Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by n338
Hi,

Alaska's language on their website is vague, so was hoping to get some clarification. Planning to fly from SEA to IAH on Alaska, then IAH to MLU on United. If I found an accommodating agent, would it be possible to through check my bag? Flight would arrive IAH at 5:02am and second UA flight would leave at 09:50am, so I'm not concerned about timing, more the bag fees...

Thanks!
Assuming this information is not out to date, then you should be fine.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23705071-post35.html
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by n338
Hi,

Alaska's language on their website is vague, so was hoping to get some clarification. Planning to fly from SEA to IAH on Alaska, then IAH to MLU on United. If I found an accommodating agent, would it be possible to through check my bag? Flight would arrive IAH at 5:02am and second UA flight would leave at 09:50am, so I'm not concerned about timing, more the bag fees...

Thanks!
AS checkin agents are very good about interlining baggage on separate reservations. AS and UA have a baggage interline agreement, so it shouldn't be any trouble. Only risk would be an agent that doesn't know how to put the info into the computer.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Would you give up exit row for PC on daytime transcons?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Would you give up exit row for PC on daytime transcons?
If you're tall enough that the extra bit of legroom matters in the exit row, no. If not, the free booze is nice.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I was looking for some more clarification on companion upgrade for 75K. We took a round trip flight a few days back LAX-SEA and my upgrade success on this route has been 100% in the last 18 months. This time, I was traveling with my wife and we bought the ticket using the Visa $100 discount.

While we were both waitlisted and I was #2 on the upgrade list for my trip to SEA and #1 for the trip back, we did not get upgraded to first. Both flights, at least four seats were available 24 hours before departure (and I am pretty sure a few 75Ks were upgraded five days before) but we never made it. So, how does the upgrade work when traveling with someone on the same reservation?

Any thoughts @missydarlin or others?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
I was looking for some more clarification on companion upgrade for 75K. We took a round trip flight a few days back LAX-SEA and my upgrade success on this route has been 100% in the last 18 months. This time, I was traveling with my wife and we bought the ticket using the Visa $100 discount.

While we were both waitlisted and I was #2 on the upgrade list for my trip to SEA and #1 for the trip back, we did not get upgraded to first. Both flights, at least four seats were available 24 hours before departure (and I am pretty sure a few 75Ks were upgraded five days before) but we never made it. So, how does the upgrade work when traveling with someone on the same reservation?

Any thoughts @missydarlin or others?
Were you watching U space and not just F? Because the elite and companion have to be upgraded together, if U is only released one at a time, a pair at the top of the list is going to get skipped for the first companionless person on the upgrade list. If that's not what's happening, you're not the only person having companion upgrade problems.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:53 pm

If I have a mixed itinerary, on Eva and Alaska, can I credit the Eva portion to United (by putting in their number) and then afterwards requesting credit from Alaska?
Because I see the itinerary on Alaska, but I presume if I put on an Alaska number there it will affect the whole reservation (and will knock out the United number).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jinglish
Were you watching U space and not just F? Because the elite and companion have to be upgraded together, if U is only released one at a time, a pair at the top of the list is going to get skipped for the first companionless person on the upgrade list. If that's not what's happening, you're not the only person having companion upgrade problems.
Thanks! I was watching the F space and not U and the reason is that they had four seats available a few hours before. So, as you said they were probably releasing the space one at a time. I have traveled with a companion before on this as well as the LAX-PDX route and this was the first time that we did not get upgraded to and from SEA. They seem to have changed the way they release awards, which would favor single traveler vs. companion.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If I have a mixed itinerary, on Eva and Alaska, can I credit the Eva portion to United (by putting in their number) and then afterwards requesting credit from Alaska?
Because I see the itinerary on Alaska, but I presume if I put on an Alaska number there it will affect the whole reservation (and will knock out the United number).
If you put UA number in you will have no problem sending a manual request to AS for the AS leg, just be sure to keep the boarding pass or a picture of it. Also keep copy of the eticket receipt. It might be possible to cal EVA and see if they can put the UA number on that one leg then call AS to do the same. First option is less effort.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
If you put UA number in you will have no problem sending a manual request to AS for the AS leg, just be sure to keep the boarding pass or a picture of it. Also keep copy of the eticket receipt. It might be possible to cal EVA and see if they can put the UA number on that one leg then call AS to do the same. First option is less effort.
I've never heard that you can do one leg different than the others. Seems too complicated to ask Eva to do that. I'll just wait til after.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Sorry if this isn't the right area to ask, but I've searched the forums quite a bit and haven't found anything.. How does one get access to the Coupon Connection?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Sorry if this isn't the right area to ask, but I've searched the forums quite a bit and haven't found anything.. How does one get access to the Coupon Connection?
You need to have been an active member on FlyerTalk for 180 days and made 180 constructive posts (i.e. no post padding).

More info in the wiki here: The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)

From the wiki: The Coupon Connection access is not a right; it is a it is a privilege that is granted for active participation and contribution to FlyerTalk, and at least 180 days of membership and 180 contributive posts. A person's "post count" is just one index of his or her experience on and commitment to FlyerTalk.)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
You need to have been an active member on FlyerTalk for 180 days and made 180 constructive posts (i.e. no post padding).

More info in the wiki here: The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)

From the wiki: The Coupon Connection access is not a right; it is a it is a privilege that is granted for active participation and contribution to FlyerTalk, and at least 180 days of membership and 180 contributive posts. A person's "post count" is just one index of his or her experience on and commitment to FlyerTalk.)
Got it - thank you. I guess I still have a ways to go until I reach the posting minimum. Appreciate the quick response!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Hello, first timer here.
If this is the wrong place, apologies...
I'm wondering what the best cc/spending strategy for accumulating AS miles is in 2018?
I've already got the visa and the sign-up bonus from that, and I have used it for AS fares as well. I understand that SPG preferred *has* been a good route due to the starpoint transfer ability, but I'm unclear how the marriott merger impacts that? If you wanted to do something *today* with the goal of earning miles via spend, what would be the best approach?
Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Hello, first timer here.
If this is the wrong place, apologies...
I'm wondering what the best cc/spending strategy for accumulating AS miles is in 2018?
I've already got the visa and the sign-up bonus from that, and I have used it for AS fares as well. I understand that SPG preferred *has* been a good route due to the starpoint transfer ability, but I'm unclear how the marriott merger impacts that? If you wanted to do something *today* with the goal of earning miles via spend, what would be the best approach?
Thanks
you can get a second card and potentially a second sign up bonus, but be wary of accumulating a huge pile of miles without doing a bit of AS flying as well. there have been many reports of people here getting their AS mileage accounts frozen for "mileage-broker-like behavior" by compiling all their miles by cc's and buying miles and not doing any flying.
mildfrequence likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.