Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Seatguru https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Al..._737-800_E.php shows them all as equal, except 10A which doesn't have a window.
Thanks, I did check there but wanted to ask here as well.

Also question about upgrading to first class - it looks like if there are any seats available they will open up 24 hour to departure? How often does this actually happen or do they tend to be already gone by that time?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sjackson12
Thanks, I did check there but wanted to ask here as well.

Also question about upgrading to first class - it looks like if there are any seats available they will open up 24 hour to departure? How often does this actually happen or do they tend to be already gone by that time?
Really is route & time of day/week variable and even then can swing with the smaller 738 F cabin. Short haul with frequency or midcon routes w/ low elite numbers are probably best bet. I'm not sure how MSP-SEA is these days. There used to be a redeye eastbound which I would imagine would have been a good shot.

In order to get an offer at OLCI, U needs to be 1 or higher, not just an unsold First seat. If there's empty F seats with no one on the upgrade list, it's possible that the gate agent will offer (or on request) or they may just decide to send the flight out with an empty seat. OLCI right at T-24, see if it offers! You can alway abort the check-in and try again later.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sometimes those midcons have paid F at $125-ish above the coach fare. If you're willing to OLCI-upgrade, you might look for a flight where this is the case and book it outright instead of hoping for a U seat. Nice mileage/EQM posting, better choice of seats, and access to the lounge.

Ex-MCI to PDX or SEA, I can often buy F in the $100-125 range. (Say, $200 for Y and $325 for F.)
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:16 pm

Sorry but what does "U needs to be 1 or higher" mean?

I feel like I need some sort of flyer talk dictionary haha
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sjackson12
Sorry but what does "U needs to be 1 or higher" mean?

I feel like I need some sort of flyer talk dictionary haha
U is the fare bucket AS uses for first class upgrades. It's entirely possible that AS could have three F fares open and three U for a given flight, or three F and zero U. Sometimes they have F and P inventory but hold out on opening up U space to try to get more paid fares, and in that case you can't upgrade, whether by paying (except by upfaring your reservation to a first-class ticket), using a GGU, or through status.

And this is AS-specific terminology. I'm sure other airlines use U for their upgrade space too, but my CX business class award booked into their U bucket.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
I did some dummy reservations and I'm running into what you are.

5/9/18 has FCO-JFK-LAX all in Business

If i try 5/30 JFK-LAX i get space but when i try to combine with the 5/9 space FCO-JFK i get no luck.

I wonder if award rules with AA changed with the partnership update 1/1. For instance AA doesn't allow their own members to have stop-over on any award, perhaps AA is pushing the same restriction on those booked with AS points.

My only other guess is the search itself is pulling the seat from inventory, i know on the American website if you get so far in the booking process, the inventory is temporarily reduced

AA has a slightly higher sAAver rate for J seats on the 32B JFK-LAX. Their normal level sAAver J award is 25K miles, while their sAAver J award on the 32B is 32.5K miles. Both are the lowest level awards, but clearly different. What you might be running into is a conflict between the AA and AS systems perceiving the 32B J sAAver level from AA not being mapped into a legal stop-over in the AS system. Maybe a phone call to AS is in order.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:00 pm

I had an excellent experience with an in-flight agent - is there a link to show our appreciation?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I had an excellent experience with an in-flight agent - is there a link to show our appreciation?
If you go into your booking in the app within a few days of your flight, there will be a link to the Alaska Listens survey. There is space to single out individual staff members. Also, I always get an emailed survey (exact same one as in the app) a day or two after the last flight on my booking.

Or you can access the survey here: https://survey.alaskalistens.com/#/survey1
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Alaska Listens can work well for this.

Just got the following in my inbox today:

<snip>
Additionally, thank you for your kudo for our crew member, <redacted>. I am pleased to share your compliment with his supervisor so that he may be recognized for the outstanding service provided to you.
</snip>
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jinglish
U is the fare bucket AS uses for first class upgrades. It's entirely possible that AS could have three F fares open and three U for a given flight, or three F and zero U. Sometimes they have F and P inventory but hold out on opening up U space to try to get more paid fares, and in that case you can't upgrade, whether by paying (except by upfaring your reservation to a first-class ticket), using a GGU, or through status.

And this is AS-specific terminology. I'm sure other airlines use U for their upgrade space too, but my CX business class award booked into their U bucket.
How do you find how much U space is available?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman

How do you find how much U space is available?
Either a subscription tool like ExpertFlyer or select any Upgrade Type on the search box on alaskaair.com on a dummy booking (doesn't matter which type, just want to get U to display) and look for solid blue box with a white F by the flight. If you search for one person and a blue F box, there's at least U1. Search for two seats and a blue F box, at least U2. White box with blue F means U=0.

In the example below U is not available for AS36, but it is for AS37. Since I was just searching for 1 seat, it's U1 or higher for AS37.

ETA: Can't use MVP in the Upgrade type for more than one seat, and use Gold Guest Upgrade for three or more seats. The website logic won't allow MVP as the upgrade type when searching for two seats and such due to assumptions that you actually want those type of upgrades, rather than just the fare classes and searching.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Thanks, very helpful! And selecting MVP just shows the price for a ticket that is eligible for instant upgrade, correct?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Does Cathay Pacific open up J seats closer to the Departure date similar to JAL?

Also, anybody have any insight on how comfortable CX premium economy is?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bta15
Does Cathay Pacific open up J seats closer to the Departure date similar to JAL?
You can dig through the CX award thread for specific examples, but some people have reported booking awards even eight hours out after space has appeared, and I think maybe less. Availability sometimes starts showing up at two weeks, but it can really happen any time between then and departure.

Last edited by jinglish; Jan 20, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL Silver
I'm brand new to AS, and recently got my UA Gold matched to AS MVP Gold. I received 4 Gold Guest Upgrades as part of the match.

I have a work trip coming up (it's a prize trip to Cabo with some work functions sprinkled in). We are supposed to book through Concur to take advantage of negotiated rates/fares. Obviously the company won't shell out for first class, but I'd like to make the trip fun for the wife and I by upgrading using our Gold Guest Upgrades. The current fares showing up on Concur are in the G/R/T range, which are obviously not conducive to using a Guest Upgrade. Has anyone had success booking a G/R/T fare, then "buying up" a fare class to get to a Guest Upgrade-eligible one? If I was using the AS site to book, I'd obviously select the option to automatically choose the applicable fare class, but Concur won't let me do that (probably for good reason). The flights in question have plenty of upgrade space per ExpertFlyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.