Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Yeah, my backpack fits underneath. Did you put the violin in overhead -- how did other pax react to the violin taking up extra space in overhead? (hardcase I assume?)
With a long & thin instrument case, I'd ask the FA at the door when boarding if they could place it in the closet up front.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Holy cr*p that sounds like it will be a PITA. It's a piece of cake on AS OLCI.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
This is the one you want:

AS / VX Dysfunction

See post #1 for SDC, looks like phone or airport agent should be able to do it (although it may take some time).

For MCS, see starting at post #424 , it seems to be a bit of pickle with different strategies for MCS upgrades so I'll just leave it with the thread:
VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Yeah, my backpack fits underneath. Did you put the violin in overhead -- how did other pax react to the violin taking up extra space in overhead? (hardcase I assume?)
yep; hard case violin. It seemed to be a non-issue and no one has ever said anything about it. I'd just make sure to board promptly with your group, when called, to ensure there's space for it.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I’m planning my first big trip using AS miles. The plan is to have my sons fly into SEA then from there we will fly to the gateway airport for the int’l flight. Backtracking is not involved, so no concern there. My question is around getting the boys to SEA. They will be flying in from diffferent cities. Award availability varies for where they will be coming from. The question I have is whether the maximum time between flights is 4 or 24 hours? If I can max out at 24 hours, it’ll give me the flexibility to get everybody to SEA, then together fly to the gateway airport.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I’m planning my first big trip using AS miles. The plan is to have my sons fly into SEA then from there we will fly to the gateway airport for the int’l flight. Backtracking is not involved, so no concern there. My question is around getting the boys to SEA. They will be flying in from diffferent cities. Award availability varies for where they will be coming from. The question I have is whether the maximum time between flights is 4 or 24 hours? If I can max out at 24 hours, it’ll give me the flexibility to get everybody to SEA, then together fly to the gateway airport.
Many cases you can do a stopover for a year if needed.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
I'm sure I've seen this before (in some form) but have forgotten.

I received a discount code due to a cancelled flight this week. Can I combine the discount code with My Wallet funds? (I think I can) Additionally, the email states, "Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares, most discounted First Class fares and many privately filed fares." When I click on the Terms and Conditions hyperlink with the code (at AS.com) it says nothing about discounted first class fares. What fare classes can't I book?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
I'm sure I've seen this before (in some form) but have forgotten.

I received a discount code due to a cancelled flight this week. Can I combine the discount code with My Wallet funds? (I think I can) Additionally, the email states, "Discount not valid on all fares, including but not limited to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares, most discounted First Class fares and many privately filed fares." When I click on the Terms and Conditions hyperlink with the code (at AS.com) it says nothing about discounted first class fares. What fare classes can't I book?
I've booked using a discount code and MyWallet funds on the same reservation. Shop using the discount code and the MyWallet option was there during the payment phase of the purchase.

I believe the biggest exclusion is P fares (discounted First) when using discount codes, unless something has changed. I'm not sure about F fare class.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I am looking at buying a few flights in South Africa.

the flight specifically is Operated by Comair as Kulula flight # 105 economy/coach J class. Since this is “British airways”, could I submit BP to Alaska and get credit? As gold 75K the 500 mile minimum (1,250rdm) is pretty good.

cost:

$70 or
6,500 avios

Thanks for the input
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:06 pm

I want to book a west coast to MCO flight using Amex points. Is BA avios my best option or Singapore maybe? I see awards on AS website for 12,500. Is that what I am looking for, or is there another place to check to see if partner's have availability to sell AS flights?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

the flight specifically is Operated by Comair as Kulula flight # 105 economy/coach J class. Since this is “British airways”, could I submit BP to Alaska and get credit? As gold 75K the 500 mile minimum (1,250rdm) is pretty good.
Sounds like it does if its BA coded (purchased through BA) and is the correct range but sounds as if you can save cash by not getting points and booking direct with kulula:

Earning miles on 'Comair' in South Africa?

Originally Posted by be001
I want to book a west coast to MCO flight using Amex points. Is BA avios my best option or Singapore maybe? I see awards on AS website for 12,500. Is that what I am looking for, or is there another place to check to see if partner's have availability to sell AS flights?
12.5K means saver is available and both BA and SQ should see. If you have doubt check the American Airlines website to confirm that partners see it.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

cost:

$70 or
6,500 avios

Thanks for the input
What are the two letters preceeding the flight number? It must be BA and fall within the specified range listed for BA flights on AS Partner page to credit to AS.

I flew British Airways operated by Comair from JNB-CPT in January. I paid 810 Rand ($68.50 USD) for the 2+ hour flight in economy which included 1 checked piece of baggage, usual carry-on, seat selection in an exit row and a hot meal with wine was served.

The aircraft was painted in BA livery with Comair in smaller print. I did receive mileage which automatically posted albeit about 5 weeks after the flight. The flight distance is 789 (as per milecalc) miles and at 25% earnings on the BA Fare Class 198 miles were credited. As AS always provides a 500 mile minimum on all flight classes eligible for accrual that was rounded up to 500. As an AS MVP75K I did receive the 125% bonus on the 500 minimum. Please remember that the bonus (1.25 × 500 = 625) is on the base miles. Therefore; for MVPG75K EQM = 500 and RDM = 500 + 625 = 1125. NOT 1250. MVPG = 1000 RDM and MVP = 750.

Hope this helps.

James
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What are the two letters preceeding the flight number? It must be BA and fall within the specified range listed for BA flights on AS Partner page to credit to AS.

I flew British Airways operated by Comair from JNB-CPT in January. I paid 810 Rand ($68.50 USD) for the 2+ hour flight in economy which included 1 checked piece of baggage, usual carry-on, seat selection in an exit row and a hot meal with wine was served.

The aircraft was painted in BA livery with Comair in smaller print. I did receive mileage which automatically posted albeit about 5 weeks after the flight. The flight distance is 789 (as per milecalc) miles and at 25% earnings on the BA Fare Class 198 miles were credited. As AS always provides a 500 mile minimum on all flight classes eligible for accrual that was rounded up to 500. As an AS MVP75K I did receive the 125% bonus on the 500 minimum. Please remember that the bonus (1.25 × 500 = 625) is on the base miles. Therefore; for MVPG75K EQM = 500 and RDM = 500 + 625 = 1125. NOT 1250. MVPG = 1000 RDM and MVP = 750.

Hope this helps.

James
yes I meant 1,125 thanks
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:02 pm

Apologies if this question has already been asked in the thread.

What's life like as a MVP/MVPG/MVP75K based out of SFO? I'm an SFO --> DC flyer (DCA, BWI and IAD are all options) and have been a UA flyer for a few years but may be looking to switch airlines. UA ex SFO is an upgrade waitlist 70 people deep on many flights, including all of them to the DC area -- is the same true for AS (or may be true for AS once the VX merger is more complete?) If I switched to AS based on current flight numbers, I could status match to MVP and would qualify as MVPG by the end of the year.

In the last 24 months, all of my travel has been TCON domestic, but there's a high likelihood I'll be taking an additional 10 RT TATL/TPAC flights per year in each of the next two years (to a variety of destinations). Will be forced to buy intl Y. If I credit to AS I could get to MVP75K, or if I fly UA I'd be UA 1K and star alliance gold, plus on UA I'd get 6 GPUs so could grab some upgrades. But, if I am significantly more likely to fly in F for a Y-ish fare on AS when traveling domestic, AS would be worth it because my GPU chances would be slim, and even as a 1K on UA my domestic upgrades would be probably 33% of the time or less.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by prometa
But, if I am significantly more likely to fly in F for a Y-ish fare on AS when traveling domestic, AS would be worth it because my GPU chances would be slim, and even as a 1K on UA my domestic upgrades would be probably 33% of the time or less.
I'm on my second year now of MVPG 75K and can't complain. 90% of my flights have been on Virgin America, though, with no upgrades to F in play due to very different upgrade rules. Even after April 25, when we should have access to comped upgrades on those flights, the 8 F seats on Airbus aircraft, versus 12-16 on Boeing flights, could work against us. We know that Alaska plans to retrofit those Airbus cabins with more F seats, but no idea on timetable. I'd be surprised to see them take that on during the summer months, so any upgrade numbers you see may be based on the 8 seat F configuration for a while, and I just would not be optimistic of F upgrades with a cabin of that size on SFO-JFK, SFO-DCA or SFO-HNL, for instance.

So, in terms of upgrades on what used to be Virgin America routes, I think the jury is going to be out for a while.

Certainly possible Alaska may move some of those Airbus aircraft to other routes that Virgin America was not flying, but again that may be months down the line.

If you're going to fly Alaska partners, pay careful attention to accrual rates. Alaska has nothing in play like UA systemwides so expect to sit in the cabin you purchased on partners. That may tilt your decision to UA, but I know it's getting harder and harder there to clear international upgrades in advance (let alone the extra cost to buy-up to a fare that it eligible).
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners

In terms of a comp to Alaska, anything you do now would only hold you until end of 2018. The ideal time to status match is October 1 to get at least 15 months out of it.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm on my second year now of MVPG 75K and can't complain. 90% of my flights have been on Virgin America, though, with no upgrades to F in play due to very different upgrade rules. Even after April 25, when we should have access to comped upgrades on those flights, the 8 F seats on Airbus aircraft, versus 12-16 on Boeing flights, could work against us. We know that Alaska plans to retrofit those Airbus cabins with more F seats, but no idea on timetable. I'd be surprised to see them take that on during the summer months, so any upgrade numbers you see may be based on the 8 seat F configuration for a while, and I just would not be optimistic of F upgrades with a cabin of that size on SFO-JFK, SFO-DCA or SFO-HNL, for instance.

So, in terms of upgrades on what used to be Virgin America routes, I think the jury is going to be out for a while.

Certainly possible Alaska may move some of those Airbus aircraft to other routes that Virgin America was not flying, but again that may be months down the line.

If you're going to fly Alaska partners, pay careful attention to accrual rates. Alaska has nothing in play like UA systemwides so expect to sit in the cabin you purchased on partners. That may tilt your decision to UA, but I know it's getting harder and harder there to clear international upgrades in advance (let alone the extra cost to buy-up to a fare that it eligible).
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners

In terms of a comp to Alaska, anything you do now would only hold you until end of 2018. The ideal time to status match is October 1 to get at least 15 months out of it.
I am Gold 75K, have a SFO JFK coming up at the end of May - every F seat is available (8). Really hoping I get to try the VX F seats before it’s gone. I also have PHL SFO coming up next month also, 5 of 8 F seats are open. Hoping at least one of these flights I get to try F:-) both would be great !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.