster who was granted MVP Status through a work related promotion which also included the 20K EQM.

When you look at your account details it shows you how many EQM/Segments are required to attain the next Elite Tier.

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How were you matched to MVP? I might have confused you with another poster who was granted MVP Status through a work related promotion which also included the 20K EQM.

When you look at your account details it shows you how many EQM/Segments are required to attain the next Elite Tier.

James
Ah... yes. You’re thinking of l3veraged.

I was status-matched from Southwest.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by prometa
Apologies if this question has already been asked in the thread.

What's life like as a MVP/MVPG/MVP75K based out of SFO? I'm an SFO --> DC flyer (DCA, BWI and IAD are all options) and have been a UA flyer for a few years but may be looking to switch airlines. UA ex SFO is an upgrade waitlist 70 people deep on many flights, including all of them to the DC area -- is the same true for AS (or may be true for AS once the VX merger is more complete?) If I switched to AS based on current flight numbers, I could status match to MVP and would qualify as MVPG by the end of the year.

In the last 24 months, all of my travel has been TCON domestic, but there's a high likelihood I'll be taking an additional 10 RT TATL/TPAC flights per year in each of the next two years (to a variety of destinations). Will be forced to buy intl Y. If I credit to AS I could get to MVP75K, or if I fly UA I'd be UA 1K and star alliance gold, plus on UA I'd get 6 GPUs so could grab some upgrades. But, if I am significantly more likely to fly in F for a Y-ish fare on AS when traveling domestic, AS would be worth it because my GPU chances would be slim, and even as a 1K on UA my domestic upgrades would be probably 33% of the time or less.
Just wanted to re-ask my same question now that upgrades on former VX flights are now a possibility. Anyone ex-SFO out there that can comment on upgrade chances on TCON SFO flights?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by prometa
Just wanted to re-ask my same question now that upgrades on former VX flights are now a possibility. Anyone ex-SFO out there that can comment on upgrade chances on TCON SFO flights?
This is really dependent on day, flight, time of year, etc. Its not just a simple 42% answer.

Thread from LAX for cash upgrade, I know its not exactly SFO but I would say somewhere in between since LAX and SFO are not SEA/PDX, and since LAX/SFO have a lot of competition and better products on other airlines.

cash upgrade JFKLAX, any strategy?

Last edited by safari ari; Jul 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.