Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a single PNR, four people (including me), to Hawaii in March. Original tickets were $260 each, and I've now refared them twice on the AS website, once a couple weeks ago to $229, and today to $169 each. So in My Wallet, I have eight credits - four for $31 each and four for $60 each.

Is this $91 that I must use for each of the four named pax, or is it $364 I can use for myself on a later ticket? If I apply the funds to one of my regular work trips, will I still get a flight receipt showing the original cost of the flight for expense purposes? Is there any issue with applying 2, 4, or 8 of these credits to a single ticket?

It says I must purchase a ticket with the credits by July 2018, but I assume that means I could be buying in July for a December (or whatever) flight... Is that right?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have a single PNR, four people (including me), to Hawaii in March. Original tickets were $260 each, and I've now refared them twice on the AS website, once a couple weeks ago to $229, and today to $169 each. So in My Wallet, I have eight credits - four for $31 each and four for $60 each.

Is this $91 that I must use for each of the four named pax, or is it $364 I can use for myself on a later ticket? If I apply the funds to one of my regular work trips, will I still get a flight receipt showing the original cost of the flight for expense purposes? Is there any issue with applying 2, 4, or 8 of these credits to a single ticket?

It says I must purchase a ticket with the credits by July 2018, but I assume that means I could be buying in July for a December (or whatever) flight... Is that right?
Since they're in your wallet, they're yours to use on any ticket you buy while logged into your account. They're not tied to the original passenger like they are on other airlines. When you buy a ticket, it does show the full ticket price and then the wallet credit applied, so it's useful for using it on business travel and getting reimbursed for the full amount. I do this all the time (granted, I'm the owner, so I'm a pretty flexible!). It's a nice way of getting cash back for a wallet credit. Finally, at purchase, it just applies the balance in your wallet to the total without regard to the individual credits that made up that balance.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by czpdx
Since they're in your wallet, they're yours to use on any ticket you buy while logged into your account. They're not tied to the original passenger like they are on other airlines. When you buy a ticket, it does show the full ticket price and then the wallet credit applied, so it's useful for using it on business travel and getting reimbursed for the full amount. I do this all the time (granted, I'm the owner, so I'm a pretty flexible!). It's a nice way of getting cash back for a wallet credit. Finally, at purchase, it just applies the balance in your wallet to the total without regard to the individual credits that made up that balance.
Perfect...thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
For mileage running purposes, could you book a direct flight and then Same Day Confirm to a flight with connections to earn the extra miles from the itinerary? Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zhaofa90
For mileage running purposes, could you book a direct flight and then Same Day Confirm to a flight with connections to earn the extra miles from the itinerary? Thanks!
Nope. SDCs are only allowed for an identical routing.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:10 pm

First Class Upgrade on Virgin Flight

Flying VA transcon next week, matched to MVP Gold in 2018 from VA Elevate Gold - Anyone know if First Class upgrades are/will carry over to VA A321s in current configuration. Or are benefits the same on VA for the time being?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Gilbum
Flying VA transcon next week, matched to MVP Gold in 2018 from VA Elevate Gold - Anyone know if First Class upgrades are/will carry over to VA A321s in current configuration. Or are benefits the same on VA for the time being?
Upgrades on VX airbuses are still buy-ups only at this time at T-24 hour window. Upgrades via AS protocol won't happen until end of April.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/alaska-virgin/elite-benefit-schedule
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/membership-benefits/elite-partner-benefits#virgin-america

Last edited by safari ari; Jan 24, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Assume you mean VX/Virgin America transcon and not Virgin Australia transcon? Benefits are the same on VX as Elevate Gold had- you can request a complimentary MCS upgrade (if you booked into the main cabin) similar to how that previously worked, and then pay for the MCS->F upgrade fee.

More in the VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites thread.

Complimentary upgrades to First on the VX Airbus are not expected until the VX flight numbers go away in April and those all become native AS flight numbers. AS has not yet announced that complimentary upgrades will be available but there has been U (upgrade fare class) released on those flights and if available, can be upgraded now with either GGUs or an instant upgrade fare class.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Hi all,

I’m planning to take Alaska SFO-MSP in First Class, in the summer this year. I’ve got a couple of questions.

1) This flight departs at 11:45 and is operated by an Embraer 175. What will the food be like? Will I get a hot meal in First?

2) Am I right in understanding there’s no lounge at all in SFO? I see there’s a partner lounge operated by CX but this is in the international terminal which I assume I can’t access. Doubt it’s relevant but I’m also OneWorld Emerald with BA. Don’t think I can get in the Admirals Club either?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by paul4040
Hi all,

I’m planning to take Alaska SFO-MSP in First Class, in the summer this year. I’ve got a couple of questions.

1) This flight departs at 11:45 and is operated by an Embraer 175. What will the food be like? Will I get a hot meal in First?

2) Am I right in understanding there’s no lounge at all in SFO? I see there’s a partner lounge operated by CX but this is in the international terminal which I assume I can’t access. Doubt it’s relevant but I’m also OneWorld Emerald with BA. Don’t think I can get in the Admirals Club either?
11:45AM will either be hot breakfast or lunch. Well, I just flew the emb 175 in F at 7am between MCI and SAN and the breakfast was a small quiche , salad and fruit bowl. It was pretty good (but small)

No idea about AS SFO lounge but you would not have access to any Oneworld lounge. You would have Alaska lounge access if you purchased F or redeemed miles for F but not if you received a complimentary upgrade.

MB
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
4/25 is the day VX flights become AS flights so SOP until then.

For example my flight on 4/27, I grabbed the former Main Cabin Select Seat and i'm waitlisted for First (though Friday evening i'm sure I'll still be in row 3)

Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:57 am

Hi all,

You won't have access to a lounge via your F ticket.

"Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket (e.g., A, D, F or P class of service) on flights operated by Alaska Airlines have access to Alaska Lounge locations only on their day of flight. These fares do not include entrance agreements into other airline clubrooms. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge concierge. Passengers traveling on an upgraded ticket booked in U class do not have complementary access to the Alaska Lounge. "

If you have a priority pass you can get access to the KLM/AF lounge in the A terminal (until 12pm I believe), which I believe for your flight you should be leaving out of, but always double check. If you have TSA Pre I have done numerous Centurion lounge visits and walked over to T2 in ~10 minutes. So going from A to T2 isn't the worst trek if you have a lot of time to kill.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by safari ari
You won't have access to a lounge via your F ticket.

"Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket (e.g., A, D, F or P class of service) on flights operated by Alaska Airlines have access to Alaska Lounge locations only on their day of flight. These fares do not include entrance agreements into other airline clubrooms. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge concierge. Passengers traveling on an upgraded ticket booked in U class do not have complementary access to the Alaska Lounge. "

If you have a priority pass you can get access to the KLM/AF lounge in the A terminal (until 12pm I believe), which I believe for your flight you should be leaving out of, but always double check. If you have TSA Pre I have done numerous Centurion lounge visits and walked over to T2 in ~10 minutes. So going from A to T2 isn't the worst trek if you have a lot of time to kill.
Thanks for the reply. I do have Priority Pass but wouldn’t have thought a flight to MSP would depart from the international terminal? Pretty sure I would be leaving from T2, wouldn’t I?

I am a British citizen and resident so I don’t have TSA Pre unfortunately.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I do have Priority Pass but wouldn’t have thought a flight to MSP would depart from the international terminal? Pretty sure I would be leaving from T2, wouldn’t I?

I am a British citizen and resident so I don’t have TSA Pre unfortunately.

Virgin America, (which Alaska bought) flies out of T2, and a few months ago Alaska moved their Seattle flights to T2, but beforehand all Alaska flights were flying out of the International A gates. Looking at the last few flights on that route of SFO-MSP, it seems they have been departing from the A international terminal. So at this time, you will have a lounge in the A terminal where your flight is currently departing from, but since you do not fly until Summer the departing terminal may change, so just be aware beforehand.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
AS exclusively operated out of the international terminal pre-merger. There are a few hold overs that still depart from there - usually flights to Mexico and for some reason the flight to MSP. But, definitely check the day of travel. Maybe someone crafty thinks MSP is in the artic tundra (which it is)!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.