Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:02 am

travel wallet question

If you cancel a ticket purchase with funds in your travel wallet ( from a cancelled paid revenue ticket, are you allowed to cancel that ticket without penalty and put the funds back into your travel wallet.
or simply put , is it treated the same way as the original ticket ?

I'm less interested in gaming system to extend , but it is a far out good faith speculative booking for a trip that I would like to take , but I just want to confirm that my travel wallet is not hindered by prejudiced by this and that I am none for the worst.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by writetorich
If you cancel a ticket purchase with funds in your travel wallet ( from a cancelled paid revenue ticket, are you allowed to cancel that ticket without penalty and put the funds back into your travel wallet.

I'm less interested in gaming system to extend , but it is a far out good faith speculative booking for a trip that I would like to take , but I just want to confirm that my travel wallet is not hindered by prejudiced by this and that I am none for the worst.
You will pay a change/cancellation fee unless you are MVP Gold or 75K.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:36 am

which fare bucket

When booing on line ( not with an agent) is there an easier to know which fare bucket you are booking besides going to cart clicking on fare rules and entering the captcha
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:39 am

sorry I should have clarified that I am MVP Gold

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
You will pay a change/cancellation fee unless you are MVP Gold or 75K.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Yes, I've done that. I canceled a trip to rebook using a discount code, then ended up misconnecting so canceled the second ticket purchased entirely with MyWallet funds. Both times it went to My Wallet without issue. I don't recall if the expiration date was backdated to the original deposit or not. I ended up using it within a couple months anyhow.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I've got a question on partner earnings:

I've got a BA flight from LHR to CDG, booked at a discount fare N class. Per Alaska, that earns 50% of miles flown.

Since the flight is less than 500 miles... I am wondering if the "500 mile minimum" is subject to the 50% earning rate?
Should I expect 500 miles from that flight? Or 250?

Doesn't make a huge difference, but I like to track all my projected miles earnings as I target 50k on AS & partners each year
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
I've got a question on partner earnings:

I've got a BA flight from LHR to CDG, booked at a discount fare N class. Per Alaska, that earns 50% of miles flown.

Since the flight is less than 500 miles... I am wondering if the "500 mile minimum" is subject to the 50% earning rate?

Doesn't make a huge difference, but I like to track all my projected miles earnings as I target 50k on AS & partners each year
You'll earn the minimum 500 miles for all eligible segments.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nearlysober

As be_rettSEA mentioned you will get the 500 mile minimum as EQM but will also get your 100% RDM bonus as MVPG. So 500 EQM & 1000 RDM.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
When booing on line ( not with an agent) is there an easier to know which fare bucket you are booking besides going to cart clicking on fare rules and entering the captcha
no captcha required.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
So next question, where is that elusive blue U ?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
You are looking for the elusive White F on a Blue Background. Please see the attached example. Here we are looking for an immediate eligible upgrade fare if we have a Gold Guest Upgrade certificate to apply. The first class eligible upgrade fare is $199. If you select this fare and complete the purchase you will be given the opportunity to apply the GGU and will then be immediately upgraded into F. In this example we can see that there is upgrade space available for the first and third flight of the day while flight 1152 does not have U space available. Interestingly, flight 1154 at 8:50 am SEA-LAX is an Airbus VX plane (Flight number is four digits starting with "1") so your immediate upgrade will be to a 55" pitch white recliner if interior Airbus upgrades have not been completed. Since the PUW-SEA flight is Q400 there is no upgrade option. Upgrading with a GGU will be your cheapest immediate upgrade option. You can also select upgrades based on your Status without using a GGU but the upgradeable fare will increase based on your status. Remember that MVP can immediately upgrade Y & S fares, MVPG Y, S, B & M fares and MVPG75K Y, S, B, M & H fares. I have left out the Refundable Main Cabin Award Z class which can also be upgraded with additional Mileage Plan Miles.

If there are two or more U seats available MVPG & MVPG75K can also upgrade a second traveler on the same reservation regardless of Status by purchasing the upgradeable fare or applying a GGU for each traveler.

Additionally, if you are MVPG or MVPG75K with an Alaska Airlines MasterCard/Visa Companion Certificate you can apply that Certificate to the a reservation that is also upgraded by purchasing the upgradeable fare for your Status or applying GGU's.

One more point; if there is one ore more connections between your origin and destination that are <= 4hrs you will be upgraded on all segments in the case of purchasing the upgradeable fare or 1 GGU per travelers if applying a GGU.

James

EmailKid and rustykettel like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You are looking for the elusive White F on a Blue Background. Please see the attached example. Here we are looking for an immediate eligible upgrade fare if we have a Gold Guest Upgrade certificate to apply. The first class eligible upgrade fare is $199. If you select this fare and complete the purchase you will be given the opportunity to apply the GGU and will then be immediately upgraded into F. In this example we can see that there is upgrade space available for the first and third flight of the day while flight 1152 does not have U space available. Interestingly, flight 1154 at 8:50 am SEA-LAX is an Airbus VX plane (Flight number is four digits starting with "1") so your immediate upgrade will be to a 55" pitch white recliner if interior Airbus upgrades have not been completed. Since the PUW-SEA flight is Q400 there is no upgrade option. Upgrading with a GGU will be your cheapest immediate upgrade option. You can also select upgrades based on your Status without using a GGU but the upgradeable fare will increase based on your status. Remember that MVP can immediately upgrade Y & S fares, MVPG Y, S, B & M fares and MVPG75K Y, S, B, M & H fares. I have left out the Refundable Main Cabin Award Z class which can also be upgraded with additional Mileage Plan Miles.
If there are two or more U seats available MVPG & MVPG75K can also upgrade a second traveler on the same reservation regardless of Status by purchasing the upgradeable fare or applying a GGU for each traveler.
Additionally, if you are MVPG or MVPG75K with an Alaska Airlines MasterCard/Visa Companion Certificate you can apply that Certificate to the a reservation that is also upgraded by purchasing the upgradeable fare for your Status or applying GGU's.
One more point; if there is one ore more connections between your origin and destination that are <= 4hrs you will be upgraded on all segments in the case of purchasing the upgradeable fare or 1 GGU per travelers if applying a GGU.

James
Thanks, very useful ^
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Have a quick question. I've recently flown quite a bit in the span of two weeks, enough for me to qualify as MVP and MVP Gold.

As the flights have started crediting, I have just hit MVP status a couple days ago. However, further flights which have credited after that point don't seem to have the elite 50% bonus.

I'm guessing that's because the system seems me as having hit MVP a couple days ago whereas the flights were taken between one and two weeks ago. Is this the way it should be? I would've thought half of the flights that credited after I hit MVP would be eligible for the bonus.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by wuileng
Have a quick question. I've recently flown quite a bit in the span of two weeks, enough for me to qualify as MVP and MVP Gold.

As the flights have started crediting, I have just hit MVP status a couple days ago. However, further flights which have credited after that point don't seem to have the elite 50% bonus.

I'm guessing that's because the system seems me as having hit MVP a couple days ago whereas the flights were taken between one and two weeks ago. Is this the way it should be? I would've thought half of the flights that credited after I hit MVP would be eligible for the bonus.
Flights you took after you qualified (by travel date, not necessarily updated in AS system) should be getting the bonus. If you're not seeing it, shoot a message to AS and ask that they credit you missing miles based on your status.. I'm sure the close travel dates and time it takes flights to credit just confused the system a bit.
jinglish and wuileng like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Flights you took after you qualified (by travel date, not necessarily updated in AS system) should be getting the bonus. If you're not seeing it, shoot a message to AS and ask that they credit you missing miles based on your status.. I'm sure the close travel dates and time it takes flights to credit just confused the system a bit.
And it seems to take a few days for propagate through all of AS's backend systems even after showing up in one. I was in a similar boat when I flew a few days after the flight that initially got me to MVP, so I just called AS and got my bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.