Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:42 pm

I would suggest making that thread a sticky or whatever it is called so that it appears in the top 3-4 threads (just like in UA)
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
I am in the process of booking SFO-SEA-YYC-SEA-SFO using American AAdvantage miles. the booking shows Alaska flights and flight numbers. i am booking milesaver economy seats.
my question is: Does the fact that i am AAdvantage Platinum provide any benefits with Alaska such as luggage allowance, seat assignment or lounge access?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone ever flown with an instrument (in-cabin) in addition to their regular carry-on? I usually fly with a carry-on sized backpack; was looking to carry aboard a soprano saxophone in a hard case as well. It's long and narrow (approximate dimensions: 35"x12").

Specific route is BWI-LAX -- do the 739s have a coat closet I can store it inside? Would the FAs be more amenable to help if I were in Premium/First?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by geezersrule
I am in the process of booking SFO-SEA-YYC-SEA-SFO using American AAdvantage miles. the booking shows Alaska flights and flight numbers. i am booking milesaver economy seats.
my question is: Does the fact that i am AAdvantage Platinum provide any benefits with Alaska such as luggage allowance, seat assignment or lounge access?
As of January 1st and the end of AS/AA elite partnership, no additional benefits for AA elite on AS. If you're an Admirals Club member, you can access Alaska Lounges on AS or AA flights. AS doesn't offer status based lounge access even to its own elite.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have some funds + companion fare in my AS wallet (no status) and my SO is 75k but has no funds in her wallet. What's the optimal way to combine these & book tickets? If I book for myself and add my SO and her MileagePlan number, will I be eligible for a companion upgrade with her?

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

What time do I need to be at the airport

Our flight flight from SEA-LAX-ZIH has been changed to a 5 AM outbound from SEA-LAX due to an earlier departing LAX-ZIH. We are traveling First, carry-on only. We usually get pre-check but I doubt those lines are even open this early. What time do we need to get to SEA for our flight. This is late October...so not cruise season. Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Has anyone ever flown with an instrument (in-cabin) in addition to their regular carry-on? I usually fly with a carry-on sized backpack; was looking to carry aboard a soprano saxophone in a hard case as well. It's long and narrow (approximate dimensions: 35"x12").
I've flown with a violin before, but that was considered my "overhead" carryon, so just need to make sure your second item fits under the seat in front of you
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by david55
Our flight flight from SEA-LAX-ZIH has been changed to a 5 AM outbound from SEA-LAX due to an earlier departing LAX-ZIH. We are traveling First, carry-on only. We usually get pre-check but I doubt those lines are even open this early. What time do we need to get to SEA for our flight. This is late October...so not cruise season. Thanks
It is probably personal preference to some degree. I would personally get there between 4:00-4:15 considering all of your conditions (pre-check, carry-on only). This would not account for any necessary parking, this would be the time I would be in the airport. I would consider that enough time to get through everything and to the gate, but it might not leave much room for unforeseen issues popping up that could delay you getting to the airport at that time. So while it works for me, many others may not be comfortable with that time.

You can check to see if TSA Pre lanes will be open by plugging in the day of the week you are flying here:

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
It is probably personal preference to some degree. I would personally get there between 4:00-4:15 considering all of your conditions (pre-check, carry-on only). This would not account for any necessary parking, this would be the time I would be in the airport. I would consider that enough time to get through everything and to the gate, but it might not leave much room for unforeseen issues popping up that could delay you getting to the airport at that time. So while it works for me, many others may not be comfortable with that time.

You can check to see if TSA Pre lanes will be open by plugging in the day of the week you are flying here:

Thanks. We will be staying over at a SEATAC hotel the night before so we will be right there. Even then it basically means getting up at 2:30 for the start of our trip. Great TSA website link.
Whowouldanewman likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman

And also if the OP is able to check-in online prior or not. Airport check-in closes 40 minutes prior for domestic and 60 minutes for international.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

And also if the OP is able to check-in online prior or not. Airport check-in closes 40 minutes prior for domestic and 60 minutes for international.
The whole situation looked pretty miserable to us...having to get up at 2:30 in the morning as well as staying at SeaTac for half a night. We decided to change the reservation and fly into LAX the day before, stay the night there, visit friends, and catch the LAX-ZIH leg as originally planned at 9 that morning. And we even got MVP upgrades down to LAX on the new flight.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by invalyd
I have some funds + companion fare in my AS wallet (no status) and my SO is 75k but has no funds in her wallet. What's the optimal way to combine these & book tickets? If I book for myself and add my SO and her MileagePlan number, will I be eligible for a companion upgrade with her?

Thanks
I believe it was stated here that as long as your SO is the companion, you get the upgrade benefits. I’ve always put the status flyer first on the reservation, but it’s apparently not necessary.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
SDC when traveling on VX?

On the days that I am traveling virtually all of the SEA-SFO flights are being operated by VX.

How does SDC work if you want to switch flights on the day? This is still before the day the computer systems merge. I purchase the ticket on www.alaskaair.com but it is a VX flight and has a VX PNR. Normally I do SDC within the OLCI process. But of course OLCI will be the old www.virginamerica.com - is SDC implemented there? Do I have to call an agent to do it? What about MCS?

I didn't see a thread on this. Generally I have avoided booking VX flights on high frequency routes but it seems unavoidable on SFO-SEA.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

I've flown with a violin before, but that was considered my "overhead" carryon, so just need to make sure your second item fits under the seat in front of you
Yeah, my backpack fits underneath. Did you put the violin in overhead -- how did other pax react to the violin taking up extra space in overhead? (hardcase I assume?)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
On the days that I am traveling virtually all of the SEA-SFO flights are being operated by VX.

How does SDC work if you want to switch flights on the day? This is still before the day the computer systems merge. I purchase the ticket on www.alaskaair.com but it is a VX flight and has a VX PNR. Normally I do SDC within the OLCI process. But of course OLCI will be the old www.virginamerica.com - is SDC implemented there? Do I have to call an agent to do it? What about MCS?

I didn't see a thread on this. Generally I have avoided booking VX flights on high frequency routes but it seems unavoidable on SFO-SEA.
This is the one you want:

AS / VX Dysfunction

See post #1 for SDC, looks like phone or airport agent should be able to do it (although it may take some time).

For MCS, see starting at post #424 , it seems to be a bit of pickle with different strategies for MCS upgrades so I'll just leave it with the thread:
VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.