Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
a 50% COS bonus
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk MattYi!
The class of service bonus might be quite important for your trip because that applies to your EQM. So, most business class international AA fares will earn more than HU (unless you can find a good deal on an R fare instead of an I fare). There are currently some inexpensive flights in business on AA from LAS to PEK. You wouldn't earn AS miles for LAS-LAX, but you'd earn for the LAX-PEK legs and end up just shy of 19K miles (~18750). If you add a separate AS segment SEA-LAS, that another 1732 EQM r/t. I don't think HU (or another AS partner) flies PEK-PVG, though...
The other HU example @safari ari posted should earn ~15675 EQM and then you'd book a separate SEA-LAX (or even SEA-PDX-LAX) for an extra ~1900 (or ~2700) EQM r/t.
FYI: it's currently less expensive to book through the Hainan website ($1800 vs $2000 on GF). They have a constant 15-20% fare sale due to their 25th anniversary. It may be even cheaper on the 7th-9th of each month - they run additional discounts on those days.
Good luck finding something that works for you in business class - seems more comfortable than 14 hours in coach DXB-SEA!

Last edited by DrAlex; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
For that much money, you could probably find a direct/one stop business class ticket to PVG and back, maybe even a little more on AA or HU.

Random date example from LAX-PVG R/T on HU business:

November looks wide open for these amounts, and HU is a pretty nice airline to take, especially if you get their new business class seats.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I was thinking the same thing .... except the AA part. US based carriers just aren't that cheap, but many of the mainland Chinese carriers are.

Another suggestion is to look just across the border, as there is a glut of carriers flying to Asia with both cheap coach and Biz fares. IMHO, you should be able to fly to China for under $1K in coach.
Originally Posted by DrAlex
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk MattYi!
The class of service bonus might be quite important for your trip because that applies to your EQM. So, most business class international AA fares will earn more than HU (unless you can find a good deal on an R fare instead of an I fare). There are currently some inexpensive flights in business on AA from LAS to PEK. You wouldn't earn AS miles for LAS-LAX, but you'd earn for the LAX-PEK legs and end up just shy of 19K miles (~18750). If you add a separate AS segment SEA-LAS, that another 1732 EQM r/t. I don't think HU (or another AS partner) flies PEK-PVG, though...
The other HU example @safari ari posted should earn ~15675 EQM and then you'd book a separate SEA-LAX (or even SEA-PDX-LAX) for an extra ~1900 (or ~2700) EQM r/t.
FYI: it's currently less expensive to book through the Hainan website ($1800 vs $2000 on GF). They have a constant 15-20% fare sale due to their 25th anniversary. It may be even cheaper on the 7th-9th of each month - they run additional discounts on those days.
Good luck finding something that work for you in business class - seems more comfortable than 14 hours in coach DXB-SEA!
You guys gave me a huge amount of useful information, thanks to all of you!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:22 am

Hi. I'm new to booking award flights on AS. I live in the PNW and have a bad back so my interest is booking award flights for longer legs in first/business class, ideally with lie-flat seats.

1. Is it possible to fly J class on BA or AA for TATL flights by booking on MP points? Again, my interest is finding flights with lie-flat seats. My TATL award searches so far only show bookings in coach for the TATL leg which would be very unpleasant for me.
2. Is it possible to book YVR--JFK on AA points flying on CX? I have not seen any such availability in my searches so far. My interest with that flight is of course the lie-flats / flat beds in CX J class.

Thanks,
Genouver

Last edited by Genouver; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:26 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Genouver
Hi. I'm new to booking award flights on AS. I live in the PNW and have a bad back so my interest is booking award flights for longer legs in first/business class, ideally with lie-flat seats.

1. Is it possible to fly J class on BA or AA for TATL flights by booking on MP points? Again, my interest is finding flights with lie-flat seats. My TATL award searches so far only show bookings in coach for the TATL leg which would be very unpleasant for me.
2. Is it possible to book YVR--JFK on AA points flying on CX? I have not seen any such availability in my searches so far. My interest with that flight is of course the lie-flats / flat beds in CX J class.

Thanks,
Genouver
You can book CX YVR-JFK but you need to call Alaska to check availability and book it. You wont find it online. You can book a separate award from PNW to YVR for as low as 5K.

BA is difficult to find in J & F for TATL especially for summer season. BA has very expensive surcharges than can exceed $1000 depending on route and class. AA saver awards in premium cabins are difficult to rare.

You might also want to look at BA from YVR, LAS & PHX which would include AS service from the PNW.

Partner Finnair is now available for online booking too.

James
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Questions from an AS newbie (longtime AA flyer)

Hello,

I am a long time American Airlines flyer, but am very new to the Alaska Airlines program. Several months ago I created new Mileage Plan accounts for myself, my wife, and 2 kids in anticipation that we will want to purchase miles to redeem for travel.

I was targeted for the 50% bonus for purchased Mileage Plan miles, which I plan on taking advantage of. I have some questions about purchasing miles and the Mileage Plan program in general:
  1. Can I purchase multiple batches of miles? On AA, there is a yearly maximum that one can purchase, is there a similar limitation in Mileage Plan? I need 200,000 miles, so I will need purchase those in 3 transactions to maximize the 50% bonus, so I'm trying to figure out if I can purchase all the miles I need into my account or if I need to purchase miles for each of the 4 accounts separately.
  2. Does the credit card used to purchase the miles need to have the same name as the AS account? In other words, can I use credit card in my wife's name (different last name; maiden name) to purchase miles for my AS account?
  3. Can I redeem miles from my account for family members? Our AS accounts are all setup and linked together several months ago.
  4. How long do purchased miles and bonus miles take to deposit?
  5. Can I hold an award reservation on AS for a few days for partner award so I can complete the miles purchase and don't lose the inventory?
I appreciate feedback on these questions, so I can begin making my travel plans. Thank you!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Hello,

I am a long time American Airlines flyer, but am very new to the Alaska Airlines program. Several months ago I created new Mileage Plan accounts for myself, my wife, and 2 kids in anticipation that we will want to purchase miles to redeem for travel.

I was targeted for the 50% bonus for purchased Mileage Plan miles, which I plan on taking advantage of. I have some questions about purchasing miles and the Mileage Plan program in general:
  1. Can I purchase multiple batches of miles? On AA, there is a yearly maximum that one can purchase, is there a similar limitation in Mileage Plan? I need 200,000 miles, so I will need purchase those in 3 transactions to maximize the 50% bonus, so I'm trying to figure out if I can purchase all the miles I need into my account or if I need to purchase miles for each of the 4 accounts separately.
  2. Does the credit card used to purchase the miles need to have the same name as the AS account? In other words, can I use credit card in my wife's name (different last name; maiden name) to purchase miles for my AS account?
  3. Can I redeem miles from my account for family members? Our AS accounts are all setup and linked together several months ago.
  4. How long do purchased miles and bonus miles take to deposit?
  5. Can I hold an award reservation on AS for a few days for partner award so I can complete the miles purchase and don't lose the inventory?
I appreciate feedback on these questions, so I can begin making my travel plans. Thank you!
1. I don't believe there is a limit to the number of miles/transactions you can purchase. I'm sure you can buy 1,000,000 miles if you are looking to gamble!
2. Nope
3. Yes, you can redeem from your account for family members. If you by chance have status matched from AA, it would carry some elite benefits if you booked it versus a non-status member.
4. Usually it's instant, but it sounds like this round of bonuses is taking up to 24 hours to post (there are even some 26 hour reports out there *GASP*).
5. Nope, not that I'm aware of (or at least that has been shared here on FT).
AAMCI likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Ok Happy, why ask if you have it all figured out? I said THINK IRROPS, same procedure. I didn't say it was IRROPS, you are wrong, but whatever!

If CX shows that you are on the later flight then how can you not be ticketed? No need to answer! I am very much disinterested!

Can anyone other than Happy confirm that involuntary changes are subject to a change fee?

James

EDIT: I just received an email from AS letting me know my flight times changed on an upcoming CX award. No reissue, no need to call! No new confirmation email. New flight times show in myTrips. hmmmm...
FYI James,

AS sent 2 emails to me, 10 days apart, URGED me to contact them. The 2nd email came 3 days ago.

Finally today being the last day of the free change deadline when there is still no reward seats available to change to, I called AS.

Agent REISSUED the tickets while we were on the phone, gave me the new ticket numbers and the website now reflects the NEW tickets.

Seems to me you dont understand the difference of being ticketed versus the ticket needs to be reissued.

The promised confirmation email from AS has not come, but I am able to request a Receipt from AS, which shows the NEW flight schedule (date changed, because it now departs at 00:05 flight number also changed).

Our AS tickets now have NEW NUMBERS.

When I asked here, I was a bit worried if the reissuance not taken in place long enough, would CX cancel the booking. Apparently CX kept the rebooking just as the original one, showing "Status Confirmed" when I checked it every 3 days, leading to the deadline today when my one shot free change expires.

Originally Posted by sturges
Uhh, AS agents have the authority to waive change fees if the situation warrants it. Just tell the agent that you want that noted on your reservation when you call to reconfirm it.
Thanks for the information. It was so close to the deadline of the eligible free change I decided to just ride it out.

Tody I called and asked if I needed to speak to the partner desk. The Agent said she might be able to help, took a look and immediately saw the schedule changed, added, "You need New Tickets, and I can take care of it."

Whoever claims no need to reissue tickets if only schedule changes by the airlines are partly wrong - when it is the Native program's own metals, yes, there is no need to reissue. When it is the Partners flights changes, a reissue is a MUST.

I know that a reissue is needed, just not sure if the reissue is not done for long enough, would I risk lose the booking. Apparently with CX, it does not matter. I do know one could not take chance with certain airlines such as LATAM, or IB for example but that is another topic.

Post the follow up in hope that wrong information would not mislead others reading this thread.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:11 pm

If I have an international partner J award, can I take a voluntarily downgrade on the AS segment? AS saver Y is available but not AS Saver J. If I do take the downgrade, as a non-elite, can I be added to the upgrade list since I paid the J award price but am seated in Y? If Saver J space opens up between now and departure on the same flight I'm on in Y, can I move into the J cabin without paying the change fee?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by lakersown81
If I have an international partner J award, can I take a voluntarily downgrade on the AS segment? AS saver Y is available but not AS Saver J. If I do take the downgrade, as a non-elite, can I be added to the upgrade list since I paid the J award price but am seated in Y? If Saver J space opens up between now and departure on the same flight I'm on in Y, can I move into the J cabin without paying the change fee?
Yes, you can select AS saver coach with Partner J (or F for that matter), and you can move to AS saver First if that opens without a change fee as long as you're staying on the same flights. However, there isn't a waitlist for it and you'll need to monitor for space on your own such as through EF or checking manually, then call in. They're not eligible for non-elites for complimentary upgrades into U space.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Final today being the last day of the free change deadline when there is still no reward seats available to change to, I called AS
Happy, my reservation did not require a reissue; same date, different times. Your reservation required a reissue; different date. I understand that.

What you don't understand, and should be clarified for other readers, is that reissue was involuntary and therefore has nothing to do with your one free voluntary change. That was my original point which you dismissed. Had you called AS at the first notification, the ticket would have been reissued and your free voluntary change would still be intact. There would be no worry of a cancellation as you first expressed.

Please don't obsure the point and then feel the need to advise everyone for clarity that my point is incorrect.

Voluntary is not equal to involuntary. Your worries were not warranted.

Have a good flight.

James
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is Alaska known for any leniency in the status qualification? If I fly my existing plans for the rest of the year on AS, including my midcon segments in F, I'll land 83 EQM short of MVPG. Ordinarily I'd just throw in a connection somewhere (like SEA to get to PDX) to generate a few more miles, but I already have some F to PDX in my calculations and adding the connection usually kills the affordable F fare.

I'll probably add a cheap flight somewhere if I need to, but was wondering if AS has any history of giving it to you when you're close. (Automatically, that is. If I'd have to call and grovel for it, I think I'd just rather book another flight.)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'll probably add a cheap flight somewhere if I need to, but was wondering if AS has any history of giving it to you when you're close. (Automatically, that is. If I'd have to call and grovel for it, I think I'd just rather book another flight.)
I've heard stories of it, but it does involve begging over the phone and can't necessarily be counted on, so I'd add the connection somewhere.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Is Alaska known for any leniency in the status qualification? If I fly my existing plans for the rest of the year on AS, including my midcon segments in F, I'll land 83 EQM short of MVPG. Ordinarily I'd just throw in a connection somewhere (like SEA to get to PDX) to generate a few more miles, but I already have some F to PDX in my calculations and adding the connection usually kills the affordable F fare.

I don't think it'd be automatic, but in my experience, they've been pretty lenient about doing courtesy bumps like this in the past. For less than 100 miles, I'd feel confident an agent would bump you up as a courtesy. However, as they start to go down the path of other carriers' policies and fees/become a bit less customer friendly, it wouldn't surprise me if little courtesies like these begin to fall away, too, so you may want to think about adding a short hop, or splitting a nonstop to include an extra segment (e.g. add a PDX-SEA from a transcon) or something.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Question about award ticket change

Couldn't find this in the wiki...for an award ticket (my case one way) it says on the site that I get one free change to that ticket. Is that right and if so how does it work? Assume routing stays the same...and if mileage requirement change I add to it? How long of a window do you get to pick a new date? THANK YOU....

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Aug 27, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:54 pm

Is there a Y segment you can upfare to include a Class of Seevice Bonus? Even an existung hop <500 miles would give you a 125 EQM Bonus on an "M" fare if you are already Gold. If not, a Y or S fare would give you a 50% (250) bonus. Most likely cheaper and more convenient than an extra flight.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.