Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel
^ 500 mile minimum applies to EQM, as well as RDM. Class of Service bonus is calculated on the 500 base & also applies to EQM, so M is a 125 mile EQM (&RDM) bonus for a total of 625 EQM ( 875 RDM = 625 (500 base + 25% CoS) +250 (500 base x your 50% MVP bonus) ).

Plugged your segments into Milecalc, and it pretty much backs up your calculations (they use slightly different mileage on some but AS' mileage numbers are the only ones that count after all!). Looks to me like you're all set. Welcome to 2019 MVP!
Are you sure that 500 mile minimum applies to EQM? I thought it did too, however it seems my recent SFO-LAX flights credited as the actual flight miles (337) for EQM and the rest was made up for in the bonus column to get me to 1000 total miles (with 100% MVPG bonus) I wish you could track each flight's impact to your EQM on the AS website but unfortunately it seems you just have to watch the running total to figure out the impact. When looking at the mileage activity on the website, I always thought the number in the "miles" column was the actual EQM and the number in the "bonus" column was RDM factoring in your status bonus.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Are you sure that 500 mile minimum applies to EQM? I thought it did too, however it seems my recent SFO-LAX flights credited as the actual flight miles (337) for EQM and the rest was made up for in the bonus column to get me to 1000 total miles (with 100% MVPG bonus) I wish you could track each flight's impact to your EQM on the AS website but unfortunately it seems you just have to watch the running total to figure out the impact. When looking at the mileage activity on the website, I always thought the number in the "miles" column was the actual EQM and the number in the "bonus" column was RDM factoring in your status bonus.
It does apply to EQM, so if you're going to come in close on qualification this year, you should definitely get a hold of AS customer service.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I always thought the number in the "miles" column was the actual EQM and the number in the "bonus" column was RDM factoring in your status bonus.
The bonus can be different categories, either status bonus, minimum segment bonus, or both which you probably have in your case. I assume you have 500+(500-actual distance) for that one segment, if you do then the bonus is both RDM and EQM, it may be hard to tell. If this is not the case then contact AS. But on my YVR-SEA flight I have a base of 127 (actual distance) and a bonus of 998 ( (1.25x500 for status) + (500-127)) == (625+363). It is hard to tell on AS when you can't actually see the breakdown.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Forcing city for Award Booking?

Is there a way when searching for AS award availability to force it to connect through a city? I'm trying to book a BA award out of ORD, which shows availability, but when I try and add the ANC-ORD segment via multi-city it gives me an error that no space is available. It only wants to connect me through west coast AS cities.

Thanks in Advance!
Dan
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AKDan
Is there a way when searching for AS award availability to force it to connect through a city? I'm trying to book a BA award out of ORD, which shows availability, but when I try and add the ANC-ORD segment via multi-city it gives me an error that no space is available. It only wants to connect me through west coast AS cities.

Thanks in Advance!
Dan
Try calling in to book if you can find the award space searching separately. You may even get the agent to waive the phone booking fee if the website isn't allowing you to book a valid routing.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Thanks in Advance!
Dan
Is the ANC-ORD segment you're trying to add at the saver level?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Is the ANC-ORD segment you're trying to add at the saver level?
Not even getting to that point - it won't show me any options. I might have to end up giving them a call.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:58 pm

Not even getting to that point - it won't show me any options. I might have to end up giving them a call.
I'd double check on the saver for that segment. It'll return no space available if there's no routing either nonstop, or via an intermediate city such as SEA.

I was able to find a routing in March, but it took jumping around a bunch of days to find it.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'd double check on the saver for that segment. It'll return no space available if there's no routing either nonstop, or via an intermediate city such as SEA.

I was able to find a routing in March, but it took jumping around a bunch of days to find it.
Is there a particular reason / do you WANT a 36h stopover in ORD? Because that might be messing with the system if you're e.g. trying to have a stopover somewhere else, too.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is there a particular reason / do you WANT a 36h stopover in ORD? Because that might be messing with the system if you're e.g. trying to have a stopover somewhere else, too.
That was me, just inputting dates. I don't think the OP specified a stopover at ORD, just trying to route via there.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:49 am

Mvp gold, changed to a later flight

Within the 'change to a later/earlier' flight window, I changed to a later flight. Later flight shows 7 seats available in F. The messaging re F wait-list disappeared after I checked in, so I called and asked to be put on the wait list but was told there was no space available.

Seems unusual, but something similar happened to me before (chg flight day before) and I called and was put back on a wait list. Any exp with this? I thought the point of a wait list is for when there is 'no space available'. Is there anyway to avoid this happening when we opt for an earlier or later flight?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by BOSdubair
Within the 'change to a later/earlier' flight window, I changed to a later flight. Later flight shows 7 seats available in F. The messaging re F wait-list disappeared after I checked in, so I called and asked to be put on the wait list but was told there was no space available.

Seems unusual, but something similar happened to me before (chg flight day before) and I called and was put back on a wait list. Any exp with this? I thought the point of a wait list is for when there is 'no space available'. Is there anyway to avoid this happening when we opt for an earlier or later flight?

Thanks!
Some agents seem to have no idea about how upgrades work. A while back, I did a SDC and didn't make it back on the waitlist. I went to the gate to get re-added and the agent said, "there are only 3 seats available and lots of people on the list, there's no point." I asked to be added anyway. Went right to #1 position and later cleared at the gate.

So just ask to be added anyway, or go find an agent that will add you.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:40 pm

Word! Will be persistent with this one.

Was once told flat out at Boston that there 'was no upgrade list' available >.>
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:11 am

If I am in Osaka and my final destination is Vancouver and I want to take First Class JAL.

Does alaska miles allow a re-position from Osaka to Tokyo? Then Tokyo to LAX, then to YVR?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:16 am

nevermind.... answered my own question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.