Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
​​​​​Paid upgrades only become available once the complimentary upgrade waitlist is empty.
That makes it sound an awful lot like I'm flying economy. Although if my friend managed to buy an upgrade, does that mean that there were fewer MVPs of any flavor on the flight than there were F seats (I'm assuming that no one clicks "no" when offered a complimentary upgrade). That seems strange. MVP is not that hard to get.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That makes it sound an awful lot like I'm flying economy. Although if my friend managed to buy an upgrade, does that mean that there were fewer MVPs of any flavor on the flight than there were F seats (I'm assuming that no one clicks "no" when offered a complimentary upgrade). That seems strange. MVP is not that hard to get.
MVPs can only upgrade themselves so if there's one or more companions on a reservation, the upgrade processor will skip them. Likewise if a Gold/75K has a companion but there's only one upgrade available, the processor will skip them as well.

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:10 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Exactly, all the MVPs and higher were upgraded, then the extra U space went up for sale. So maybe your odds are better than you think! I was about 50% on upgrades as an MVP last year, about 75% as a gold this year.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Double Miles?

On the main AS page, I see this:

I like double miles! So, tell me more!

That takes me to a page to register for the promo (without actually telling me more...) with my mileage plan number already filled in (I'm signed in). I enter the required "where did you hear about the promo" field ("web page") and it tells me

The registration code is invalid. Check the dates for the promotion you are entering.
Does this work for anyone else?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
On the main AS page, I see this:

I like double miles! So, tell me more!

That takes me to a page to register for the promo (without actually telling me more...) with my mileage plan number already filled in (I'm signed in). I enter the required "where did you hear about the promo" field ("web page") and it tells me

Does this work for anyone else?
If this is the double miles promo for flights up to the end of February, 2018, you had to register by January 31/18 so you are too late to register.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh. I guess I missed it. They really need to take it off their front page.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Can I interline to AA from VX IROPS?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Also can I do co-terminals VX IROPS?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Currently have a round trip SEA-PHL with AS number. Can the return flight be changed to AA Plat number? If so, how are miles calculated and what would the baggage allowance?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Maybe?

Code:
Interline AgreementsShare Results
E-Ticket Interline Agreements

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       AA  AM  AV  AZ  BR  CA  CI  CX  CZ  ET  EY  FJ  FM  HA  
       HR  HU  HX  JL  KE  KS  MU  NZ  PR  PS  QF  RJ  SA  SQ  
       SV  SY  S4  TN  UN  VA  VS  5T
E-ticket interline agreements is blank in EF, which is strange because AS lists VX under e-ticket interline agreements. But it looks like they can issue paper tickets on AA. If I'm reading this incorrectly, someone please jump in!

Again maybe. I was in SFO during an IRROPS period and the GA was offering one of the other NYC airports to the pax in front of me, so it's possible.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Can they and will they are 2 different questions.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buying F?

When I do some flight searches for dates in the future I don't see the ability to buy F even for flights that seem completely empty.

Eg, searching SFO-PHX for 9/14 gives one option as SFO-PDX on AS 389; PDX-PHX on AS 644. It gives me the option to buy economy for $220, but no option to buy F, even though the seat maps show that the flights are empty (of course some seats may have been sold with no seat selection, but I seriously doubt that all of F is sold out). What's going on here? Do they not release any F fares at all for some flights until closer to the date of travel?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Asking again:
Currently have a round trip SEA-PHL with AS number. Can the return flight be changed to AA Plat number? If so, how are miles calculated and what would the baggage allowance?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by rkh29
Asking again:
Crediting to AA will mean zero miles earned. There would be no baggage allowance as there are no elite reciprocal benefits as of January 1st. Better to just keep your AS number in.

From AA's website regarding mileage earning:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rkh29
Asking again:
AS and AA just rolled back the partnership significantly--it was announced last summer and took effect at the beginning of the year. You can't earn miles flying AS unless you booked the flight as an AA codeshare, and even then you'll get no elite benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.