Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by faithful
Are there any benefits for MVPG75 flying to Europe on a partner airline award ticket? (upgrades, baggage allowances, priority, etc.)
Website doesn't list much
TIA
The website lists all of the benefits you receive.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

Lounge access on FI (KEF) and BA (LHR T5).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackwilliam99
Hi! I'm new to Alaska (having come over from VX). I've already been granted MVP status from Elevate SIlver (which was based on spend, not miles).

What I'm wondering now is that in 2017 (all since Feb), I flew a little over 37,000 miles on VX. By the end of this week, I will have flown another 5790 miles, and then another 2400 by the end of January.

Question is – what are the odds I get Gold? I've heard whispers of January challenges from AS MVP friends. Is this a thing? Should I keep bugging AS Customer Care? Can I beg?

Thanks in advance!
Haven't heard of AS doing challenges recently. And, this was only for those who were close and previously qualified for the particular level. The year is young to fly 40K, 75K or more

Originally Posted by rustykettel
But status does move you up the list, no?
Yes it does. G75K>GLD>MVP>others [However there are other categories as well]
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
GGU ?

I read the rules here and didn't find an answer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades

Can a GGU be applied to an existing rez. assuming there is "U" availability? I'm guessing "no".
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by philemer
I read the rules here and didn't find an answer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades

Can a GGU be applied to an existing rez. assuming there is "U" availability? I'm guessing "no".
Sure, why not? As long as you are booked in a qualifying class and there is U space, it should let you do it online. Unless you are on the complimentary upgrade waitlist, in which case you have to call in and have them remove you from the waitlist first. There seems to be a couple of steps to this and some agents don't know how to do it correctly so after they say they have removed you, try to apply your GGU while you are still on the phone. If you can't they haven't removed you from all of the places they need to.

Assuming it is the same price (or close), I always buy V or K class and wait for U to open up. Even if you have bought a lower class, just upfare and you can then use your GGU.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Sure, why not? As long as you are booked in a qualifying class and there is U space, it should let you do it online. Unless you are on the complimentary upgrade waitlist, in which case you have to call in and have them remove you from the waitlist first. There seems to be a couple of steps to this and some agents don't know how to do it correctly so after they say they have removed you, try to apply your GGU while you are still on the phone. If you can't they haven't removed you from all of the places they need to.

Assuming it is the same price (or close), I always buy V or K class and wait for U to open up. Even if you have bought a lower class, just upfare and you can then use your GGU.
Thanks! I have no status so the GGU would be a gift. I was thinking of buying a ticket for next Jan., in a few more weeks, then apply a GGU if I were fortunate enough to obtain one later this yr.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Three questions I'm hoping the experienced AS folks can help with:
  1. When do 2018 MVP Gold guest upgrade certificates get deposited into my wallet? I checked today and I still appear to have the same ones I got last year when AS matched my Elevate Gold status to MVPG, and those expire 12/31/18. Am I correct in guessing that I should get another batch of 4 upgrade certificates for the 2018 year which expire 12/31/19 since I'm MVPG this year as well?
  2. Can the MVPG guest upgrade certificates be applied to VX flights prior to the late April flight number consolidations? I can't recall what the exact date is but I have some cross-country flights on VX (booked using AS miles this week) in early April (4/3 and 4/8)? I tried clicking into the guest upgrade option after going into the trip but I just get " MVP® Gold Guest upgrade: This reservation is not eligible for online MVP® Gold Guest upgrade"
  3. I (MVPG) booked an award reservation for my wife (MVP) using my miles -- do the same MVPG change/cancel policies apply for that reservation since the miles came out of my account? Or is she stuck with the MVP redeposit fee since she's only MVP?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:55 pm

Hello, I will be making my first Alaska flight next month MSP-SEA RT on the 737-800 and then 900. Is 9C a good choice for premium economy or are there any better seats?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sjackson12
Hello, I will be making my first Alaska flight next month MSP-SEA RT on the 737-800 and then 900. Is 9C a good choice for premium economy or are there any better seats?
Seatguru https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Al..._737-800_E.php shows them all as equal, except 10A which doesn't have a window.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Three questions I'm hoping the experienced AS folks can help with:
  1. When do 2018 MVP Gold guest upgrade certificates get deposited into my wallet? I checked today and I still appear to have the same ones I got last year when AS matched my Elevate Gold status to MVPG, and those expire 12/31/18. Am I correct in guessing that I should get another batch of 4 upgrade certificates for the 2018 year which expire 12/31/19 since I'm MVPG this year as well?
  2. Can the MVPG guest upgrade certificates be applied to VX flights prior to the late April flight number consolidations? I can't recall what the exact date is but I have some cross-country flights on VX (booked using AS miles this week) in early April (4/3 and 4/8)? I tried clicking into the guest upgrade option after going into the trip but I just get " MVP® Gold Guest upgrade: This reservation is not eligible for online MVP® Gold Guest upgrade"
  3. I (MVPG) booked an award reservation for my wife (MVP) using my miles -- do the same MVPG change/cancel policies apply for that reservation since the miles came out of my account? Or is she stuck with the MVP redeposit fee since she's only MVP?
Thanks in advance!
1) When did you match? Was it in the fall by any chance? And when did you requalify for VX Gold? GGUs for this year's status (and earned during 2017) expire 12/31/18.

2) Unfortunately you can only use those on AS flights and not codeshares (which is what VX flights are until late April).

3)^Yes! Award bookings with your miles inherits your Gold fee waiver. Note that no other status or flight benefits are inherited so she remains at the MVP level for upgrades if flying seperately and no free first drink in the main cabin.

Last edited by rustykettel; Jan 18, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:48 pm

Is this within the rules: Europe to RNO with a stopover in NYC?

Hello Everyone,

i Want to return from Europe to my home Airport RNO (or even LAX/SFO and I can pay my way home).

i see available Business Class award space when I search from various cities to JFK on AA and then I see award space from JFK to LAX/SFO specifically on AA’s 32B transcon plane.

But when I use the multi-City search to try and book, it only gives me so few options. Can this be booked manually if I call or is this not a legal stopover?

thanks,
Ever
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaxfan11
Hello Everyone,

i Want to return from Europe to my home Airport RNO (or even LAX/SFO and I can pay my way home).

i see available Business Class award space when I search from various cities to JFK on AA and then I see award space from JFK to LAX/SFO specifically on AA’s 32B transcon plane.

But when I use the multi-City search to try and book, it only gives me so few options. Can this be booked manually if I call or is this not a legal stopover?

thanks,
Ever
From where in Europe are you departing?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
From where in Europe are you departing?
I would like to depart from Rome but wouldn’t really have a problem positioning to a different European City for a better AA business product or award space.

My question is can I have a stopover in NYC and continue on to the west coast specifically on AA’s 32B Transcon plane?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Jaxfan11

I would like to depart from Rome but wouldn’t really have a problem positioning to a different European City for a better AA business product or award space.

My question is can I have a stopover in NYC and continue on to the west coast specifically on AA’s 32B Transcon plane?
I did some dummy reservations and I'm running into what you are.

5/9/18 has FCO-JFK-LAX all in Business

If i try 5/30 JFK-LAX i get space but when i try to combine with the 5/9 space FCO-JFK i get no luck.

I wonder if award rules with AA changed with the partnership update 1/1. For instance AA doesn't allow their own members to have stop-over on any award, perhaps AA is pushing the same restriction on those booked with AS points.

My only other guess is the search itself is pulling the seat from inventory, i know on the American website if you get so far in the booking process, the inventory is temporarily reduced

Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I did some dummy reservations and I'm running into what you are.

5/9/18 has FCO-JFK-LAX all in Business

If i try 5/30 JFK-LAX i get space but when i try to combine with the 5/9 space FCO-JFK i get no luck.

I wonder if award rules with AA changed with the partnership update 1/1. For instance AA doesn't allow their owmembers to have stop-over on any award, perhaps AA is pushing the same restriction on those booked with AS points.

My only other guess is the search itself is pulling the seat from inventory, i know on the American website if you get so far in the booking process, the inventory is temporarily reduced

I was able to find some dates where the stopover worked with a connection a couple days later to LAX/SFO on AA’s 32B.

There are dates it doesn’t work when space is available when searching individual segments.

There are dates when award space is open when searching with a stopover but space won’t show when searching individual segments. Might be a glitch.

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel
1) When did you match? Was it in the fall by any chance? And when did you requalify for VX Gold? GGUs for this year's status (and earned during 2017) expire 12/31/18.

2) Unfortunately you can only use those on AS flights and not codeshares (which is what VX flights are until late April).

3)^Yes! Award bookings with your miles inherits your Gold fee waiver. Note that no other status or flight benefits are inherited so she remains at the MVP level for upgrades if flying seperately and no free first drink in the main cabin.
  1. I did the match as soon as it was available, so I believe early 2017? I remember the upgrade certs were dropped into my AS account immediately after I was matched to MVPG. I remember thinking it was odd that the certificates had such a long expiry (over 1.5 years at the time) but didn't think much of it after that. I actually thought I only was going to make it to MVP this year so not sure when I officially have requalified.
  2. Drats! I had a feeling that would be the case but unfortunately my travel dates aren't flexible enough to reschedule to fly after the consolidation
  3. Good to know - perfect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.