Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Companion Certificate Question: If I use an expiring companion cert on a future flight, but then have to change the flight down the road, I'd still be able to travel with the companion for $99++ until 12 months after original purchase, right?

ex: Cert expiring 5/1/18>book a trip for 10/1/18>need to change trip to 12/1/18 or beyond --- I'd still be able to travel with a companion, but I'd have to keep it in an active reservation and would have until 5/1/19 to complete a trip? Sound right?

TIA
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CDKing
It should earn at least 100%
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Has anyone had any actual experience with this? During 2017, AA codeshare AS operated flights credited according to the AA chart and potentially received less than 100% based on the AA fare class.
Is this documented anywhere though? I've tentatively put in my AS FF# for now.

Bizarrely, I can view the trip details on virtuallythere via what appears to be an AA confirmation code, yet AA's own systems don't seem to be able to pull up the flight details. The new tripcase interface doesn't appear to show eTicket numbers either -- I have no idea if this actually ticketed (blasted corporate travel systems).
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Booking Choices for upgrade

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:40 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cyborg
When booking online without F availability and seeing a choice between using a gold guest upgrade or complimentary upgrade, what is the preferred choice? I'm not familiar with the nuances of Alaska in this regard. This is for a transcon IAD-SFO/LAX where I can at least secure a premium seat (was MCS on VX), so not so concerned about the upgrade, but still would like to maximize chances.
V/r,
-Cyborg
Do you plan on attaching a gold guest upgrade coupon code to the reservation? If not choose complimentary upgrade. If you wait to select complimentary you will be lower on the upgrade list later. You can always change your mind later and call in to apply gold upgrade coupon should U space open up
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:59 pm
jjz

Programs: MVPG
What does an international R fare on AA credit to Alaska as? The Alaska website says 'based on original booking class'.

This is a business class fare priced on orbitz with MAA-HKG on CX and HKG-LAX on AA
American Airlines 8946 operated by Cathay Pacific Business (R)
American Airlines 192 Business (R)

Alaska's Cathay page shows R as being Premium Economy. I'm a little confused on what the EQM/RDM earnings will be for these legs.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjz
What does an international R fare on AA credit to Alaska as? The Alaska website says 'based on original booking class'.

This is a business class fare priced on orbitz with MAA-HKG on CX and HKG-LAX on AA
American Airlines 8946 operated by Cathay Pacific Business (R)
American Airlines 192 Business (R)

Alaska's Cathay page shows R as being Premium Economy. I'm a little confused on what the EQM/RDM earnings will be for these legs.
Technically must be CX coded to earn points. You will usually get credit by emailing in copy of boarding pass and copy of eticket receipt. Try pulling up the CX portion on the CX site to possibly see what fare class its mapped, likely the lowest business. Its an AA fare basis an not a CX fare so that is why R shows as Y+. different airlines use different letter codes for the same cabin.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:35 pm
jjz

Programs: MVPG
Technically must be CX coded to earn points. You will usually get credit by emailing in copy of boarding pass and copy of eticket receipt. Try pulling up the CX portion on the CX site to possibly see what fare class its mapped, likely the lowest business. Its an AA fare basis an not a CX fare so that is why R shows as Y+. different airlines use different letter codes for the same cabin.
Thanks, CDKing. I guess I'm more concerned about the longer HKG-LAX leg which is on AA. Would it earn 100% (+50% CoS), which is what the lowest business fares would earn, or does R mean something lower?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: HH Silver
Stupid question probably, but here goes, lol.

I am MVP, partner is not. I booked my flight and his separately to use up different certificates. I linked our reservations. I was able to upgrade mine from Elite Status Seat to Premium Seat for free today, with empty middle next to me, but unable to move him out of lowly Main. If I call and talk with an agent do you think they will move him? If not, no big deal, sigh, I will take one for the team and give my seat to him. Lol, he can drink, I cannot.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjz
Thanks, CDKing. I guess I'm more concerned about the longer HKG-LAX leg which is on AA. Would it earn 100% (+50% CoS), which is what the lowest business fares would earn, or does R mean something lower?
Flights after 1/1/18 R on AA coded ticket earn 150% for international

Originally Posted by tatterdema

I am MVP, partner is not. I booked my flight and his separately to use up different certificates. I linked our reservations. I was able to upgrade mine from Elite Status Seat to Premium Seat for free today, with empty middle next to me, but unable to move him out of lowly Main. If I call and talk with an agent do you think they will move him? If not, no big deal, sigh, I will take one for the team and give my seat to him. Lol, he can drink, I cannot.
You can ask nicely but officially it only applies if you are on the same reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by tatterdema

You can ask nicely but officially it only applies if you are on the same reservation.
Agreed. Definitely a YMMV situation and you’d be more likely to get it if you were Gold or 75K I have found. I called in on a similar situation a couple of days ago. It was a very short flight so it wasn’t a big deal at all but I had to call about something else on the res anyway so I asked. The agent said no, we had to be on the same PNR. No problem said I, and we laughed about being apart for a 38 minute flight. At the end of the call, she said she had moved him up beside me as a one time courtesy.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Are award tickets booked with BA Avios eligible for MVP complimentary upgrades?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

Thank you Finkface and CDking. Lol, it is a fairly short flight, SEA-ONT, so I am not going to bother calling. I normally would not even have moved myself to the Premium seat, but it is my first upgrade as MVP, so I am feeling pretty special, haha. It is row 9, so hopefully I can put him in row 10 right behind me at the 24 hour mark.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Are award tickets booked with BA Avios eligible for MVP complimentary upgrades?
Yes. I just checked, and I am booked into Elite seats, and waitlisted for 1st on my flight in June SEA-LIH and return KOA-SEA. Looks like my chances of an upgrade are pretty slim, but good luck to you!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:35 am

Hi guys, just learnt about Mileage Plan after some research. I need a one way ticket for KUL-YYZ, which at the moment costs around $900 for an economy flight. I've learnt that this flight be redeemable for 70,000 miles on Cathay or JAL first class. With SPG points on sale for roughly 1.82 cents per mile, I'm thinking of using multiple SPG accounts to convert them into Alaskan miles. So that's $1,274 + taxes for a one way first class flight, which is great when an economy one-way isn't far off in price. I've also learnt that availability might be poor on Cathay and JAL first class, but there's also the fallback option of business class for 50,000 miles ($910) on a number of carriers, which is a great deal as well. Am I looking at this all too simplistically? Or is this a great chance at getting a premium flight at little more than the 'actual' price of an economy flight?

Last edited by mettaworldpeace; Apr 22, 2018 at 7:37 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cblaisd
First time I have ever gotten an email telling me a flight tomorrow may be oversold and asking to "click here" if I would volunteer to take a different flight for "at least" a $250 travel credit.

Questions:

a) Is this potential VDB list ordered like United's (e.g., the higher the higher the status the higher on the bump list?) Or is it whoever rushes the podium the fastest when the announcement that VDB's are indeed needed is made?
b) Do gate agents have the power to move you to a different arriving-city flight (e.g., from OAK to SFO)?
c) That "at least" language is intriguing: does that mean that the bidding starts at $250?
a) Whomever rushes first.
b) AFAIK yes.
c) No bidding, it depends on route.

Originally Posted by Finkface
I got one of these about a month ago, although mine was worded slightly different. I had to call in order to take the bump. I called in right away and took the voucher. They booked me on the flight of my choice the following day and gave me a hotel as well. My flight was just a PDX-SEA hop so I was quite happy to take the $300. And it was a voucher that went into my wallet; it wasnt a discount code. And yes, the agents have the power to reroute, although I dont know what the rules are. I went from PDX-SEA-YVR to a direct PDX-YVR (and got ORC as well). My email said:

We're looking for volunteers to take an alternate flight in exchange for a $300 discount on future travel.
If you are interested in this offer, please contact us at 1-800-252-7522. You will be rebooked on the next available flight to your destination, at no additional charge.
I got one of these before... was exciting. Was SEA-ANC. Was rebooked SEA-FAI-ANC, and got another bump. Probably could have had a third, but opted to overnight in SEA and fly out the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.