Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:51 pm

My friend is vegan, and will be flying JFK - SEA on alaska first class, morning flight (7am departure).
Does alaska have vegan breakfast options on this route? Or, some option that can be made vegan by e.g. removing the egg or something? Is this something to be requested beforehand.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
My friend is vegan, and will be flying JFK - SEA on alaska first class, morning flight (7am departure).
Does alaska have vegan breakfast options on this route? Or, some option that can be made vegan by e.g. removing the egg or something? Is this something to be requested beforehand.
Is your friend flying in coach? I believe the Mediterranean tapas picnic pack is vegan

edit: totally missed the part about first class. Worst case, if nothing available that works on the first menu, could still ask for the picnic pack from the back
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
How do I see the upgrade list on the website? I can see it on my phone app, but I haven't yet figured out how to do so when in my account on the website.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
How do I see the upgrade list on the website? I can see it on my phone app, but I haven't yet figured out how to do so when in my account on the website.
Flight status page does. One doesn't need to be logged into view it

https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstatus/
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Flight status page does. One doesn't need to be logged into view it

https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstatus/
It DOES need to be within 24 hrs of departure in order for you to see the waitlist, though.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you both. I had assumed it was somehow linked to looking at my account.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you both. I had assumed it was somehow linked to looking at my account.
The nice thing about viewing on the web is that you do not have to check in to see the list, and you can also see how long wait lists are for a particular flight to better judge your odds when booking that flight in the future
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:17 pm

Does Alaska no longer sell 10k miles when you book a flight on their site?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by caburrito
Does Alaska no longer sell 10k miles when you book a flight on their site?
Nothing official from AS as far as I know, but it's been noticed missing by at least two people.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
MVP Gold 75k -> 125% Elite Bonus Miles Earning on KE?

Flying KE in "T" class which earns 50% AS miles. As a MVP Gold 75k do I earn 125% Elite Bonus Miles?

I think the answer to my question is no - I was always under the impression that the elite bonus miles were for flights on AS - but this article about earning the 125% bonus miles on BA flights has made me wonder. I've googled for 20 minutes and found nothing...

Are there any other benefits flying on KE with my AS status? (Priority check-in, boarding, etc?) These all seem to be for SkyTeam elite members - just wondering if there's a crossover for AS elites.

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LASNRT
Flying KE in "T" class which earns 50% AS miles. As a MVP Gold 75k do I earn 125% Elite Bonus Miles?

I think the answer to my question is no - I was always under the impression that the elite bonus miles were for flights on AS - but this article about earning the 125% bonus miles on BA flights has made me wonder. I've googled for 20 minutes and found nothing...

Are there any other benefits flying on KE with my AS status? (Priority check-in, boarding, etc?) These all seem to be for SkyTeam elite members - just wondering if there's a crossover for AS elites.

Thank you!
No elite benefits on KE--AA and DL were the only ones, at least in recent years, who offered any reciprocal elite benefits other than lounge access. Your 75K bonus still applies on other carriers, but it's calculated from the 50% base mileage for that fare bucket, not distance flown.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jinglish
No elite benefits on KE--AA and DL were the only ones, at least in recent years, who offered any reciprocal elite benefits other than lounge access. Your 75K bonus still applies on other carriers, but it's calculated from the 50% base mileage for that fare bucket, not distance flown.
Thank you Jinglish!

So my LAS-ICN-NRT flight, at 50%, would get me 3,376 miles in T, plus 4,220 miles with my 125% bonus? (I'm using the Webflyer calculator - I realize the numbers may be a little off).

That's wonderful, thank you again for the information!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LASNRT
Thank you Jinglish!

So my LAS-ICN-NRT flight, at 50%, would get me 3,376 miles in T, plus 4,220 miles with my 125% bonus? (I'm using the Webflyer calculator - I realize the numbers may be a little off).

That's wonderful, thank you again for the information!
Actually a tiny bit more unless that calculator is taking AS earning rules into account. ICN-NRT is below 1k miles, but you'll get the 500 minimum base miles. But in that general ballpark, yeah.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
You will earn the following as two segments:
LAS-ICN (actual great circle distance: 6021) 3011 mi + 3764 elite bonus miles
ICN-NRT (gc distance: 783) 392 mi + 108 (to bring base to 500 mi minimum) + 625 elite bonus miles

So you will earn the total:
Redeemable (RDM): 7900
Elite-qualifying (EQM): 3511
(+/- 10 mi)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Expedia

This is probably a stupid question.... but I guess it’s OK to ask those in this thread.

Can you earn AS Miles and Expedia+ Rewards dollars at the same time? I.e., if I book as AS flight on Expedia, will I earn miles and E+ points?

If so, I assume that I would not also earn the Alaska Credit Card bonus miles. Am I right?

If so, is the credit card bonus a better value, or the E+ points?

lastly, are there other drawbacks to consider if booking at Expedia instead of at AlaskaAir?

thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.