Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
How long are Virgin flights taking to post? Flew on Friday and would think they'd post by now...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
How long are Virgin flights taking to post? Flew on Friday and would think they'd post by now...
If after 2 weeks they fail to post to your account, you can request the mileage plan credit through the AS website (and I think Twitter DM as well). I had some difficulty in December with getting credit for flight numbers above 1951 (SFO-SAN), but after several mileage requests (the equivalent to HUCA), they posted correctly. One part of the website says ALL Virgin flights credit to AS (correct) and another part says flights 0001-1951 credit to AS (incorrect).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Question for @missydarlin : what will the AS Lounge situation be like up at PAE when flights launch in the Fall?

ty!

Last edited by brizone; Jan 16, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by brizone
Question for @missydarlin : what will the AS Lounge situation be like up at PAE when flights launch in the Fall?

ty!
My guess would be nonexistent, at least in the beginning.
brizone likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Alaska
Question MVP Gold challenge for January?

Hi! I'm new to Alaska (having come over from VX). I've already been granted MVP status from Elevate SIlver (which was based on spend, not miles).

What I'm wondering now is that in 2017 (all since Feb), I flew a little over 37,000 miles on VX. By the end of this week, I will have flown another 5790 miles, and then another 2400 by the end of January.

Question is – what are the odds I get Gold? I've heard whispers of January challenges from AS MVP friends. Is this a thing? Should I keep bugging AS Customer Care? Can I beg?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
New MVP here. Is same-day standby a published benefit for MVPs? On a whim, I asked a GA the other night if I could go standby and she allowed it, getting me to my destination 45 minutes earlier. Just wasn't sure if she did me a favor or if it's a published benefit. The website only mentions standby for Golds and up, yet there were 20 standbys on the board with me at #1 on the list. (ex-SEA during what appeared to be normal operations.)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by MAH4546
VX posting time to mileage plan?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by pinniped
New MVP here. Is same-day standby a published benefit for MVPs? On a whim, I asked a GA the other night if I could go standby and she allowed it, getting me to my destination 45 minutes earlier. Just wasn't sure if she did me a favor or if it's a published benefit. The website only mentions standby for Golds and up, yet there were 20 standbys on the board with me at #1 on the list. (ex-SEA during what appeared to be normal operations.)
Was this a shuttle route by any chance? SEA-GEG/PDX have free standby for everyone.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It was a SEA-PDX flight. Probably the only place I'll be in position to standby on AS, so good to know it's allowed and being even a base MVP actually helps!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It was a SEA-PDX flight. Probably the only place I'll be in position to standby on AS, so good to know it's allowed and being even a base MVP actually helps!
^ Also ANC-FAI.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...me-day-standby
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:33 pm

It’s not necessarily an MVP benefit as everyone can do it on those routes.

You can, however, standby/sdc beginning at 10p the day prior as an MVP instead of 6hr prior.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sturges

It’s not necessarily an MVP benefit as everyone can do it on those routes.

You can, however, standby/sdc beginning at 10p the day prior as an MVP instead of 6hr prior.
But status does move you up the list, no?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes. I was added to the list about 30 minutes before a flight - maybe 5 minutes before boarding and 2 minutes before the GA began clearing the list. I was #1 on the list and got an aisle seat in row 3.

It looked like they cleared 10-15 standbys, but it was still nice to board with the first boarding call and have a good seat.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It should indeed.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Are there any benefits for MVPG75 flying to Europe on a partner airline award ticket? (upgrades, baggage allowances, priority, etc.)
Website doesn't list much
TIA

Last edited by faithful; Jan 17, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.