Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Just to be clear, it is one Partner per direction. You can book an award as a return or two one-ways. So you could book JL LAX-TYO-ICN & KE ICN-LAX. Either way will allow a stopover; two stopovers for a return and one stopover on the one-way award.

AA LAX-NRT is 110K AS Miles in F, JL SFO-HND is 75K AS miles in F. Both allow AS connecting flights to the gayeway, yet only JL will allow you to continue on beyond Tokyo with or without a stopover. Easy to see where the better value is. ^

James
Yup, got it.

Just used to combining partners for a reward, like Asiana to ICN to SQ to NRT (don't know about AS, but SQ does NOT release any reward flights to UA except intra Asia) to UA. The stopover on a one way is a nice perk UA does not have.

And I fully expect to retire my flying days with exaclty ONE flight in Int'l First - a splurge after reading a trip report on TG A380 with Dom Perignon just before UA devalued reward redemption.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond
BOA Companion Fare Question

OK, I called AS on this but I'm still dubious. Booking a Companion Fare ticket for me and the GF. GF is 100% going but my plans my change. They told me to book myself as the Primary and her as the companion. Can someone confirm this is accurate? I understand that I will need to pay a change fee/fare difference but just want to be sure I won't have to pay another change fee for her and she can keep the original reservation. Thanks!

UPDATE: I called again and spoke with a more experienced agent. She said I should book myself as the COMPANION. I thought that was the case!

Last edited by mark diver; Aug 3, 2018 at 11:06 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Quick question - There's an "Asia to Asia" under Cathay/JAL in the award chart, and the map shows Asia as.... REALLY big. Including up to turkey, so basically all of continental Asia. Is it really only 45k RT in J (CX) or 50k (JAL) for, say, HKG-AMM (that's the furthest west i can see included)? HKG-DXB? HKG-TYO? TYO-DOH? Thanks!

What would the stopover rules on such a RT be?

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 4, 2018 at 12:56 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Quick question - There's an "Asia to Asia" under Cathay/JAL in the award chart, and the map shows Asia as.... REALLY big. Including up to turkey, so basically all of continental Asia. Is it really only 45k RT in J (CX) or 50k (JAL) for, say, HKG-AMM (that's the furthest west i can see included)? HKG-DXB? HKG-TYO? TYO-DOH? Thanks!

What would the stopover rules on such a RT be?
You need to look at the award chart for Asia to India & South Asia for CX. JL is an Asia to Asia award. Neither CX or JL fly directly to AMD. You could fly to BOM on CX for 60K return in J or DEL from TYO on JL for 50K return.

The only stopovers would be HKG for CX or TYO for JL. For instance, you could fly JL HKG-TYO/stop/TYO DEL or SIN-TYO/stop/TYO-DEL. For CX TYO-HKG/stop/HKG-BOM or SIN-HKG/stop/HKG-BOM.

James
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to look at the award chart for Asia to India & South Asia for CX. JL is an Asia to Asia award. Neither CX or JL fly directly to AMD. You could fly to BOM on CX for 60K return in J or DEL from TYO on JL for 50K return.

The only stopovers would be HKG for CX or TYO for JL. For instance, you could fly JL HKG-TYO/stop/TYO DEL or SIN-TYO/stop/TYO-DEL. For CX TYO-HKG/stop/HKG-BOM or SIN-HKG/stop/HKG-BOM.

James
Can I do a stopover in TPE? CX flies TPE-NRT as a 5th freedom route.

JAL also flies from other Japanese airports that I could presumably use for stopovers, like KIX?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Can I do a stopover in TPE? CX flies TPE-NRT as a 5th freedom route.

JAL also flies from other Japanese airports that I could presumably use for stopovers, like KIX?
Not sure on the Fifth Freedom flight on CX. Only one partner per award so it would have to be CX into TPE.

Looking further, I do see that KIX would be a possible stopover point for Intra Asia on JL but dependent on routing.

James
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by EmailKid
.... Not that I've earned miles for even a domestic flight so far .....
Time to apply for the BofA AS credit card.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure on the Fifth Freedom flight on CX. Only one partner per award so it would have to be CX into TPE.

Looking further, I do see that KIX would be a possible stopover point for Intra Asia on JL but dependent on routing.

James
I'm looking at something like

SIN-BKK-HKG-TPE-ICN (all are operated by CX, stopover in either BKK, HKG or TPE)

GMP-HND-KIX-BKK (all are operated by JAL, stopover in either HND or KIX)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm looking at something like

SIN-BKK-HKG-TPE-ICN (all are operated by CX, stopover in either BKK, HKG or TPE)

GMP-HND-KIX-BKK (all are operated by JAL, stopover in either HND or KIX)
CX no stopovers unless north america is involved

JL stopover allowed in Tokyo on intraasia award. It's the only partner that allows a stopover of any kind on intra regional award ( though none allowed in Japan to Japan)
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AK
CX reward question

Using CX reward can I travel from Bali-layover HK-PDX using 35K in PE? I can't use reward to fly on Cathay Dragon, correct?
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
CX no stopovers unless north america is involved

JL stopover allowed in Tokyo on intraasia award. It's the only partner that allows a stopover of any kind on intra regional award ( though none allowed in Japan to Japan)
So no stopovers on non-NA awards? Where is that in the rules if you don't mind me asking? What about HU?

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 5, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AK
My flight did include North America. PDX=Portland. So......Bali-HongKong (2 day layover) -Portland is allowed for 35K PE, correct?

Last edited by pdxflyer00; Aug 5, 2018 at 11:14 am Reason: mistake
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: most
Is it possible to re assign award miles ( ie to SQ - which is a partner on the class I flew) after the flight. Forgot to change the mileage number at. Checkin - cheers ( I did Ring but office closed)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So no stopovers on non-NA awards? Where is that in the rules if you don't mind me asking? What about HU?
It's one of many unpublished rules. It was actually quite shocking when people were posting ability to stopover on JL intra Asia and Missy came on to say that it was special to JL. Each partnership negotiated individually so wierd exceptions show up. Hainan for example is more limited, if you look at the chart they have China to China and no intra Asia chart, so most limited of the Asian partners.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
It's one of many unpublished rules. It was actually quite shocking when people were posting ability to stopover on JL intra Asia and Missy came on to say that it was special to JL. Each partnership negotiated individually so wierd exceptions show up. Hainan for example is more limited, if you look at the chart they have China to China and no intra Asia chart, so most limited of the Asian partners.
That sucks to hear though, because I was really looking forward to doing some stopover-flying intra-Asia, hell, even intra-China on HU... damn. I'll have to re-think my entire plan now...

Particularly sad because this: https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...nal-stopovers/

really just says no restrictions.

"Alaska has a particularly generous policy for booking stopovers on award tickets. You get one stopover for each one-way ticket, which means two stopovers when you fly round-trip! Many other carriers allow no stopovers at all, or only one stopover on round-trip itineraries."

no asterisk for "only transcontinental travel qualifies" or anything.

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 5, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.