Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old May 13, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
1) not sure since I signed up before there was a minimum spend
2) see #1 but I assume after the statement cuts when the 1K spend is met

Miles and initial companion code will both post following the statement close as answer for #2 .

3) the sign up bonus does not count towards elite status
Had a very enthusiastic VX FA one flight last fall hawking the credit card by telling pax that they would be close to MVPG with it. Unfortunately I already had the card so had to requal the BIS way.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Gold is always 4 flights away: SFO/LAX-DXB-AKL r/t in EK F!
Old May 13, 2018, 10:41 am

Thank you for the replies. I tried to quote and ask more questions but I guess I don't have that privilege yet?

So am I better off saving and building on the 30k miles for a family trip next year?
Old May 13, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Pretty sure the answer is going to be no, BUT

I have a trip with 3 different PNR

AS MSY-SFO (F)
SQ SFO-HKG (F)
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK (F)

Any chance the check in at MSY will let me through check to BKK? I expect my bag will be overweight for AS and have to pay $75 but I will not be anywhere near my weight allowance for the rest of the journey on SQ
Old May 13, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jinrop
Pretty sure the answer is going to be no, BUT

I have a trip with 3 different PNR

AS MSY-SFO (F)
SQ SFO-HKG (F)
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK (F)

Any chance the check in at MSY will let me through check to BKK? I expect my bag will be overweight for AS and have to pay $75 but I will not be anywhere near my weight allowance for the rest of the journey on SQ
An AS agent at PDX once checked my bag through to my separately-ticketed QF LAX-MEL flight without even blinking, but I don't know if you'll get quite the same service at a small outstation.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Can I upgrade a paid domestic ticket from Y to J using miles? If so, how many miles for an SFO-DCA ticket upgrade?
Can this be done (with both tickets) on the promo companion ticket for $99 (through Alaska Visa card)?
TIA

Last edited by Paulchili; May 13, 2018 at 11:12 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Can I upgrade a paid domestic ticket from Y to J using miles? If so, how many miles for an SFO-DCA ticket upgrade?
Can this be done (with both tickets) on the promo companion ticket for $99 (through Alaska Visa card)?
TIA
​​​​​​
when you search for flights select miles from upgrade option to get a fare that is eligible (usually its close to full flex fare) Look for the blue box with an F to see if space is available for upgrade. 2 people on an 8 seat former vx plane is probably not likely. Upgrade space may never show up. It's 15k points per person each way.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/use-miles/first-class-upgrades
Old May 14, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
TIA
​​​​​​
when you search for flights select miles from upgrade option to get a fare that is eligible (usually its close to full flex fare) Look for the blue box with an F to see if space is available for upgrade. 2 people on an 8 seat former vx plane is probably not likely. Upgrade space may never show up. It's 15k points per person each way.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...class-upgrades
And yes, it can be done on a companion fare ticket. But as CDKing said, there must be 2 U spaces available and both pax must be upgraded at the same time.

Not only is it unlikely that 2 x U will appear on that aircraft type, but also the cost of upfaring from presumably the lowest coach fare that you purchased to a Y, S, B, M, or H fare (the classes eligible for miles upgrade) will probably be quite high. You might get an offer to buy up to F at check in, but now that complimentary upgrades for elites are possible, even that is much less likely than in the past.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:17 am

Thank you both for your good explanations.
Sounds like if I want to fly F, I will just have to pay for it
Old May 14, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both for your good explanations.
Sounds like if I want to fly F, I will just have to pay for it
Or get a time machine and go back to when you could buy F tickets using the companion cert
Old May 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Or get a time machine and go back to when you could buy F tickets using the companion cert
I like that idea
BTW, I must say that this board seems the most friendly of the many boards I have visited over the years and also most prompt in helpfully replying to my inquiries - THANK YOU.
I think I will like my move from AA to AS.
DrAlex likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I like that idea
BTW, I must say that this board seems the most friendly of the many boards I have visited over the years and also most prompt in helpfully replying to my inquiries - THANK YOU.
I think I will like my move from AA to AS.
We kind of pride ourselves on that here on the AS forum. We are a friendly, helpful bunch.
beckoa and rustykettel like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
No, you can't buy F tickets but it doesn't mean you both can't sit up front on a companion certificate.

James
Old May 16, 2018, 7:32 am

Paid First Class Upgrade Change in Policy?

I've taken advantage of the cheap paid last minute upgrade option in the past, and was in for a surprise this morning. Nothing like a $100 upgrade - when available - on a transcon.

I went to check in and upgrade on a BWI-SAN flight, and expected to find the $100 upgrade fee. Instead, half a dozen seats were available, but the fee was something like $215.

Is this something new, and have the three tier paid upgrade fees - based on distance - gone away?

Also, there had been a $59 charge to upgrade to premium class on this flight until today. Now that fee has gone up to $99.

Is there some change in policy?
Old May 16, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I've taken advantage of the cheap paid last minute upgrade option in the past, and was in for a surprise this morning. Nothing like a $100 upgrade - when available - on a transcon.

I went to check in and upgrade on a BWI-SAN flight, and expected to find the $100 upgrade fee. Instead, half a dozen seats were available, but the fee was something like $215.

Is this something new, and have the three tier paid upgrade fees - based on distance - gone away?

Also, there had been a $59 charge to upgrade to premium class on this flight until today. Now that fee has gone up to $99.

Is there some change in policy?
I don't know how you have been getting $100 F upgrades on transcon. it's $199 for 2100+ miles maybe they are adding some tax? If premium has changed pricing i don't know because they only publish the starting amount. It makes sense not to charge same as a short flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.